Solution to NFL’s Desire for More Games

KingOfNewYork

After week 18

Divisional Weekend

All 32 teams play based on their divisional rankings. 1 plays 4, 2 plays 3. 

Divisional Championship

Remaining 16 teams play for their division crowns. 

Conference Semi-Finals

Remaining divisional champions square off seeded by record. 

Conference Championship 

Final 4 among the top 2 teams from each division. 

Super Bowl

Two best teams square off for all the marbles.

My reasoning? 

Essentially a week and a half more games to generate revenue but these games are more meaningful than another regular season week as these games are win or go home. We also ramp back up the importance of winning your division and building your team to compete in your division because you’ll have to beat 2 of your rivals to enter the top 8. I wanna hate the Pats, Bills and Dolphins even more than I already do. Other regular season games are still important as the final 8 are seeded by record/tie breakers. 

What do you guys think?

• Like 1

My criticism with that is that you’d get some quirky matchups in the later rounds. On any given Sunday and all that, if you’re giving all 32 teams a one-off chance to get into the Divisional Championship, you could end up with lop-sided games (Bears vs Rams for example). I think that would annoy some people. 

it would throw up surprises though, that’s more like a soccer World Cup where you often get a surprise team or two in the final rounds 

Just now, iknowcool said:

Unless I'm reading your opening post incorrectly.... how is it not every team making the playoffs?

The additional games would be a divisional tournament to end the year among the 4 teams. The winner goes to the actual "playoffs". I guess the way I structured it is confusing. 

Regular Season (17 game season)

Divisional Tournament (8 tournaments to crown division champions)

Playoffs (8 division winners, seeded by regular season record/tie breakers)

It's a play on the NBA's Play-In tournament for the final 2 seeds in the playoffs, intensity in those games has been amazing. Creating that among divisional foes year in and year out in early January for a chance to actually win the division and fight for a title would be fun to watch IMO.

If guys are worried about teams taking the regular season off you dont have to because beating non-divisional foes still matters because of the seeding in the final 8 and tie-breakers. Homefield is still desired. 

The NFL already has Week 18 as division matchups. There be a lot of scenarios where teams will play the same team, 3xs in a month.  All this is letting is the bad regular season teams compete for the playoffs. It could possibly make sense for seeding/draft order, but that’s the point of the regular season. 

19 minutes ago, Acgott said:

The NFL already has Week 18 as division matchups. There be a lot of scenarios where teams will play the same team, 3xs in a month.  All this is letting is the bad regular season teams compete for the playoffs. It could possibly make sense for seeding/draft order, but that’s the point of the regular season. 

Matchups that matter, they can re-structure the schedule that's not an issue. For me, the issue is another week of games that to most teams will be irrelevant. 

In this scenario, everything still matters and the importance of being the best team in your division matters even more now. I think with the additional game and expanded playoffs we've lost a bit of the division importance. Rivalries have suffered. 

so within each division, there is a full 17 game season to set the 1-4 seeding within the division for the "divisional championship".

that is the NCAA basketball set up of a regular season then having a conference tourney to determine the automatic bid to the NCAA tourney

certainly devalues the regular season some

The solution is so easy. TV money is huge - so just give each team a second bye week.

Going from 18 weeks to 19 - additional week of primetime games. Increases player safety by adding a second bye week. Less teams playing each week (with two byes you can start in week 3 without it being a huge issue for a team because they'll have another bye later in the season).

Have byes from week 3 to week 17, roughly 4 teams on a bye each week. Or start later and end earlier and have more teams on byes each week. More eyes on big games on Sundays with less options because more teams are on byes.

• Like 1