2023 Draft Talk

swede700

56 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

New Kiper Mock 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/draft2023/insider/story/_/id/35898637/2023-nfl-mock-draft-mel-kiper-post-free-agency-first-round-predictions-31-picks-third-version

23. Minnesota Vikings

Quentin Johnston, WR, TCU

I'm switching gears a bit for the Vikings, as I had projected a cornerback here in my first two mock drafts. They could still go that way, as adding Byron Murphy helps fill their immediate hole. At receiver, though, with Adam Thielen gone, I love the idea of Johnston playing on the other side of Justin Jefferson, helping take defensive backs away. The 6-foot-3 Johnston will be an immediate red zone threat in the NFL, and his skills after the catch mean he will break a bunch of tackles and score long touchdowns. I know K.J. Osborn has earned a bigger role in the Minnesota offense, but there's room for Johnston too.

Johnston is probably on my top 3 want list. 

• Like 1

Just seen Danial Jeremiah latest mock draft ( 3.0 ) and he has the Vikings taking Hendon Hooker at 23.

I really like this pick, but would love to trade back into the late 1st or early 2nd and take Hooker and maybe pick up an extra pick or 2.

I’ve seen more than just Jeremiah ( Bucky’s top 5. Hooker is number 3 ) who really like Hooker and his talent levels. 

He can flat out manage a game and make great decisions. ( explains the 58 tds to only 5 picks the last 2 years ) 

So, I’m on board with pick…

41 minutes ago, Vikes22 said:

Just seen Danial Jeremiah latest mock draft ( 3.0 ) and he has the Vikings taking Hendon Hooker at 23.

I really like this pick, but would love to trade back into the late 1st or early 2nd and take Hooker and maybe pick up an extra pick or 2.

I’ve seen more than just Jeremiah ( Bucky’s top 5. Hooker is number 3 ) who really like Hooker and his talent levels. 

He can flat out manage a game and make great decisions. ( explains the 58 tds to only 5 picks the last 2 years ) 

Too old for a 1st round pick. He's maxed physically and coming off a major injury. I hope he success but I don't want the Vikings to take that risk.

Edited by JDBrocks
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Vikes22 said:

I disagree.  There's absolutely no way he can be taken in the first round.  If he were, that would be the first 1st round pick for the Vikings I'd be angry about since Christian Ponder (and even then, I probably wasn't as angry as I would be about this). 

In DJ's scenario, they'd be passing on both Deonte Banks and Quentin Johnson.  I'm not a huge proponent of taking a WR, but I'd definitely take one over Hooker. 

Edited by swede700
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, swede700 said:

In DJ's scenario, they'd be passing on both Deonte Banks and Quentin Johnson.  I'm not a huge proponent of taking a WR, but I'd definitely take one over Hooker. 

Same boat. I think the only way I would be “okay” with it is if it was about the last pick of the first round and just trying to lock in that 5th year option. 

but in reality if your rookie QB is entering on playing on his 5th year contract, there is a solid chance we never made a big run at a Super Bowl anyway.

Just now, gopherwrestler said:

but in reality if your rookie QB is entering on playing on his 5th year contract, there is a solid chance we never made a big run at a Super Bowl anyway.

And he'd be 30 yrs old on his 5th yr contract. 

29 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Too old for a 1st round pick. He's maxed physically and coming off a major injury. I hope he succeeds but I don't want the Vikings to take that risk.

Yep, he probably is maxed. I’ll take 6000 plus yards passing, over 1000 yards rushing and a TD/INT ratio of 58-5 over 2 years any day of the week..

1 minute ago, Vikes22 said:

You do know that Kirk Cousins 1st year in Minnesota, he was 30 years old…

And had already been in the league for 6 years and 2 franchise tags...and was taken in the 4th rd, not the 1st.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, swede700 said:

And had already been in the league for 6 years and 2 franchise tags...and was taken in the 4th rd, not the 1st.

Correct… Washington wasted a ton of money on their 1st round pick. But, we’re smart enough to pick him. 

I think they were drafting on potential that year… like some people are this year. ( Richardson) just saying. Kirk was just that average QB, but has made millions as a really good QB.

7 minutes ago, Vikes22 said:

Yep, he probably is maxed. I’ll take 6000 plus yards passing, over 1000 yards rushing and a TD/INT ratio of 58-5 over 2 years any day of the week..

In a college spread offense playing against guys that he's 3-5 years older than. He should be that much better when he's so much more physically mature. I'm not saying he can't be a good QB, I'm saying it's not a smart risk for the Vikings to take when they'd be wasting at least one year of an already older rookie's contract.

• Like 1

Just now, JDBrocks said:

In a college spread offense playing against guys that he's 3-5 years older than. He should be that much better when he's so much more physically mature. I'm not saying he can't be a good QB, I'm saying it's not a smart risk for the Vikings to take when they'd be wasting at least one year of an already older rookie's contract.

Agreed.  I'm not really a fan of taking him at all, because I prefer a younger guy with upside, but definitely wouldn't take him before the 3rd rd.  If they were to take him before that...in the 2nd, I'd be disappointed, in the 1st, I'd be outright angry.  😂 (yes, I'm laughing at that, because in the end, it's only football)