New Stadium Thread

e16bball

I swear we had something on this already, but I can’t locate it. 

ESPN is reporting that the Washington football organization has bought $100M of land (about 200 acres) in Prince William County, near the Dumfries exit off I-95. There is some likelihood that they will buy another 65-70 acres. They evidently view this as the likely site of their future domed stadium, though that is not yet set in stone. The article continues to describe some of their other plans for the area, including an amphitheater, an indoor music venue, and typical shopping/restaurant/bar businesses. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33971374/source-washington-commanders-spend-100-million-land-virginia-possible-stadium

30 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

No.  Do not give a single dollar of taxpayer money to Dan Snyder. 

Well good news…I’m sure it won’t be just a “single dollar.” 

On the bright side, I’m sure the Commonwealth was able to negotiate a favorable financial arrangement as part of their agreement to torpedo the investigation into the ticket improprieties. 

Appears they bought in Woodbridge. I lived the first 29-years of my life there and honestly it’s not anywhere near as bad as it’s made out to be. Especially the Lake Ridge area and Smoketown. The traffic is going to be a complete nightmare however but at least I’ll be able to stop at my parents on my way home from games lol

• Like 1

I work in Triangle, Va. It’s 10 min from Dumfries, the next exit down 95. 😩 I tell you guys the commute sucks. It’s 35 miles from DC & can be anywhere from an hour to two hours to get to Dumfries. Not gonna be fun for fans who live in Nova, DC or MD. Virginia needs to do some major expansion of public transportation and a few more lanes on 95.

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I work in Triangle, Va. It’s 10 min from Dumfries, the next exit down 95. 😩 I tell you guys the commute sucks. It’s 35 miles from DC & can be anywhere from an hour to two hours to get to Dumfries. Not gonna be fun for fans who live in Nova, DC or MD. Virginia needs to do some major expansion of public transportation and a few more lanes on 95.

Woodbridge is NoVa dude. Du fries is as well. Some people are acting like these places are located near Richmond. It’s really not that far from DC to the point where every story about Woodbridge it’s usually called a suburb of DC. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Woodbridge is NoVa dude. Du fries is as well. Some people are acting like these places are located near Richmond. It’s really not that far from DC to the point where every story about Woodbridge it’s usually called a suburb of DC. 

Plus this is only 8 days a year (regular season). People are acting like this is gonna be some daily commute. I used to go to Triangle almost daily (I dated a girl who lived there). So I know the Dumfries/Triangle area like the back of my hand. 

Woodbridge is even closer. And honestly for the DC people it's about the same amount of time to Woodbridge that I take from Loudoun to FedEx (actually it's less time by about 8 minutes). I've done the commute for decades. They will be just fine. 

As for alienating the DC/MD fanbase, this actually acknowledges that the VA part of the fanbase is the largest portion. And seeks to tap into more fans in VA.

As for the roads, they are expanding the lanes as well as the HOT lanes. The only downside for some people is that there is no Metro going out that far. Which is fine by me. Jerruh did the same thing at JerruhWorld and it's packed.

Winning solves everything. The team wins, it will be packed no matter where it is. Even though I think Woodbridge is not the best VA option, I infinitely prefer it over the "take it back to DC" option that will go nowhere.

6 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Gonna be wild to see how this alienates the DC and Maryland metro areas even more to Baltimore. They can get to M&T in about as much time as Woodbridge from some spots, no? 

The ones that were going to bail have done so already. 

6 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Appears they bought in Woodbridge. I lived the first 29-years of my life there and honestly it’s not anywhere near as bad as it’s made out to be. Especially the Lake Ridge area and Smoketown. The traffic is going to be a complete nightmare however but at least I’ll be able to stop at my parents on my way home from games lol

I don't think the traffic will be too bad for only a few days of the year. Quite a lot of people traveling from West of the beltway won't be using 95 to get to Woodbridge anyway. There are tons of ways to get to Woodbridge from Leesburg (as you well know) without ever hitting the interstate.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, e16bball said:

Well good news…I’m sure it won’t be just a “single dollar.” 

On the bright side, I’m sure the Commonwealth was able to negotiate a favorable financial arrangement as part of their agreement to torpedo the investigation into the ticket improprieties. 

Did they do that? I mean you've speculated, but has VA dropped the investigation? I'm curious as I haven't heard anything.

7 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

No.  Do not give a single dollar of taxpayer money to Dan Snyder. 

Trust me. I don't want any $ given to him. If he wants the stadium, he can pay for it himself. At MOST I will be okay with road improvements, additions, etc... but even then I'd want financial commitment from him to help defray that cost.

4 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Did they do that? I mean you've speculated, but has VA dropped the investigation? I'm curious as I haven't heard anything.

No, not that I’ve heard of. Just being a cynical jerk about it 😂

It does feel like a bit of a conflict of interest, what with the amount of money changing hands during the pendency of the “investigation.”

• Like 1