Will 2 teams from the same conference make the playoffs ???

Iamcanadian

Just now, thrILL! said:

Your resume includes an embarrassing 31 point annihilation by a 7-5 Iowa team.  

Alabama hasn’t lost by 31 points in the past 4 seasons combined.  

Who cares about the past 4 years its about this year.  This year Alabama has no good wins.  Also the argument can be made for the Iowa game is it is common for a superior team to come out flat against a weaker opponent the week after a big emotional game.  Penn State also loss to an inferior team that week and then came back to start playing well again.

Just now, Raves said:

Who cares about the past 4 years its about this year.  This year Alabama has no good wins.  Also the argument can be made for the Iowa game is it is common for a superior team to come out flat against a weaker opponent the week after a big emotional game.  Penn State also loss to an inferior team that week and then came back to start playing well again.

So you can justify Ohio State's blowout loss against Iowa but not understand the justification of Alabama playing in Auburn and losing a close game? The same Auburn team that destroyed in a home game against Georgia, a playoff team?

6 minutes ago, Raves said:

Alabama is still making a mockery of scheduling and relying on just winning the SEC to make it, and they didn't win it.

LMAO.  You do know you play in the Little 10, right?  We have scheduled big name opponents the last decade to open the season.  

How'd you do in your big out of conference game?  

5cf5f417c1fd275061f7bd36848575f3

1 minute ago, RollEagles said:

When people say Alabama makes a mockery of scheduling, it's just an objectively wrong statement. They have consistently scheduled a tough OOC game every single season. For Alabama, that didn't pay off this year with Florida State falling apart.

2017: Florida State

2016: USC

2015: Wisconsin

2014: West Virginia

2013: Virginia Tech

2012: Michigan

2011: at Penn State

2010: vs. Penn State

2009: Virginia Tech

2008: Clemson

2007: at Florida State

I don't cheer for Alabama anymore but I just get annoyed when people run with this narrative. Give them credit. Alabama has consistently scheduled difficult OOC games. Name one other program in the country that can match that. 

And also, your narrative that they just rely on winning the SEC is absurd when you look at the quality programs they've scheduled OOC literally every season for the past decade.

Ohio State does better in scheduling, especially considering they are normally booked 4-7 years out and they dont put schedule the Northeastern Middle State Div 2 cupcakes

10 minutes ago, PAW said:

I agree B1G winner should get 4th spot. But I'm saying if they do put Bama in, IMO they have to pair them with Georgia. No one wants to see a potential SEC Championship when the conference wasn't even that good this year. 

Plus, it opens the door for a rubber match with Clemson. Just makes the most sense to do it that way from an entertainment standpoint. 

In comparing Ohio State and Alabama this year, the bottom line is this:

Alabama has 1 loss. It was on the road at Auburn, a good team.

Ohio State has 2 losses. One of Ohio State's losses was to a bad Iowa team that was a blowout. The other was to a very good team in Oklahoma at home.

2 losses and one of them being to a bad Iowa team. That's the difference. 

If that was the only loss for Ohio State and they won the B1G, then yes, OSU would definitely be deserving. 

4 minutes ago, Raves said:

Also the argument can be made for the Iowa game is it is common for a superior team to come out flat against a weaker opponent the week after a big emotional game.  

Nobody in their right mind takes that argument seriously.  

1 minute ago, Raves said:

Ohio State does better in scheduling, especially considering they are normally booked 4-7 years out and they dont put schedule the Northeastern Middle State Div 2 cupcakes

Oh I guess Alabama just schedules their OOC games the year before? Not sure how you give OSU credit for booking them 4-7 years out when Alabama books those games in a similar time frame.

And sure, I would give OSU the edge there if their alternative to Alabama's other OOC wasn't teams like UNLV on OSU's schedule.

1 minute ago, RollEagles said:

So you can justify Ohio State's blowout loss against Iowa but not understand the justification of Alabama playing in Auburn and losing a close game? The same Auburn team that destroyed in a home game against Georgia, a playoff team?

I said the justification could be made.  Also if Auburn beat Georgia in the SEC championship then its a different story, they lost and are now a 3 loss team.  Also it was 26-14 and Alabama player Mercer the week before, might as well had been a bye week to prepare for Auburn, so they have no justification.

1 minute ago, thrILL! said:

Nobody in their right mind takes that argument seriously.  

The argument he's making is like how we dealt with Oklahoma State proponents saying their football team lost to Iowa State that year because of the plane crash and that should be used as a justification to let OK State into the championship game in 2011.

Alabama at best can claim to be the third best team in their conference. How can they claim to be the fourth best team in the nation. Not to mention their coach went on a rant about how you don't deserve to get in the playoffs unless you win your conference. I literally ca nt see a way to justify them getting in. 

Just now, Raves said:

I said the justification could be made.  Also if Auburn beat Georgia in the SEC championship then its a different story, they lost and are now a 3 loss team.  Also it was 26-14 and Alabama player Mercer the week before, might as well had been a bye week to prepare for Auburn, so they have no justification.

It was 26-14 but also close all game. You know that. 

Auburn played UL-Monroe the week before so by your logic, they also basically had a bye week to prepare for Alabama. 

And if you want to say the score of the Auburn game, we should say the score of the Iowa game for OSU. Iowa is a 7-5 team. And OSU lost to Iowa 55-24. 

Let me just repeat that. OSU, a playoff contender, lost to Iowa, a 7-5 team, by 31 points.

Lost to a 7-5 team by 31 points. 

31 points. 

Just now, PAW said:

The Auburn Alabama game wasn't as close as the score suggests. Auburn controlled the game. 

It was 14-10 Alabama early in the 3rd quarter. 

Auburn certainly controlled the line of scrimmage in the 2nd half and their DL was incredible. But it was certainly a close game.

9 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

They tried with FSU, I give them credit. It just hasn’t worked out in their favor and they lost when it mattered most. 

Tried?  We derailed an entire program with that opening beatdown.  Knocked out Francois and the team completely crumbled.  They were the #3 team who EVERYBODY expected to contend for the playoffs.  

We destroyed everybody in our path except a good Miss St team and Auburn.   Ppl act like EVERY P5 conference wasn’t down this season. They all were.  Clemson gets a pass for Syracuse smoking them bcuz Bryant got hurt.  As if Bama hasn’t had way more key players hurt.  It can’t be an excuse some of the time.  Yes, Clemson is crushing Miami and  deserves a top 3 seed   I still don’t get how they’re ahead of Oklahoma considering they have had a better season   

If Ohio St came out here and murked Wisconsin tonight, I would’ve been all aboard them being 4.  But you cannot ignore the 2 losses.  Esp to a pathetic opponent by more than 4 TDs.  Those don’t just magically disappear.  

Archived