2023 Draft Talk

swede700

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

You have the choice of Deonte Banks, Jordan Addison or trade down at 23. These are your only options

What are you doing in this hypothetical situation and why?

For me, I'm taking Banks. As much as I like Addison, and I like recouping some draft capital, I think Banks is a perfect scheme fit for our defense.

I'm trading down.  I don't like either player enough that I can't get a similar one later and get additional picks in return.

• Like 1

How far are people willing to trade down? Kwesi traded down 20 spots last year, are people OK with moving down to the early 40's?

It is tough to judge these hypothetical trade down scenarios if compensation isn't being discussed. I understand it is a fruitless discussion but it does add an important element.

8 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

How far are people willing to trade down? Kwesi traded down 20 spots last year, are people OK with moving down to the early 40's?

It is tough to judge these hypothetical trade down scenarios if compensation isn't being discussed. I understand it is a fruitless discussion but it does add an important element.

20 spots? I'd want that and a 4th this year and a 2nd next year? Is that realistic? (I want as many assets for the draft next year as possibl)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VikeManDan said:

I wouldn't actually be all that opposed to moving down to the early 40s.  This is another of those drafts that has a few elite players at the top (maybe even less this year) and then probably 40 or so players that you could throw in a hat and you'd come out with a good player no matter who it is. 

For me, there isn't a significant enough difference between a Deonte Banks (#24 in NFLMDD consensus big board) and Julius Brents (#59) or between Nolan Smith (#18) and BJ Ojulari (#48) or Jordan Addison (#21) and Josh Downs (#51) that I wouldn't be willing to risk not getting one of those guys that are considered higher. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

20 spots? I'd want that and a 4th this year and a 2nd next year? Is that realistic? (I want as many assets for the draft next year as possible)

I thought future draft picks were valued (point-wise) as being worth one round later?  If so, shouldn't we be able to get at least a 2nd round pick this year and a 2nd next year?

Just now, perrynoid said:

I thought future draft picks were valued (point-wise) as being worth one round later?  If so, shouldn't we be able to get at least a 2nd round pick this year and a 2nd next year?

down 20 spots is a 2nd this year.....I though that was in the scenario....

Edited by PrplChilPill
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

We don't need to trade down when we have Cook and Z. Smith to be traded!

6 hours ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

By definition, QB friendly teams will inflate the stats of their offensive personnel.  This broadens the statistical differences between them, making it easier to detect elite outliers.  To compare apples to apples, we should compare such assets not to previous ones on that team but to other contemporary spread and/or elite QBs.  No recent QB of any sort has been first among the top five QBs in seven of the ten categories geeks use to measure pivots in isolation.  The other three categories?  Two seconds and a third.

That too, yes.  Hendon will be long gone before #23.  Also, the Vikes have other priorities. 

Hooker's prospects will rely a lot more on where he goes than where he's from.  He might not be the Fantasy bonanza that Richardson will be but if he's healthy his NFL offense (Tampa Bay?) will be more successful than those of Young-Stroud, whereupon his detractors will attribute the rise in fortunes to everyone but Hendon.  We've all seen this movie before. :(

So I take it you have no clue who those other QBs are that are in Josh Heupel's coaching tree?  How is that not relevant?  Sorry I do not look at "seven of the ten categories" of stats some use for QB evaluation.  That is just kind of lazy and this is not about math, one can use math and stats to back things up and try to find something new but it is not the be all and end all.

In next years draft class not sure I would take Hendon Hooker over any of these guys, so honestly he is not this amazing QB prospect, and proof of that is look at him on Virginia Tech, he was good but not some great player.  He benefits greatly from this class being a some what weak class in general.  

Caleb Williams USC JR
Drake Maye UNC RS SOPH
Michael Penix Jr Washington RS
JJ McCarthy Michigan JR
Spencer Rattler South Carolina RS
Bo Nix Oregon RS
Jordan Travis Florida State RS

Actually Bryce Young had a **** supporting cast and not sure any WR on that team will be a 1st round pick, not even close to it and no RB will, maybe Gibbs but I doubt he is a 1st rounder and no OL on that team will be a 1st rounder either, maybe Booker but no guys this up coming draft for sure.  So he actually was not around much talent at all and did great things with it and was far more impressive over his entire career than Hooker ever was.  Hooker is a decent 2nd rounder, is a big of a reach if one gets him in the 1st.  

Aidan O'Connell is far cheaper than Hooker would be, and has probably better touch on his passes and could be a developmental guy.