2023 Draft Talk

swede700

32 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Lolz. 

Still laughing right…

Oh How about your gem of a prediction (below)…

On 1/18/2023 at 7:17 PM, wcblack34 said:

Gonna be a lot of ticked off people when that Cousins extension gets announced before free agency starts. 

1 minute ago, CriminalMind said:

Still laughing right…

Oh How about your gem of a prediction (below)…

Yep. I was wrong about that. But at least I’m not going around predicting that Kwesi is making reach QB picks because he thinks it’s going to get him an extension next season instead of, you know, putting together a quality team. 

11 hours ago, Vikes22 said:

So,one year is gonna make such big difference??? But. Yet some are saying Hooker could be the best to be coming out of this class. 

Again, Cousins 1st year here, he was 30…

Cousins came in as a 24 year old rookie. At 21, do you think he would have still been a 4th round pick?

Honestly, I don't know. That 2012 class was a fun one!

14 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

There’s just nothing special about Hooker. And the more I watch him, he just comes across more and more as a product of the offense, and Heupel. 

If that is true, then there is about 100 plus D1 schools that should be watching the tape as well and figuring out how they do it so well and how a QB could have such great numbers over a 2 year span.

mostly playing in the SEC.. 

3. Ohio State QB C.J. Stroud (Minnesota Vikings)

Cardinals receive: 23rd Overall (245), 87 (48), 2024 1st round Pick (184), 2025 1st round Pick (184) = Total 661

Vikings receive: 3rd Overall (514) = Total 514

The Vikings mortgaged their future to acquire their successor to Kirk Cousins. Stoud possesses an NFL-level arm with good power and accuracy. He also can make quick reads in the passing game. Ohio State equipped him with a plethora of weapons to work with and now he will have the opportunity to pair with arguably the best wide receiver in Justin Jefferson.

Every move of this nature involves risk, but the Vikings can now begin building their future around a dynamic quarterback and wide receiver duo.

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/lists/vikings-nfl-draft-cj-stroud-evan-hull-siaki-ika-cory-trice-dontayvion-wicks/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR1UeAYpUqhvgZzV5gFcyoXkBghTqmHCN7pnQy3fQty9XW9pRm1TZJc32bU

To me it’s either Will Levis or Anthony Richardson.

Bryce Young is leaps and bounds above everyone else.

Cj Stroud and Hendon Hooker are just blah. 

Day 2/3 Guys I’d like to see are Stetson Bennett and Jaren Hall. 

Preferably Stetson Bennett though. He does a lot of things right. And his draft position to his value are high IMO.

I would only trade up for Young or Stroud. So, I would be ok with this trade.  I would take Levis if he fell to me. Just not sold on him. I would be just fine with Hooker at 23 or even trading back and picking him. Wouldn’t take Richardson until at least the 3rd round. He not accurate and that should be a QB’s best asset. 

• Like 1

I think the pressure cooker dynamic of trading up for a QB creates a losing scenario in most cases.  The team, even with all the homework, may never know the kid's true character and personality until he's been in the grind a few months.

It's like, "why did Dak Prescott, Russell Wilson, Cousins and of course Brady, slide to Rds 3 or later?"  They've all made ProBowls.   Two have rings.  So many other QB get picked based on hype machines and physical gifts.  Shoot, of all the QBs who've won the SB, off the top of my head only Bradshaw, Plunkett, Aikman, Elway, Peyton, Eli and Stafford are 1st overall picks.  Mathematically, they've won 14 of 57 SB. 

Guys picked in Rounds 3 or later have won 7+4+2+ ?? =18 times. (Had to cheat on this one😅)

So the draft produces a lot of intrigue at the QB position.   26 QBs have been selected 1st overall, a 26% rate for winning the SB.  Sure, the percent number plummets when one considers all the 3rd round and later QBs who've never won the SB.  But, the percent success of winning the SB with picks 2 - 64 is about the same as having a guy in rounds 3 or later.  

Interestingly, 23 QBs have won the SB with the team that originally drafted them.  Yes, that's the glaring stat about 45 of the 57 Lombardi trophies awarded go to those teams.  Those teams built their rosters to help the QB . . . Neil Smith to Elway, Reggie White to Favre, the Legion of boom with Beast Mode, etc.  Oh, yes Ray Lewis and Shannon Sharp . . . And Dilfer finally got what everyone expected of him for years.

I don't think the Vikings will join that club unless the have a total team playing together for several years.  That team needs to be led by a home-grown QB who rightfully earns his leadership role and holds it for more than a decade.  

You can't get there if you buy into the pressure cooker.   All the draft picks sacrificed to move up gut the true team concept of having young men develop that critical bond for success at that level. 

1 hour ago, Captain Relax said:

So, who would you draft at #3?

Levis or Richardson. If I’m taking the gamble and trading up, I’m going to draft one of the QBs with elite traits. Especially with a situation like the Vikings are in, where I can let the rookie QB sit and learn behind Cousins and Mullens. 

I wouldn’t hate it if they drafted Stroud, he’s not a bad prospect by any means, but there’s just not anything special about him. If I’m being honest, when I watch and read about Stroud, he’s Cousins. A QB who’s got good enough arm strength that you don’t have to worry about him not being able to make any throw, he’s accurate at all levels of the field, and he’s very good at throwing with timing and rhythm. But, he’s also a QB who doesn’t have great pocket presence, he’s more athletic than he gets credit for but he doesn’t instinctively use that athleticism, he struggles under pressure, and he’s not a natural creator when things break down. So, while I don’t think getting a 22-23 yo QB that plays like Cousins is a bad thing, it’s not what I’d trade 3 first round draft picks for. 

Edited by SemperFeist