Houston Texans added as defendants in Deshaun Watson sexual misconduct civil trials

ET80

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

I don’t think they had grounds to suspend him indefinitely - the legal situation was still playing out, and the Texans taking a preemptive step to suspend him would have been met with a swift response from the NFLPA.

Just let it be over and make a disciplinary decision already. Im so sick of hearing about this and its only been a few weeks. Suspend him, fine him, do whatever you have to do--just end this.

What are they waiting on again?

Edited by AkronsWitness

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

Im so sick of hearing about this and its only been a few weeks. 

LOL, try a full off season and regular season. This whole thing aged me by like, 30 years (and I’m old already).

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ET80 said:

LOL, try a full off season and regular season. This whole thing aged me by like, 30 years (and I’m old already).

oh yeah, which is why i cant believe its notr over. how long does this process take--its been over a year. The longer this case stays in limbo, anybody who bagged Watsons groceries once is going to come out looking to get their slice which is what I feel the last 2-4 cases have done.

Like Im not sure what else they are looking to find that could possible take months and/or years.

Edited by AkronsWitness

3 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

oh yeah, which is why i cant believe its notr over. how long does this process take--its been over a year.

My question is - why isn’t Watson stopping the bleeding by entertaining a settlement? We know there was some consideration to settlement during last season when Watson to Miami was a legitimate discussion point. We even know the amounts discussed was in the $100,000 range, and we even know that four women rejected the settlement offer.

As you said - at this point, there’s no separating Watson from this situation for as long as he’s in the NFL. Regardless of what he’ll do on the field, THIS is what he’s going to be known for outside of the Cleveland faithful. Nothing he does will change that, so why not pay out what he can, take the remainder to trial? 

Watson’s inaction is just as puzzling.

2 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Just let it be over and make a disciplinary decision already. Im so sick of hearing about this and its only been a few weeks. Suspend him, fine him, do whatever you have to do--just end this.

What are they waiting on again?

More people coming forward?

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, ET80 said:

My question is - why isn’t Watson stopping the bleeding by entertaining a settlement? We know there was some consideration to settlement during last season when Watson to Miami was a legitimate discussion point. We even know the amounts discussed was in the $100,000 range, and we even know that four women rejected the settlement offer.

As you said - at this point, there’s no separating Watson from this situation for as long as he’s in the NFL. Regardless of what he’ll do on the field, THIS is what he’s going to be known for outside of the Cleveland faithful. Nothing he does will change that, so why not pay out what he can, take the remainder to trial? 

Apparently settlement failed because two of the women didn’t want to settle. I think it was the two that was on Real Sports. Maybe there’s a high enough price that would get them to reconsider. But it doesn’t look like it at this moment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

oh yeah, which is why i cant believe its notr over. how long does this process take--its been over a year. The longer this case stays in limbo, anybody who bagged Watsons groceries once is going to come out looking to get their slice which is what I feel the last 2-4 cases have done.

Like Im not sure what else they are looking to find that could possible take months and/or years.

I don’t believe more women are coming forward because they want a slice. I think the more obvious answer is that they get more courage to step forward when they see other speak up and realize that they’re not alone.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

Apparently he and Hardin tried a settlement a long time ago (100k each) and 3 of the 22 or 24 or whatever declined. It was all or nothing. There are conflicting reports of no NDA or very restrictive NDA attached to that possible settlement.

4 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

This is a worst case scenario for the NFL. I think in the eyes of the public, he's guilty. What the punishment should be to most would vary - so even people who are opinionated and think he's guilty would wildly disagree on what any punishment should be.

But to make matters worse for the NFL, he wasn't indicted, which means someone felt there wouldn't be enough evidence to get a conviction.

On the other side of this is the NFLPA, who most likely are going to support Watson.

I'd imagine the NFL has definitely decided there will be a suspension for conduct detrimental - but how long?

The NFL hasn't handled violence/abuse against women very well in the past. And that was for non star QBs. The Browns gave up all this capital. How will fans react if they suspend him too long? Too short? Because he's a QB - and because of his contract - there is no way he's cut (ala Ray Rice).

But there's no hard evidence like the video with Ray Rice.

If he was found guilty, it's easy for the league. As it is, they have to decide on a punishment.

I personally think a full season is appropriate - or indefinite until all the civil cases are resolved. So a full season at minimum, likely longer.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ET80 said:

It kinda starts and stops for me with a multi millionaire finding that many different masseuses via Instagram. It is crazy to me that he doesn't seem to realize how bad that looks. At this point I think his best move is just admitting he has a problem and making amends as best he can.

9 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

there is no way he's cut (ala Ray Rice)

Yeah that would put the Browns 220 million over the cap. If he came out and said he did it and much worse and was going to continue doing it and may even do it to the Browns owner they still couldn't cut him. They would have to void his contract which isn't up to them. Also they just threw away a bunch of picks including 3 1sts so people would have to be fired.

11 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

I personally think a full season is appropriate - or indefinite until all the civil cases are resolved. So a full season at minimum, likely longer.

His contract was set up for a suspension this year (making no money, can't lose money that way). If he is suspended 2 years all of a sudden no money becomes 55 million. That's why he wants the suspension announced before he settles I'd guess.

3 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

This is a worst case scenario for the NFL. I think in the eyes of the public, he's guilty. What the punishment should be to most would vary - so even people who are opinionated and think he's guilty would wildly disagree on what any punishment should be.

But to make matters worse for the NFL, he wasn't indicted, which means someone felt there wouldn't be enough evidence to get a conviction.

On the other side of this is the NFLPA, who most likely are going to support Watson.

I'd imagine the NFL has definitely decided there will be a suspension for conduct detrimental - but how long?

The NFL hasn't handled violence/abuse against women very well in the past. And that was for non star QBs. The Browns gave up all this capital. How will fans react if they suspend him too long? Too short? Because he's a QB - and because of his contract - there is no way he's cut (ala Ray Rice).

But there's no hard evidence like the video with Ray Rice.

If he was found guilty, it's easy for the league. As it is, they have to decide on a punishment.

That's my whole point in a nutshell, what is left to find out? There is no evidence of anything outside of a few random DMs/Texts. It's just a giant tug of war between "I didn't" and "yes you did".

I just feel like the court is just dragging this on because they don't even know what to do. Start handing out some punishment, fines, suspensions and get these girls some of the money they came for. There isn't ever going to be a true answer as to what really happened so stop wasting time digging for it and move on IMO

Get the accusers their money and slap Watson with suspensions along with some classes/volunteer hours and be done.

Edited by AkronsWitness