The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, raidr4life said:

Build powerhouse defense that will take you out of the Caleb, Maye sweepstakes get stuck with Davis Mills. You not thinking at all. Then become a laughing stock If Young balls out for another team.

They have their own and Cleveland's first pick next year and neither are likely to finish with worse than the 16th pick regardless. They'd hardly be out of the Williams/Maye sweepstakes, and that's assuming they don't acquire more ammo via trades before then. 

Inevitably, someone will wind up with a top 5 pick that doesn't need a QB. 

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

if Davis Mills sucks the team will suck. Rookies aint going come in and take the team to the playoffs year one. 

Texas 1- Anderson

Texans 2nd 1st- Myles Murphy 

Texans 2nd- Keele Ringo CB or Deonte Banks

Texans 3rd- Sewell/ Henley LB

Texans 3rd- Jamie Robinson S

that defense would be nice to what they already have on the roster. Then they come back and get a nice franchise QB next year. Unless Davis Mills balls out 

So you think whoever picking 1,2 just going to give up their chance at drafting Maye or Caleb lol ya'll funny. 

A more realistic draft that actually fills needs and balances the team.

1. Bryce Young, QB

1. Lukas Van Ness, Edge

2. Zay Flowers, WR

3. Tuli Tuipulotu, Edge

3. Daiyan Henely, LB

4. Joe Tippmann, C

Neither team's coaching and management have been a model of consistency and prudence but there are three key differences between Houston and the Raiders:  cap space, draft capital, and divisional strength.  Through free agency the Texans have already upgraded themselves to contender status in the feeble AFC-South.  Five picks in the first 73, one of which rates to be a franchise QB, should vault them into one-and-done playoff territory [barring the aforementioned ineptitude].

With the Jets and Miami likely to improve, the Raiders will have a tough enough time getting to the playoffs as a wild card in the difficult AFC.  They are at least two years of uncharacteristically brilliant decisions from competing with Kansas City in the AFC-West.  It makes sense for them to tackle the goals in separate, successive years.  Fill the gaping holes in 2023, then make a play for a QB next year [if Garoppolo falters].

Another reason to delay the AB decision is that, given the three alternatives available after Young-Stroud are gone, the odds of Ziegler making the right choice--and, yes, I believe there is a right choice here--are closer to 3% than 33%.

Edited by Dr A W Niloc
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

They have their own and Cleveland's first pick next year and neither are likely to finish with worse than the 16th pick regardless. They'd hardly be out of the Williams/Maye sweepstakes, and that's assuming they don't acquire more ammo via trades before then. 

Inevitably, someone will wind up with a top 5 pick that doesn't need a QB. 

You're going to need top 2 and the chances are it ain't happening.

• Like 1

Just now, raidr4life said:

You're going to need top 2 and the chances are it ain't happening.

We also say that every year and then it changes come draft day. 

I'm old enough to remember when Josh Rosen had #1 pick hype. 

I've said before though, Houston is almost 100% taking a QB. But it wouldn't be the first time they pulled a fast one. 

14 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

We also say that every year and then it changes come draft day. 

I'm old enough to remember when Josh Rosen had #1 pick hype. 

I've said before though, Houston is almost 100% taking a QB. But it wouldn't be the first time they pulled a fast one. 

That's not the point though it's just no guarantee they can trade up for whoever the top QB's are no matter how much ammo they have.. They could end up like WAS who passed on Tua and Herbert still need a QB 2 years later.

Edited by raidr4life
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, raidr4life said:

That's not the point though it's just no guarantee they can trade up for whoever the top QB's are no matter how much ammo they have.. They could end up like WAS who passed on Tua and Herbert still need a QB 2 years later.

Agreed. The absolute worst teams are gonna keep 1-2 next season unless a team gives up a treasure chest of assets. Panthers had to give up one of the best young WRs in the NFL as well as multiple 1sts in this draft. With Williams at the top of next year could take even more if any package would work 

People will be saying just wait until 2025 for “insert next hot prospect who hadn’t been over analyzed”. We’ll be stuck looking at Bo Nix, Michael Penix, Pratt or Rattler. When that happens we gonna wish we would of just took a QB this season 

15 hours ago, BayRaider said:

@big_palooka Starting to agree Maye is 1a and Caleb 1b next year. I’ve watched a lot of Caleb and I feel people are over exaggerating his play extension/off platform throws a bit. He’s pretty good at it, but it’s not generational level. Bryce Young is better at extending plays. Jordan Love is better at off-platform throws (one of the things that really drew me to Love). 

Both guys are easily better than any QB in this draft class. But Maye reminds me of a unique blend of Burrow, Herbert, and Rodgers. Rodgers 40%, Burrow 35%, Herbert 25%. He’s the best pure thrower since Burrow, and his throwing style and motion and quick release are all very Rodgers-esque. His anticipation is Burrow-like. 

Maye is also a guy everyone can get behind. Traditional QB fans and also the new era of QB fans as well. 

I still think we should get a QB this year, tanking never works and expecting to trade up never works. But Maye/Caleb are definitely going to transform two teams next year. Just like Burrow/Lawrence did recently. 

I think it’s 1A  Williams and 2A Maye. Maye is great prospect but  Williams is in a different category. Maye also have had one year starting so I’m Interested how’s he’s gonna respond knowing the rest of the country is eyeing him

12 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

if Davis Mills sucks the team will suck. Rookies aint going come in and take the team to the playoffs year one. 

Texas 1- Anderson

Texans 2nd 1st- Myles Murphy 

Texans 2nd- Keele Ringo CB or Deonte Banks

Texans 3rd- Sewell/ Henley LB

Texans 3rd- Jamie Robinson S

that defense would be nice to what they already have on the roster. Then they come back and get a nice franchise QB next year. Unless Davis Mills balls out 

Here is another... 

Young QB

VanNess Edge

Downs WR

Hall Edge

Papoe LB

Stromberg C

21 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

Here is another... 

Young QB

VanNess Edge

Downs WR

Hall Edge

Papoe LB

Stromberg C

No thank you. Nico Collins is emerging to be WR1. Jon Metchie will be back and healthy. He has all the potential in the world. Roberts Woods is in the mix for good measure. They just paid Dalton Shultz too. They didn’t pay for his blocking ability. 

Edited by Humble_Beast

22 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

No thank you. Nico Collins is emerging to be WR1. Jon Metchie will be back and healthy. He has all the potential in the world. Roberts Woods is in the mix for good measure. They just paid Dalton Shultz too. They didn’t pay for his blocking ability. 

Robert Woods is on the back 9 lol.

I find it funny that some people are saying “There’s absolutely no way the top 2 teams next year trade out and give up Williams/Maye” when this year Chicago traded out of 1 and Houston is rumored to pass on a QB.  

And this year there will be 4 teams drafting a QBofF… those teams are likely to be drafting high again.  Those teams would likely be a like Chicago and want to trade out of a top pick and gain a large haul of picks.

Who wouldn’t (be likely) to trading out of the top 2 picks (assuming it goes Carolina-Stroud, Houston-Young, Indy-Richardson , and ?Atlanta?-Levis):

1 + 9 (Car) Chicago- committed to Fields, trade pick again.

2 + 12(Cle) Houston- just drafted Young.

3. Arizona- financial committed to Murray.

4. Indy- just drafted Richardson.

5.  Denver- if picking too 2 they draft a QB cuz Wilson is done.

6. Rams- definitely would draft a QB, Stafford says he’s returning but for how long? Not long.

7.  Raiders- we’d definitely draft a QB.

8. Atlanta- if they draft Levis then they wouldn’t draft another QB.

10. NO- just signed Carr, but if picking 1-2 they’d draft a QB.  I don’t see them picking anywhere near top 5.

11.  Tennessee- they’d draft a QB.  * I could see Tennessee drafting Levis if Atlanta doesn’t *

13. Jets- would absolutely draft a QB.

14. Pats- would draft a QB, they don’t seem sold longterm on Mac Jones and Zappe is certainly upgradable.

15. GB- all depends on how Love does this year.  Possibly.

16. Washington- would definitely draft a QB.

17. Pitt- have Pickett but if picking top 2 they would likely move on.

18. Detroit- have Goff but if picking top 2 they would likely move on.

19. TB- would draft a QB, Trask and a FA Mayfield wouldn’t stop them.

20. Seattle- could draft a QBotF and sit them part or full year while Geno Smith plays.

21. Miami- if picking top 2 Tua’s probably  From concussions and they need a new QB.

23. Baltimore- all Depends if they resign Lamar Jackson or not.  But if they don’t keep Jackson, that means another team would have him and trade the pick if there picking top 2.

25. NYG- have Daniel Jones on a new deal, but possibly.

22, 24, 26-30.  Have their franchise QB, would trade pick…  SD- Herbert, Jax- Lawrence, Dal- Prescott, Buffalo- Allen, Cincy- Burrow, Philly- Hurts, KC- Mahomes

The chances of being able to land a trade into the top 2 picks is way better than some have indicated.  There’s no reason or urgency for this team to trade and bet the farm on Richardson, IMO.  

1) Jimmy G could get hurt week 3 and we’d be left with 37yo Brian Hoyer… 

2) one of the teams with a QB could land one of the two picks and are willing to trade down.

3) Maye or Williams have a slight down year And another prospect (Harrison/Egbuka WR, Dallas Turner Edge, etc) has a great season… due to the draft order the #2 pick team elects to draft the non-QB and not trade down.  Maybe one of this years drafts QBs gets paired with an elite WR.

So there’s plenty of chances we can land a top 2 QB next year.  No need to rush into a QB this year if we don’t feel he’s the one for us.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

I find it funny that some people are saying “There’s absolutely no way the top 2 teams next year trade out and give up Williams/Maye” when this year Chicago traded out of 1 and Houston is rumored to pass on a QB.  

And this year there will be 4 teams drafting a QBofF… those teams are likely to be drafting high again.  Those teams would likely be a like Chicago and want to trade out of a top pick and gain a large haul of picks.

Who wouldn’t (be likely) to trading out of the top 2 picks (assuming it goes Carolina-Stroud, Houston-Young, Indy-Richardson , and ?Atlanta?-Levis):

1 + 9 (Car) Chicago- committed to Fields, trade pick again.

2 + 12(Cle) Houston- just drafted Young.

3. Arizona- financial committed to Murray.

4. Indy- just drafted Richardson.

5.  Denver- if picking too 2 they draft a QB cuz Wilson is done.

6. Rams- definitely would draft a QB, Stafford says he’s returning but for how long? Not long.

7.  Raiders- we’d definitely draft a QB.

8. Atlanta- if they draft Levis then they wouldn’t draft another QB.

10. NO- just signed Carr, but if picking 1-2 they’d draft a QB.  I don’t see them picking anywhere near top 5.

11.  Tennessee- they’d draft a QB.  * I could see Tennessee drafting Levis if Atlanta doesn’t *

13. Jets- would absolutely draft a QB.

14. Pats- would draft a QB, they don’t seem sold longterm on Mac Jones and Zappe is certainly upgradable.

15. GB- all depends on how Love does this year.  Possibly.

16. Washington- would definitely draft a QB.

17. Pitt- have Pickett but if picking top 2 they would likely move on.

18. Detroit- have Goff but if picking top 2 they would likely move on.

19. TB- would draft a QB, Trask and a FA Mayfield wouldn’t stop them.

20. Seattle- could draft a QBotF and sit them part or full year while Geno Smith plays.

21. Miami- if picking top 2 Tua’s probably  From concussions and they need a new QB.

23. Baltimore- all Depends if they resign Lamar Jackson or not.  But if they don’t keep Jackson, that means another team would have him and trade the pick if there picking top 2.

25. NYG- have Daniel Jones on a new deal, but possibly.

22, 24, 26-30.  Have their franchise QB, would trade pick…  SD- Herbert, Jax- Lawrence, Dal- Prescott, Buffalo- Allen, Cincy- Burrow, Philly- Hurts, KC- Mahomes

The chances of being able to land a trade into the top 2 picks is way better than some have indicated.  There’s no reason or urgency for this team to trade and bet the farm on Richardson, IMO.  

1) Jimmy G could get hurt week 3 and we’d be left with 37yo Brian Hoyer… 

2) one of the teams with a QB could land one of the two picks and are willing to trade down.

3) Maye or Williams have a slight down year And another prospect (Harrison/Egbuka WR, Dallas Turner Edge, etc) has a great season… due to the draft order the #2 pick team elects to draft the non-QB and not trade down.  Maybe one of this years drafts QBs gets paired with an elite WR.

So there’s plenty of chances we can land a top 2 QB next year.  No need to rush into a QB this year if we don’t feel he’s the one for us.

good breakdown

On 4/6/2023 at 3:37 AM, big_palooka said:

Small trade back for Witherspoon is what I'd like to see. Outside Anderson (assuming Carter is off their board) who is a true blue chip player, the next wave of defenders feels similar. Move back and get more bites of the apple in that case. 

I'd also draft Nolan smith if we trade down past 10, if he's there.

• Like 1