2023 Draft Talk

swede700

19 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

Hooker in the first is a bigger reach than Christian Ponder. 

I agree, they might as well wait till next year for a QB in a much deep QB class and they could get far better value.  I would be ok if Levis fell and they picked him but not Hooker, especially coming from an offense like that at Tennessee...

Hooker to the Vikings just seems like an attempted punt on the season.  I would much rather have Addison at WR, or Johnston if they like him enough or a CB, or a LB....  Better yet trade back and get into the 2nd round to get better value and potentially a equal player.  

Myles Murphy Clemson JR DE
Jaxon Smith-Njigba Ohio State JR WR
Lukas Van Ness Iowa RS SOPH DE/DT
Tyree Wilson Texas Tech SR DE
Will Levis Kentucky RS SR QB
Nolan Smith Georgia SR DE/OLB
Bijan Robinson Texas JR RB
Joey Porter Jr Penn State RS JR CB

Any of these guys fall to the Vikings I would take them no question.

Currently I have Tyree Wilson in a bit of a fall, Nolan Smith, Van Ness and Murphy all worked out great.  Have not heard Wilson perform yet, and if not he might drop a bit.  If he is there no way the Vikings do not take him.  He could be a monster 3/4 DE or solid edge guy.  I think Davenport can be that push 3/4 DE but would be hard to pass on any of the guys above if they fall, Hooker is not in the list obviously.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KeithVikings28 said:

Tennessee played a very basic scheme. Never did he have to go through NFL reads and progressions. 

yes, i read that TENN's plays all had one receiver already designated in the play, that's all they were.

16 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

yes, i read that TENN's plays all had one receiver already designated in the play, that's all they were.

The field is only a half read. Hooker has never read the full field and made those kind of progressions. Don’t get me wrong he’d be a good backup but he’s not a NFL starting QB. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KeithVikings28 said:

The field is only a half read. Hooker has never read the full field and made those kind of progressions. Don’t get me wrong he’d be a good backup but he’s not a NFL starting QB. 

He could develop into a starting NFL QB no question, but not sure one wants him to be a franchise QB long term.

55 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

He could develop into a starting NFL QB no question, but not sure one wants him to be a franchise QB long term.

Well, he’s old and hasn’t developed at this point. It’s easier to teach someone who is green than it is to unlearn habits then reteach. I wouldn’t touch him until day 3. He’s not the most accurate QB and doesn’t have the best feel and touch either. 

Edited by KeithVikings28

I get to this point every year at this time and make basically the same comment...there is no player in any draft guaranteed to be a success  in the NFL or a bust in the NFL.  To talk about Hooker being a failure as an NFL starter with the certainty that some in this thread are talking is nothing more than conjecture. It's okay to have an opinion...but doggone it...label it as your opinion.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

I get to this point every year at this time and make basically the same comment...there is no player in any draft guaranteed to be a success  in the NFL or a bust in the NFL.  To talk about Hooker being a failure as an NFL starter with the certainty that some in this thread are talking is nothing more than conjecture. It's okay to have an opinion...but doggone it...label it as your opinion.

Isn't it clear all this is opinion?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Isn't it clear all this is opinion?

No, I don't think that it is just opinion for some.   The absolute certainty of some opinion leaves little room for discussion.   You all, in my opinion, aren't having a discussion about Hooker.  You're having a debate.  There's little respect for the either the subject, Hooker, nor anyone with a different thought.  When someone says they might stop being a Vikings fan if this player is drafted is representative of someone not interested in any other thinking.  Maybe I am wrong.  But this is my observation. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KeithVikings28 said:

Well, he’s old and hasn’t developed at this point. It’s easier to teach someone who is green than it is to unlearn habits then reteach. I wouldn’t touch him until day 3. He’s not the most accurate QB and doesn’t have the best feel and touch either. 

I don’t believe that at 25.
I believe there is a saying there is no smart man until they turn the age of 35… more to it but we won’t go that far.

at 27 no matter what profession you are in you better be in a learning stage, and even letting go of bad habits stage. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KeithVikings28 said:

I seriously don't understand where you get the ideas that roll off your fingertips . . . Yeah, Hooker's older, and no, I wouldn't like him at #23.  

However, for you to say he's bad?  He had his team vying to be the #1 team in the country . . . and Georgia had something to say about that.  I'll tell ya my opinion . . .  health being health, leadership being leadership -- that guy plays winning ball . . . Hooker's a ton better than Levis or Richardson, even if he's not as physically gifted.  

When this is all said and done, looking back in 5 years, maybe all three of those guys bust.  But the one most likely to succeed is Hooker.

• Like 1

I think we’re going to draft QB somewhere this year and he will be the heir apparent. KAM may not want to go in to the season without “the next QB” to takeover (on the roster already) should Cousins take us to the divisional with the help of better defence. Then he can easily walk away from Cousins in Feb 2024, and picking around ~26th in the draft. 

3 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

I think we’re going to draft QB somewhere this year and he will be the heir apparent. KAM may not want to go in to the season without “the next QB” to takeover (on the roster already) should Cousins take us to the divisional with the help of better defence. Then he can easily walk away from Cousins in Feb 2024, and picking around ~26th in the draft. 

Could be, hard to say.

Or...he could be drafting the QB who becomes the eventual #2, and next year goes after a blue chipper.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Could be, hard to say.

Or...he could be drafting the QB who becomes the eventual #2, and next year goes after a blue chipper.

If Vikings are sitting in and around ~25th pick in 2024 and no QB on roster, it could challenge KAM to walk away from Cousins if he wins a playoff game as an example. Then how do you climb from that low for a blue chipper? Might be alot to ask KAM to wait and possibly be left with nothing.  Which is why I think he is more proactive in this draft, and takes someone, who he will hand the starting job to in 2024, regardless of cousins performance/playoff run

Edited by CriminalMind
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

If Vikings are sitting in and around ~25th pick in 2024 and no QB on roster, it could challenge KAM to walk away from Cousins if he wins a playoff game as an example. Then how do you climb from that low for a blue chipper? Might be alot to ask KAM to wait and possibly be left with nothing.  Which is why I think he is more proactive in this draft, and takes someone, who he will hand the starting job to in 2024, regardless of cousins performance/playoff run

yeah, i get it. i get the concerns and analysis you're bringing up. and i hope he DOES go for a QB this year.

but other teams will be gunning for their QB's too and we might just lose out on a getting a first rounder, and have to settle for someone in rounds 3-4 who has a less likely chance of being "the guy."

so there are KAM's intentions, and there are actually what goes down.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

yeah, i get it. i get the concerns and analysis you're bringing up. and i hope he DOES go for a QB this year.

but other teams will be gunning for their QB's too and we might just lose out on a getting a first rounder, and have to settle for someone in rounds 3-4 who has a less likely chance of being "the guy."

so there are KAM's intentions, and there are actually what goes down.

Yup. Inflexibility and panic is how you end up with Christian Ponder.