Make the case for why your teams' season could go horribly wrong (Short of season ending QB injuries or season ending injury to other key players)

Bolts223

Davis Mills proves to be good enough to win 7-9 games a season - not bad enough to secure 1.1 but good enough to not give up on.

Falling into a 7-9 win season for the duration of Davis Mills’ career would be a disaster…

54 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Davis Mills proves to be good enough to win 7-9 games a season - not bad enough to secure 1.1 but good enough to not give up on.

Falling into a 7-9 win season for the duration of Davis Mills’ career would be a disaster…

If you somehow make a 5 game improvement with Mills he might be the guy you want to build around, lol.

15 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

If you somehow make a 5 game improvement with Mills he might be the guy you want to build around, lol.

I see what you’re saying - what I mostly meant was that Mills is “QB purgatory” sort of guy who won’t ever take you beyond the 1st round at absolute best, but isn’t bad enough to lose out. Then you’re stuck on whether or not to resign him to a long term deal or tag him.

Ultimately, I don’t think he’ll lead a five game swing. But, if he looks good enough to where the team looks to him as a 12-18th ranked QB, the Texans have to move on.

55 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Sounds like Carr

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I see what you’re saying - what I mostly meant was that Mills is “QB purgatory” sort of guy who won’t ever take you beyond the 1st round at absolute best, but isn’t bad enough to lose out. Then you’re stuck on whether or not to resign him to a long term deal or tag him.

Ultimately, I don’t think he’ll lead a five game swing. But, if he looks good enough to where the team looks to him as a 12-18th ranked QB, the Texans have to move on.

Meh, if Jimmy G can get to a Super Bowl I don't think you need some crazy elite player to win.

• Like 1

@ET80 Texans is the most boom or bust offense I’ve ever seen. Mills, Metchie, and Collins all have potential to be crazy good at their positions. I like Metchie a lot in the slot. Cooks is a stud already. Marlon Mack could have a bounce back year or do absolutely nothing. Pierce could be special, or a complete bust. 

Or they could be severely bad. 

4 hours ago, BayRaider said:

@ET80 Texans is the most boom or bust offense I’ve ever seen. Mills, Metchie, and Collins all have potential to be crazy good at their positions. I like Metchie a lot in the slot. Cooks is a stud already. Marlon Mack could have a bounce back year or do absolutely nothing. Pierce could be special, or a complete bust. 

Or they could be severely bad. 

I don't really view Metchie or Collins as huge boom or bust guys, Pierce either,  lol.

8 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Meh, if Jimmy G can get to a Super Bowl I don't think you need some crazy elite player to win.

Jimmy G, Nick Foles, Jared Goff, Joe Flacco, Colin Kaepernick... all have gone to the Super Bowl in the past decade. They're 2-3 in an Era where like half of the appearances are Brady

16 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Packers:

No injuries?  

Our main areas of concern are:  Edge depth, Safety depth, and offensive tackle.  We are two deep at both edge and safety, and usually three or four play significant snaps at either position, so there is definite possibilities for weakness to be on the field there.  We don't know if or when David Bakhtiari and Elgton Jenkins will return.  If they both are fine, we shouldn't have an issue on the OL.  With both out, Yosh Nijman will man one of the tackle positions, if he continues to progress he should be good enough, but that leaves a question mark at another spot.

WR is a tricky beast.  The "no injuries" thing shouldn't apply to either Randall Cobb or Sammy Watkins, in their 19 combined seasons they have played the full schedule 3 total times, the last being in 2015.  Allen Lazard should see increased targets and production.  I think he is going to be solid but not spectacular.  I like a lot of the young talent, but it relies on Aaron Rodgers to throw them the ball, which he may be a grumpy old man and decide not to do.  He did break that trend and pass quite a bit to MVS as a rookie in 2018, so push comes to shove, perhaps he will.

And can the special teams improve?  Like, they can't get worse, right? Right?

I'd run an end-around on the "No Injuries" caveat like you did and say no NEW injuries - Jenkins/Bakh don't return, leaving the OL looking shaky, and GB is leaning hard on Rodgers being able to elevate WRs (or for them to simply step up to an amazing opportunity) like Lazard and the aging Watkins/Cobb, along with depending on probably at least one of the rookies to hit in his 1st season. Also no guarantee Tonyan comes back (who, again, after 2020 was due to regress to a not-bad 40-500-5 yr) or that Deguara steps up. So with all those, the passing game returns to 2018 levels with Rodgers eating the ball on a ridiculous amount of sacks. 

With no injuries, I'm not worried too much about the D. Worst case there is Devondre Campbell and Rasul Douglas were mirages, which leaves the D looking just OK instead of potentially very good. 

And as you said, ST was already in worst-case scenario and has been for years, so basically no way to go but up. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, HoboRocket said:

Jimmy G, Nick Foles, Jared Goff, Joe Flacco, Colin Kaepernick... all have gone to the Super Bowl in the past decade. They're 2-3 in an Era where like half of the appearances are Brady

What's interesting is that the three losses could be traced to issues other than the QB.

Both Niners losses to elite unit was the defense - gave up the the lead to the Chiefs, and allowed Ravens to score over 30.

For the Rams, you have to think if Kupp and Gurley were healthy and 100% we win given that it was a 3-3 game in the fourth.

So you could actually argue that those QBs could have easily been 5-0 (well 4-1 since two of them played each other).

• Like 1