Nacho Simulation Football League (Season 24 - Taco Bowl XXIV POSTED!)

1 minute ago, swoosh said:

Definitely not kicking on 1st and 10 from the 30, down 11. 

Definitely kicking on 4th and 8th from the 28, down 11. 

I know it's unconventional, but I've felt that way for some time now. We can't see timeouts in the sim, so that plays a factor, but if a team is down by 11 with 2:33 left and has three timeouts in comfortable FG range, even on 1st down, I want the FG right away. The only things that matter on that drive are 1) points (at least three), and 2) time. Spending more time when you can get points and save time doesn't make sense to me.

Just now, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I know it's unconventional, but I've felt that way for some time now. We can't see timeouts in the sim, so that plays a factor, but if a team is down by 11 with 2:33 left and has three timeouts in comfortable FG range, even on 1st down, I want the FG right away. The only things that matter on that drive are 1) points (at least three), and 2) time. Spending more time when you can get points and save time doesn't make sense to me.

It's hard without knowing timeouts like you said, but ultimately you're likely needing to recover an outside kick either way. With that being the case, I'm less concerned with saving a few more seconds because you're not trying to get a stop and the ball back. You also know you need a TD plus a 2-point conversion, so I'm not wasting a good opportunity on 1st down from the 30 to do so. Certainly need to try and push the ball down field, but might as well take a couple of shots. You're not burning much time in doing that. Plus, if you score a TD but don't get the 2-point conversion, you know you need to try and score another TD.

9 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Didn't you just sign Riverboat Ron?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, swoosh said:

It's hard without knowing timeouts like you said, but ultimately you're likely needing to recover an outside kick either way. With that being the case, I'm less concerned with saving a few more seconds because you're not trying to get a stop and the ball back. You also know you need a TD plus a 2-point conversion, so I'm not wasting a good opportunity on 1st down from the 30 to do so. Certainly need to try and push the ball down field, but might as well take a couple of shots. You're not burning much time in doing that. Plus, if you score a TD but don't get the 2-point conversion, you know you need to try and score another TD.

All very true. I guess, if it's before the two minute warning and I have three timeouts left, I'm taking the FG right away, kicking it deep and using those four clock stoppages to try and force punt, making time extremely valuable.

If we can't stop the clock three times, I'm taking the FG and going for the onside kick.

In either scenario, I'm bringing the score within 1 possession and not going for it on 4th down.

40 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

@TheKillerNacho I'm not an analytics guy or anything, but I wanted to ask about this:

Possession now belongs to the Pittston Waste Walruses. Current score is Pittston Waste Walruses 16, Scranton Papermakers 27.

Q4, 4:23, 1st & 10 on the PIT 19: Kyler Murray passes the ball to the outside and completes to Larry Fitzgerald for 12 yards. Tackle made by Byron Jones.
Q4, 4:02, 1st & 10 on the PIT 31: Aaron Jones rushes up the middle for a gain of 1 yard. Tackle made by Christian Wilkins.
Q4, 3:44, 2nd & 9 on the PIT 32: Kyler Murray throws incomplete deep. Vonn Bell on the coverage.
Q4, 3:38, 3rd & 9 on the PIT 32: Kyler Murray scrambles for 1 yard. Tackle made by Christian Wilkins.
Q4, 3:24, 4th & 8 on the PIT 33: Kyler Murray checks the ball down and completes to A.J. Green for 12 yards. Tackle made by Jaire Alexander.
Q4, 3:05, 1st & 10 on the PIT 45: Kenyan Drake rushes up the middle for a gain of 4 yards. Tackle made by Christian Wilkins.
Q4, 2:48, 2nd & 6 on the PIT 49: Kyler Murray scrambles for no gain. Tackle made by Cameron Jordan.
Q4, 2:36, 3rd & 6 on the PIT 49: Kyler Murray throws the ball deep and completes to A.J. Green for 21 yards. Tackle made by Trevon Moehrig.
Q4, 2:23, 1st & 10 on the SCR 30: Kyler Murray throws incomplete deep. Byron Jones on the coverage.
Q4, 2:13, 2nd & 10 on the SCR 30: Kyler Murray throws incomplete short. Jaire Alexander on the coverage.
Q4, 2:03, 3rd & 10 on the SCR 30: Kyler Murray scrambles for 2 yards. Tackle made by Vonn Bell.
Q4, 1:58, 4th & 8 on the SCR 28: Kyler Murray throws incomplete deep. A.J. Green drops the ball.

Part in bold: I, personally, would rather my team kick the field goal right there, on 1st down, bringing the game within one possession and maintaining as much time on the clock as possible. I know that's an unconventional decision, so I don't fault the sim for not doing it.

Part underlined: I absolutely, 100%, want my team kicking the FG right there. You've got Tucker at K, are in comfortable FG range and need to come away with at least a FG on that drive. Sure, recovering the onside kick is extremely unlikely, but so is getting two possessions with 1:58 left in the game.

Am I wrong on this?

Just be happy Kenyan Drake didn't run it up the middle for a 3 yard gain

Just now, Tk3 said:

Just be happy Kenyan Drake didn't run it up the middle for a 3 yard gain

Yep, wouldn't have been happy. And, hey, A.J. Green had his first drop of the season on that 4th down. With a roll that bad, nothing would've been successful. (With that roll in mind, Tucker might've missed the FG anyway.)

2 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

2 hours ago, swoosh said:

Relevant:

There is no timeouts in the Sim. Never got around to putting them in, lol. The only clock stoppage a team has is incomplete passes, out of bounds (saves a few seconds), and the Two Minute Warning.

That said, my "Should I go for a Field Goal" logic is extremely lacking, indeed.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Relevant:

There is no timeouts in the Sim. Never got around to putting them in, lol. The only clock stoppage a team has is incomplete passes, out of bounds (saves a few seconds), and the Two Minute Warning.

Very good to know. Thanks.

25 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Relevant:

That said, my "Should I go for a Field Goal" logic is extremely lacking, indeed.

I could only imagine the difficulty in trying to put in timeout logic. 

• Like 1