The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

5 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

The only reason the Bears traded down is because they have their QBOTF on the roster already. The odds of a team having one and still landing #1 is obscenely rare. That won't be happening again unless a top tier QB under contract for many years gets hurt early in the season. 

Not to be a contrarian but it’s happened the last 2 years in a row (Jacksonville had the #1 pick after drafting Lawrence and Chicago this year) so it does happen. 

• Like 2

I’m against trading up for AR15 but would 100% trade up to #3 if Young was available. I’m convinced that Young will be special and a Top 5 QB in the league. If AR15 is there at 7 then I’m good with taking him. If both are gone then I want to trade back and pick up some additional draft capital. 

• Like 6

New mock for fun

1/7: Anthony Richardson QB
I think we need to take him if he is there like in this simulation. Will Lewis went 1/4 and one can read stuff like that on twitter too...

2/38: Trenton Simpson LB
Could come in and be our WLB day 1 IMO. 

3/70: Andre Carter II ED
Bit of a project at ED, but with his size he could be a good bookend to Maxx. He could be a rotational pass rusher as a rookie behind Maxx and Jones and hopefully take over by 2024.

3/100: Karl Brooks DL
He played EDGE at college, but at 6'4 300 he would come in and play 3T for us with some 4T,5T versatility. He needs to develope, but could become a really good rotational guy in the middle for us.

4/109: Andrew Vorhees IOL
Could be a nice pick up here, who could be a starting OG for us, when he gets back from the injury.

5/141: Chandler Zavala IOL
Small school LG, who could be a great depth piece for us an maybe could even start until Vorhees rehabs his injury. With a little luck one of them could make a switch to RG after this season when Parham slides inside to OC.

5/144: YaYa Diaby ED
At 6'3 263 he could be a base 3-4OLB for us down the line. Possibly a back up guy, but we could use one there, since Koonce seems to struggle with this NFL thing...

5/174: Davis Allen TE
We don't have a pressing need at TE, but he was sitting there in this simulation with his 6'6 245 body and lone drop, so I figured he could give Howard and/or Horsted a run for that back up TE spot...

6/204: Kahlef Hailassie CB
I wanted to get a CB much sooner, but it never really was a good value until this pick, where I went with the size over other smaller options. Kahlef is 6'1 200, comes from a small school, could be a good get if he can make the jump.

6/214: Aidan O'Connell QB
Could be a really solid back up option behind Richardson and while I realize that we would need to carry 3 QBs at least in 2023, but I struggled to pick another position and he seemed like a good value.

7/220: Keaton Mitchell RB
I know, I know...we have a full RB room, but he seems like a guy, who could be a nice 3rd down/gadget guy after he gets up to speed with his pass blocking. He could be a PS candidate, who could get on roster next year when Bolden, Abdullah are off...

7/231: Jake Andrews OC
He could push Grasu for OC back up spot, but more likely could head to PS and come back in 2024 for OC back up behind Parham.

One thing that come to me during this mock is that we have lots of picks and the roster is not that empty right now. What I mean is that DZ filled up the depth pretty well and it is not that easy to mock WR, RB, TE, CB, S in the later part of the draft, since they will have a really hard time making the team IMO.

We obviously need some starters and could use depth in certain areas still, but this amount of draft pick seem a bit too much to me now. I think we will use a few to move up in the draft. Not neccessary from 1/7, but I can see us moveing up in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th rounds for better players, for targeted players. Next time I will try to put some trade ups into my mock too.

19 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

If I didn't like the players in this draft so much, I would be more inclined. But look at the mock I did. You can find foundational players at Edge/DL, CB/S, TE, and IOL easily. 

I liked your 'mock' (also raidr4life's too page 319) but I'd be willing to keep trading down from where you picked Witherspoon and adding other teams 1sts next year for ammo to move up or get lucky (top pick) Then added a CB in the 3rd. I see this draft as a team building draft. IF one of the QB's falls to 7 I'm good with any of the 4 IF there's no trade down opportunity. I also have ZERO confidence with this season. Like top 5 pick expectations so absolutely no way I'm giving up 2024 1st rounder and I doubt many teams are wanting to let theirs go either. 

Edited by G

Having people discussing taking a top 10 pick for a guy who sucks at accurately throwing the football is still a wild concept to me. Even more after we went through the Russell nonsense. I prefer more of a sure thing in the top 10 and not taking such massive risks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Having people discussing taking a top 10 pick for a guy who sucks at accurately throwing the football is still a wild concept to me. Even more after we went through the Russell nonsense. I prefer more of a sure thing in the top 10 and not taking such massive risks.

A lot of his accuracy woes are due to poor footwork, which can be corrected.

20 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Accuracy fix is not some once in a blue moon thing though. Qb's come into the league and get their accuracy issues fixed all the time. Also, I've only watched a few videos, and read a few articles (not many) but it seems to me that WR drops was a big issue at Florida last year. This doesn't scream to me "A QB who is wildly bad with the football and there's nothing you can do about it" situation. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

That’s exactly how I feel.  I’m willing to accept some of the excuses, for lack of a better word such as he was in a system/coaching that wasn’t helpful to success + poor WRs + poor coaching, and believe he is raw and COULD be coached up with mechanics, I do believe he’s not obtained the best coaching here, but nonetheless we’re talking about giving a draft pick haul in trading up for a QB that has massive issues as a thrower.  It’s a wild concept for me.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, G said:

IF one of the QB's falls to 7 I'm good with any of the 4 IF there's no trade down opportunity. I also have ZERO confidence with this season. Like top 5 pick expectations so absolutely no way I'm giving up 2024 1st rounder and I doubt many teams are wanting to let theirs go either. 

That’s exactly how I feel.  I don’t want to end up trading a top 5 pick and 7 for Richardson.

• Like 1