Will 2 teams from the same conference make the playoffs ???

Iamcanadian

Just now, thrILL! said:

This thread is just gonna keep going in circles esp when the other knuckleheads show up. Both squads have a legit argument so I’ll just say this...

If you guys get picked, congrats.  

If we do, we'll go out and represent. 

I think that if Alabama makes it, they might be favorites. I'm between Alabama or Georgia at that point

5 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

How many Nattys have you won the last 8 years?  One?  How cute.  

How many Nattys have you won in the last 3 years where you dont just make it on name recognition and dont have to prove it against a field of worthy opponents?  Just one?  How cute.

There are plenty of years where Alabama won where if it was the playoff system they probably wouldnt have one, or well the oen complete BS one where ESECPN pretty much guaranteed a win for their flagship.

UCF is undefeated, won a Conference Championship game and beat 3 top 25 teams (Memphis twice, USF), ranked 16 and 23. Their ranked opponents were 10-1 and 9-2. One was their conference championship opponent. 

Alabama lost a game, didn't play for a conference championship, and beat 2 teams that will finish ranked the regular season ranked- LSU and Mississippi St. Ranked opponents- 9-3, 8-4. The 3rd and 4th ranked in their own division. (Congrats, Alabama, you are solidly the 2nd best team in your own division.) 

This playoff system sucks. Period. 

Just now, ronjon1990 said:

UCF is undefeated, won a Conference Championship game and beat 3 top 25 teams (Memphis twice, USF), ranked 16 and 23. Their ranked opponents were 10-1 and 9-2. One was their conference championship opponent. 

Alabama lost a game, didn't play for a conference championship, and beat 2 teams that will finish ranked the regular season ranked- LSU and Mississippi St. Ranked opponents- 9-3, 8-4. The 3rd and 4th ranked in their own division. (Congrats, Alabama, you are solidly the 2nd best team in your own division.) 

This playoff system sucks. Period. 

You can not possibly be arguing UCF over Alabama are you?

44 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

You can not possibly be arguing UCF over Alabama are you?

Every Game Counts

The College Football Playoff preserves the excitement and significance of college football’s unique regular season where every game counts.

Four Teams

The selection committee ranks the teams based on the members’ evaluation of the teams’ performance on the field, using conference championships won, strength of schedule, head-to-head results, and comparison of results against common opponents to decide among teams that are comparable.

Universal Access

Every FBS team has equal access to the College Football Playoff based on its performance. No team automatically qualifies.

In reality? No, I'm not. Alabama is probably the better team. 

But based on what the Committee's "goals" are, according to their website, I'll complain about the blatant hypocrisy and how bs of a system it is. 

It's turning into the BCS all over again. Of 12 total berths since it's inception, we've seen 8 different teams make the playoffs,  3 teams have been repeats. 1 team did not have a conference championship to play for, 1 did not play for theirs. 

This year, figuring Clemson, Oklahoma, and Alabama/Ohio St are put in, we will have seen Clemson in 3 straight (they won, so that's ok), Oklahoma in for a 2nd time (that's fine too, they earned it), Alabama for the 4th time (despite finishing 2nd in their division) or Ohio State for the 3rd time (despite 2 losses). 

Thus, out of 16 total possible births, we have Alabama (4 [3]), Clemson (3), Oklahoma (2), and Ohio State (3 [2]) taking up 11 of those births, 4 of which directly contradict the goals of the CFP. We've already seen the NCG repeated (that's fine, but unexciting), run the risk of seeing either Ohio State-Oklahoma (regular season) again this year, Clemson-Ohio St for the 2nd year, Alabama-Clemson for the 3rd year...

My soft spot for underdogs like UCF aside, its frustrating that the CFP was supposed to be exciting. It's losing that luster with 4 teams. 

The reality is, Alabama essentially automatically qualifies, conference championships mean little, and every game only counts if you aren't a big name school with a whiny head coach because equal access to the Playoff is beyond a farce. And IF Alabama gets in over Ohio St., they're getting in ahead of the top team in their own division. So we're stuck with either a 3rd best team in a conference or a 2 loss team with a heck of an ugly loss. I'd feel better about Auburn staying in, they deserve it more. And even that makes me aggravated. 

1 minute ago, ronjon1990 said:

Lose late, get a free extra bye while other teams work for it? 

Literally just having 1 loss, that's their ONLY argument to get in over Ohio State.  At that point UCF has a better case than Alabama, heck even Wisconsin still has a better argument as they are 12-1 not 11-1 

13 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

In reality? No, I'm not. Alabama is probably the better team. 

But based on what the Committee's "goals" are, according to their website, I'll complain about the blatant hypocrisy and how bs of a system it is. 

It's turning into the BCS all over again. Of 12 total berths since it's inception, we've seen 8 different teams make the playoffs,  3 teams have been repeats. 1 team did not have a conference championship to play for, 1 did not play for theirs. 

This year, figuring Clemson, Oklahoma, and Alabama/Ohio St are put in, we will have seen Clemson in 3 straight (they won, so that's ok), Oklahoma in for a 2nd time (that's fine too, they earned it), Alabama for the 4th time (despite finishing 2nd in their division) or Ohio State for the 3rd time (despite 2 losses). 

Thus, out of 16 total possible births, we have Alabama (4 [3]), Clemson (3), Oklahoma (2), and Ohio State (3 [2]) taking up 11 of those births, 4 of which directly contradict the goals of the CFP. We've already seen the NCG repeated (that's fine, but unexciting), run the risk of seeing either Ohio State-Oklahoma (regular season) again this year, Clemson-Ohio St for the 2nd year, Alabama-Clemson for the 3rd year...

My soft spot for underdogs like UCF aside, its frustrating that the CFP was supposed to be exciting. It's losing that luster with 4 teams. 

The reality is, Alabama essentially automatically qualifies, conference championships mean little, and every game only counts if you aren't a big name school with a whiny head coach because equal access to the Playoff is beyond a farce. And IF Alabama gets in over Ohio St., they're getting in ahead of the top team in their own division. So we're stuck with either a 3rd best team in a conference or a 2 loss team with a heck of an ugly loss. I'd feel better about Auburn staying in, they deserve it more. And even that makes me aggravated. 

Agreed

3 minutes ago, Raves said:

Literally just having 1 loss, that's their ONLY argument to get in over Ohio State.  At that point UCF has a better case than Alabama, heck even Wisconsin still has a better argument as they are 12-1 not 11-1 

Sad thing is, I'm not even particularly anti-Alabama. I think they might be one of the top 4 teams in the country. But mathematically, they aren't. They lost to a team with a loss that just lost AGAIN. Why should I believe that Alabama would have beaten Georgia today? Why is it even debatable they get a chance? If Clemson had lost today and still got shoehorned into that 4th spot, I'd say the same for them. I'm not wild about Ohio St getting in either. Congrats on toppling Wisconsin and spoiling their chance, but that shouldn't erase the Iowa loss or the fact they lost 2 games or the fact that there is a team that met every bit of the criteria they could have in UCF that isn't being considered at all. 

Having watched UCF play, I don't see why they couldn't hang with Clemson or Oklahoma. I watched in person as Troy beat LSU at home by a similar margin and more impressively than Alabama beat LSU in Tuscaloosa. I saw Georgia get curbstomped by an Auburn team they stomped today. I watched Clemson look very mortal against lesser opponents time and time again this season and lose to Syracuse who hung in with LSU before they lost to Troy. I saw Ohio State lose by 15 and then to an unranked Iowa by 30+. I saw Oklahoma lose to IOWA FRIGGIN STATE. What did I not see? Unlike UCF, Clemson, and Ohio State, I didn't see Alabama playing today. 

If anyone can honestly give me an unbiased reason to not argue UCF getting in over Alabama, if not Ohio State, I'd love to hear it. 

1 minute ago, ronjon1990 said:

Sad thing is, I'm not even particularly anti-Alabama. I think they might be one of the top 4 teams in the country. But mathematically, they aren't. They lost to a team with a loss that just lost AGAIN. Why should I believe that Alabama would have beaten Georgia today? Why is it even debatable they get a chance? If Clemson had lost today and still got shoehorned into that 4th spot, I'd say the same for them. I'm not wild about Ohio St getting in either. Congrats on toppling Wisconsin and spoiling their chance, but that shouldn't erase the Iowa loss or the fact they lost 2 games or the fact that there is a team that met every bit of the criteria they could have in UCF that isn't being considered at all. 

Having watched UCF play, I don't see why they couldn't hang with Clemson or Oklahoma. I watched in person as Troy beat LSU at home by a similar margin and more impressively than Alabama beat LSU in Tuscaloosa. I saw Georgia get curbstomped by an Auburn team they stomped today. I watched Clemson look very mortal against lesser opponents time and time again this season and lose to Syracuse who hung in with LSU before they lost to Troy. I saw Ohio State lose by 15 and then to an unranked Iowa by 30+. I saw Oklahoma lose to IOWA FRIGGIN STATE. What did I not see? Unlike UCF, Clemson, and Ohio State, I didn't see Alabama playing today. 

If anyone can honestly give me an unbiased reason to not argue UCF getting in over Alabama, if not Ohio State, I'd love to hear it. 

I'd put UCF in there.  I don't think Ohio State deserves it because they haven't played like they should've all year and I don't think Alabama should get in for having a poor SOS and then getting to sit at home and hope to backdoor in on their reputation.  At least with Ohio State last year they had the high number of quality wins to justify going in over Penn State, Alabama doesn't have a single win to justify it.

Unless the team that’s picked as the 4-seed manages to upset Clemson, all that will be said is that the committee picked the wrong team. Even though that 4-seed won’t be favored over Clemson. It’s probably a no-win for everyone involved, unless there’s an upset. I am of the opinion that Bama might match up a little better than OSU vs. Clemson but don’t think either one is good enough this season to win that matchup. JMO. Could be a long off-season for one of these two fan bases  of “I told you so.”  Especially if the Mom-selected team wins their bowl game. 

Just now, Raves said:

I'd put UCF in there.  I don't think Ohio State deserves it because they haven't played like they should've all year and I don't think Alabama should get in for having a poor SOS and then getting to sit at home and hope to backdoor in on their reputation.  At least with Ohio State last year they had the high number of quality wins to justify going in over Penn State, Alabama doesn't have a single win to justify it.

With Fresno State losing today, Alabama's ranked wins are over LSU (credit to them for being one of Auburn's 3 losses, but they lost to TROY) and Mississippi State (who didn't beat a ranked opponent this year).

UCF beat Memphis (10-2 w/ a win over UCLA (who beat A&M) and USF (9-2 with losses by a combined 11 points). 

UCF has the better wins than Alabama, conference bias aside. Pretty sure Memphis and USF would beat either MSSt. or LSU. At worst, it's a close call. 

UCF's resume is better because they didn't lose and won their conference. 

Glad to know I'm not the only one bud!

Archived