The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

3 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

One thing I keep hearing here and other places is: “We’ll draft defensive players heavily to fill out the holes there”

My concern is: Will these young players be able to contribute and be productive in their rookie years?

Tyree Wilson is a DE prospect we are often linked to at 7.  It’s pretty widely considered true that he’s a raw prospect who will need 2 maybe 3 years to hit his prime.  Christian Gonzales is the other most mocked player to us at 7 and while he’s a great athlete he needs rather major improvements in zone coverage and making plays at the catch point.

My concern is that we’re expecting 3-4 starters from the draft and that might be an unrealistic expectation.

I think it's realistic, tbh. 

Say we went all D with our first 3 picks and walked away with:

Gonzales at CB

Mazi Smith at DT

Noah Sewell at LB

All 3 could (should) easily obtain a starting role. Rookie Pro Bowlers? Probably not all 3. But they would all represent marked improvement from day 1. To what extent is unknown, though all seem to be good enough prospects that they could experience some rookie lumps without being derailed in terms of progress. Basically, I think they'd be good enough to tread water, if not swim- even if ugly in form, as opposed to drowning. Better play obviously comes with experience, but I don't think early experience on a D with fairly low expectations would hurt any of them.

Like I said, I don't expect DROY candidates across the board from them, but I don't think expecting a couple of starters out of the class would be unreasonable given our current roster, expectations, and draft slots. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Gonzales at CB

Mazi Smith at DT

Noah Sewell at LB

All 3 could (should) easily obtain a starting role. Rookie Pro Bowlers? Probably not all 3. But they would all represent marked improvement from day 1. To what extent is unknown, though all seem to be good enough prospects that they could experience some rookie lumps without being derailed in terms of progress. Basically, I think they'd be good enough to tread water, if not swim- even if ugly in form, as opposed to drowning. Better play obviously comes with experience, but I don't think early experience on a D with fairly low expectations would hurt any of them.

Like I said, I don't expect DROY candidates across the board from them, but I don't think expecting a couple of starters out of the class would be unreasonable given our current roster, expectations, and draft slots. 

I’m pretty on taking Sewell in round 3, I think that’s a very realistic possibility and a great value.  I’ve advocated for it several times on here.

I like Smith in the 2nd but would LOVE if we got Breese, even if it meant a small trade up.

I’m still torn on Gonzales vs Witherspoon… I just like them both more then Tyree Wilson because I think he needs a good amount of development.

1 hour ago, jimkelly02 said:

I’m pretty on taking Sewell in round 3, I think that’s a very realistic possibility and a great value.  I’ve advocated for it several times on here.

I like Smith in the 2nd but would LOVE if we got Breese, even if it meant a small trade up.

I’m still torn on Gonzales vs Witherspoon… I just like them both more then Tyree Wilson because I think he needs a good amount of development.

Ideal for me would honestly be:

Trade down a couple spots and land Gonzo, Witherspoon, or Porter Jr. 

Package something and move up for Breese if he starts sliding. 

Grab a LB or 2 (Sewell, Overshown, To'oTo'o, Diabate, Dorian Williams) later. 

I'd still look at OG, another CB, Edge, and then go BPA at TE, OT, etc to round things out depending on what picks we have left. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

Gonzales at CB

Mazi Smith at DT

Noah Sewell at LB

A edge player could also rotate with an aging Jones and take his job by next year

21 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

A edge player could also rotate with an aging Jones and take his job by next year

I keep looking hard at DJ Johnson and Mike Morris around 109 and beyond. 

Idk why precisely, but I really really like what both bring to the table opposite Crosby, especially in the middle rounds. 

5 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

One thing I keep hearing here and other places is: “We’ll draft defensive players heavily to fill out the holes there”

My concern is: Will these young players be able to contribute and be productive in their rookie years?

Tyree Wilson is a DE prospect we are often linked to at 7.  It’s pretty widely considered true that he’s a raw prospect who will need 2 maybe 3 years to hit his prime.  Christian Gonzales is the other most mocked player to us at 7 and while he’s a great athlete he needs rather major improvements in zone coverage and making plays at the catch point.

My concern is that we’re expecting 3-4 starters from the draft and that might be an unrealistic expectation.

I have been saying this for a while, we shouldn’t be having to rely on 3-4 rookies starting off the bat and it’s a bad sign for the DC that we think we might need to. 

9 minutes ago, Dessie said:

I have been saying this for a while, we shouldn’t be having to rely on 3-4 rookies starting off the bat and it’s a bad sign for the DC that we think we might need to. 

What’s going to be worse though is when we draft a Qb (1), stud TE (2), IOL (3) and a “good value wr” (4).   Then a bunch of random camp fodder on defense 

Then justify it by saying we went BPA, can’t fix all the holes and want to solidify one side of the ball in order to focus on D next season… Did I hit all the draft day cliches?

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, 101Raider said:

What’s going to be worse though is when we draft a Qb (1), stud TE (2), IOL (3) and a “good value wr” (4).   Then a bunch of random camp fodder on defense 

Then justify it by saying we went BPA, can’t fix all the holes and want to solidify one side of the ball in order to focus on D next season… Did I hit all the draft day cliches?

Think you got them all in.. 😆

2 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Only a low IQ person cant see the difference between me and Hondo.

Hondo is a professional writer and with a professional duty with sources and reporting and is working in a professional compacity when interviewing.  He got those quotes on the record, hence their quotes not paraphrases from off the record sources.  I had a private conversation with someone where there was an expectation of privacy.  Hence, I’d never divulge any material information.  I don’t care to impress you, frankly I don’t like you much at all.  So yeah that’s not going to happen, and it shouldn’t.  

but I don’t think it’s be hard to figure out who I’m talking about if you did some research.

So you made it up.... got it. Thanks for clarifying.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Noah Sewell might do well transitioning to edge. 

I don't disagree, but man he'd be a smallish edge guy. 

Sub 6'2 and sub 250 would be a hard one to buy into if that's the goal (as opposed to moving spots if LB just didn't work out). 

Ideally, I'd run him as a blitz heavy LB, we don't run base enough to make that worthwhile. 

I had similar thoughts about Drew Sanders- move him to edge and let him cause havoc. But I just can't see him holding up against bigger OL guys.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dessie said:

That's called rebuilding the defense and we don't have to rely on them but if they can show they can take the job then that means we drafted well. The 2 spots I think can make instant impact is #1 CB but we have a bunch of guys to compete, and NT I think Mazi Smith or Ika could come in and beat out Ferrell and Jenkins. A LB who can fill in for Sillane or Deablo if either of them can't get the job done.

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

For those that don't have the Athletic, here is Dane Buglers beast guide:

https://cdn.theathletic.com/app/uploads/2023/04/08224218/TheBeast_NFL_Draft_Guide.pdf

Password: Bea$stguide2023!

Covers 1893 player rankings and 401 scouting reports, which props to him on the grind. 

Dude, this is legit. Thanks for sharing 

• Like 1