Will 2 teams from the same conference make the playoffs ???

Iamcanadian

2 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:
6 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Only potential drama would be if Ohio State obliterates Wisconsin.  If that happens then I could see them making it instead.  However, anything less than a 28+ point win and Alabama will comfortably make it.

I still think if Ohio State wins 50-0, Bama makes it

Agreed, but it would at least bring some drama to the proceedings instead of being super obvious.

There are just some holes in this whole system. Auburn beats Bama and goes to #2 and the conference title game. So, three spots ahead of Bama and the head to head. By advancing and playing in the conference title game and losing, rather than their year being over, they are penalized and fall behind Bama, who is probably the 3rd best team in the SEC, never played UGA, and hasn’t beaten a top 15 team? Maybe Wisconsin will just win tonight and stop this madness. 

55 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

There are just some holes in this whole system. Auburn beats Bama and goes to #2 and the conference title game. So, three spots ahead of Bama and the head to head. By advancing and playing in the conference title game and losing, rather than their year being over, they are penalized and fall behind Bama, who is probably the 3rd best team in the SEC, never played UGA, and hasn’t beaten a top 15 team? Maybe Wisconsin will just win tonight and stop this madness. 

I'm actually kind of hoping that happens, and I'm an OSU fan. I don't think that OSU deserves to be there even with a blowout win against Wisconsin, but I really am not sure that Alabama belongs in there either. I don't know. I mean, obviously they have the talent (but then again so does OSU) to be one of the top 4 most talented teams, but their resume just isn't all that great to me. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I'm actually kind of hoping that happens, and I'm an OSU fan. I don't think that OSU deserves to be there even with a blowout win against Wisconsin, but I really am not sure that Alabama belongs in there either. I don't know. I mean, obviously they have the talent (but then again so does OSU) to be one of the top 4 most talented teams, but their resume just isn't all that great to me. 

Problem is their resume is still 100x better than Alabama's as well as being the conference champ.  Plua both teans would have 11 wins

Just now, Raves said:

Problem is their resume is still 100x better than Alabama's as well as being the conference champ.

Yeah, I don't know what I'd do. There's no other team that you can reasonably put there, and neither of them deserve it, quite frankly. 

Just now, Forge said:

Yeah, I don't know what I'd do. There's no other team that you can reasonably put there, and neither of them deserve it, quite frankly. 

Agreed.  I think this is just the year you take the 4 best conference champs and call it a day.  Alabama hasn't done anything to show they deserve to be in the playoffs with their horrible resume and literally losing to the only good team they've played.  I don't think Ohio State really deserves it either and would prefer them not to make it, but no one would actually have a better case to make it over them if Ohio State is a conference champ based on resume.

Just now, PAW said:

If the committee puts Bama in, they need to pair them with Georgia. 

Or just not put them in.  When Ohio State got the nod over Penn State their resume was much much better including OOC scheduling, Alabama is still making a mockery of scheduling and relying on just winning the SEC to make it, and they didn't win it.  Hell even Saban said it should only be conference champs

1 minute ago, Raves said:

Or just not put them in.  When Ohio State got the nod over Penn State their resume was much much better including OOC scheduling, Alabama is still making a mockery of scheduling and relying on just winning the SEC to make it, and they didn't win it.  Hell even Saban said it should only be conference champs

I agree B1G winner should get 4th spot. But I'm saying if they do put Bama in, IMO they have to pair them with Georgia. No one wants to see a potential SEC Championship when the conference wasn't even that good this year. 

1 hour ago, Raves said:

Problem is their resume is still 100x better than Alabama's as well as being the conference champ.  Plua both teans would have 11 wins

Your resume includes an embarrassing 31 point annihilation by a 7-5 Iowa team.  

Alabama hasn’t lost by 31 points in the past 4 seasons combined.  

1 minute ago, PAW said:

I agree B1G winner should get 4th spot. But I'm saying if they do put Bama in, IMO they have to pair them with Georgia. No one wants to see a potential SEC Championship when the conference wasn't even that good this year. 

The only way i want to see 2 teams from a conference making it into the playoffs is if both teams have strong SOS including OOC wins, both teams in the same division, and the 2nd team is a 1 loss with a close loss to the undefeated champ.  LSU/Alabama rematch would've been a good example of 2 teams making it in from one conference, Ohio State/Michigan in 2006 would've been a good example as well.

3 minutes ago, Raves said:

When people say Alabama makes a mockery of scheduling, it's just an objectively wrong statement. They have consistently scheduled a tough OOC game every single season. For Alabama, that didn't pay off this year with Florida State falling apart.

2017: Florida State

2016: USC

2015: Wisconsin

2014: West Virginia

2013: Virginia Tech

2012: Michigan

2011: at Penn State

2010: vs. Penn State

2009: Virginia Tech

2008: Clemson

2007: at Florida State

I don't cheer for Alabama anymore but I just get annoyed when people run with this narrative. Give them credit. Alabama has consistently scheduled difficult OOC games. Name one other program in the country that can match that. 

And also, your narrative that they just rely on winning the SEC is absurd when you look at the quality programs they've scheduled OOC literally every season for the past decade.

2 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

Your resume includes an embarrassing 31 point annihilation by a 7-5 Iowa team.  

Alabama hasn’t lost by 31 points in the past 4 seasons combined.  

Not many are going to argue as much in favor of OSU as they are against Bama. That Iowa loss was horrible. Bama just doesn’t have good wins or a conference title, not a playoff resume or close, really. They tried with FSU, I give them credit. It just hasn’t worked out in their favor and they lost when it mattered most. 

Archived