The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

5 minutes ago, SodakRaiders said:

According to McShay's new mock, the rumor is we aren't interested in a QB at 7 unless it is Stroud or Young.  He has us taking Witherspoon and Bresee.

That would be a nice draft, although I still think I like Gonzalez more.

51 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

A lot of his accuracy woes are due to poor footwork, which can be corrected.

"Can be" =\= "will be"

I'd feel better about it if he were accurate one year which he's never been. Anyone can talk themselves into whatever they want to become true but the fact is the odds don't support this happening

33 minutes ago, NickButera said:

Accuracy fix is not some once in a blue moon thing though. Qb's come into the league and get their accuracy issues fixed all the time. Also, I've only watched a few videos, and read a few articles (not many) but it seems to me that WR drops was a big issue at Florida last year. This doesn't scream to me "A QB who is wildly bad with the football and there's nothing you can do about it" situation. 

Were they dropped bc they were bad passes or were they dropped bc they were inaccurate but still somewhat on target? And the same issues the year before? Why? 

Again, would prefer a far more polished product than this guy who doesn't look good, at all

32 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

That’s exactly how I feel.  I’m willing to accept some of the excuses, for lack of a better word such as he was in a system/coaching that wasn’t helpful to success + poor WRs + poor coaching, and believe he is raw and COULD be coached up with mechanics, I do believe he’s not obtained the best coaching here, but nonetheless we’re talking about giving a draft pick haul in trading up for a QB that has massive issues as a thrower.  It’s a wild concept for me.

Yeah, anything could happen. I could win the lottery tomorrow. If we only needed a QB, sure, let's take a shot but our team has so many issues that we can address with a more well-rounded prospect instead which makes a lot more sense

21 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Yeah, anything could happen. I could win the lottery tomorrow. If we only needed a QB, sure, let's take a shot but our team has so many issues that we can address with a more well-rounded prospect instead which makes a lot more sense

It amazes me how much Carr-stans love the middle. 

There is no reward without risk. Imagine if Gruden would have had the stones to get rid of Carr and take a risky bet on Josh Allen how much further along this franchise would be. 

Yes... I acknowledge the player could bust. Who cares.... it's one draft pick. This is a QB driven league. You can spend years building a roster and still be hamstrung with a bad QB - Jets, Commanders, Panthers, Colts come to mind recently.

51qQzKVbXEL._UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg 

• Like 3

i wouldnt hate a QB at 7, just dont want to trade up. I want to build the roster, get another dose of McD then target a QBoTF. Were just so far off on defense, and this is the type of draft where we can add some real talent on that side of the ball. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

I’d love to get Sewell in the late 2nd or early 3rd.

Sewell getting slept in because he doesn’t have a good 40. He was hyped during the college football year. I think he will be a solid starting MLB and would be good value in the 3rd. 

26 minutes ago, 101Raider said:

I don’t get this one at all…

Surprising for me too. Unless they think there is a chance he falls to our 2nd and he's true BPA? I'd be shocked if we considered WR with our first 3 picks even but due diligence on a potential Charger WR makes sense too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

It amazes me how much Carr-stans love the middle. 

There is no reward without risk. Imagine if Gruden would have had the stones to get rid of Carr and take a risky bet on Josh Allen how much further along this franchise would be. 

Yes... I acknowledge the player could bust. Who cares.... it's one draft pick. This is a QB driven league. You can spend years building a roster and still be hamstrung with a bad QB - Jets, Commanders, Panthers, Colts come to mind recently.

51qQzKVbXEL._UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg 

I'm not a Carr-stans. No matter how badly you want that to be true, it simply isn't. You can wish it more than you do that Carter was your husband and it still won't become true.

Clown

1 hour ago, Geezy said:

i wouldnt hate a QB at 7, just dont want to trade up. I want to build the roster, get another dose of McD then target a QBoTF. Were just so far off on defense, and this is the type of draft where we can add some real talent on that side of the ball. 

I wouldn't hate a QB at 7 either but if we're going to take a guy who can't throw the football more accurately than 93.5% (according to ESPN) of other college QBs, I would prefer it happen when we don't have 13 other positions of need on the team. That's just my thought process here. Get a more well-rounded prospect than someone who sucked in college.... and that might be an improvement from an accurate description of his play.

Just now, RaidersAreOne said:

This Jalen Carter stuff is pretty damning. I can't believe the enormous plunge this guy may take draft day. Much like the Tunsil case but instead of dope in a gas mask it's drunken racing where people died.

What an idiot.

BP gonna get ya!! Better watch out lol