Will 2 teams from the same conference make the playoffs ???

Iamcanadian

5 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Sad thing is, I'm not even particularly anti-Alabama. I think they might be one of the top 4 teams in the country. But mathematically, they aren't. They lost to a team with a loss that just lost AGAIN. Why should I believe that Alabama would have beaten Georgia today? Why is it even debatable they get a chance? If Clemson had lost today and still got shoehorned into that 4th spot, I'd say the same for them. I'm not wild about Ohio St getting in either. Congrats on toppling Wisconsin and spoiling their chance, but that shouldn't erase the Iowa loss or the fact they lost 2 games or the fact that there is a team that met every bit of the criteria they could have in UCF that isn't being considered at all. 

Having watched UCF play, I don't see why they couldn't hang with Clemson or Oklahoma. I watched in person as Troy beat LSU at home by a similar margin and more impressively than Alabama beat LSU in Tuscaloosa. I saw Georgia get curbstomped by an Auburn team they stomped today. I watched Clemson look very mortal against lesser opponents time and time again this season and lose to Syracuse who hung in with LSU before they lost to Troy. I saw Ohio State lose by 15 and then to an unranked Iowa by 30+. I saw Oklahoma lose to IOWA FRIGGIN STATE. What did I not see? Unlike UCF, Clemson, and Ohio State, I didn't see Alabama playing today. 

If anyone can honestly give me an unbiased reason to not argue UCF getting in over Alabama, if not Ohio State, I'd love to hear it. 

Overall strength of schedule being incredibly weak and the eye test.   I think they have the best argument though.

If not UCF, then OSU, the top 4 playoff teams should be playing championship weekend.  OSU shouldn’t have been in last year.

One of the biggest problems with the rankings this year was leapfrogging. I’m not a fan of it. Teams get moved up into the top 4 way too quickly, and then fall way out when they lose.

Drop out Auburn, drop out Wisconsin, and side the next two up.

1. Clemson

2. OU

3. UGA

4. Bama

For me, if Alabama gets in, the whole playoff system becomes no better the BCS and is back to square one and serious consideration will have to be given to allowing 8 teams into the playoffs.

It should be:

Clemson

Georgia

Oklahoma

USC, vs Ohio St. should be the battle. No way, Alabama should even be in the conversation based on SOS. But like I said before, Ohio St. and Alabama are huge TV draws and will bring in extra millions of dollars in revenue and that is all the NCAA really cares about.

21 minutes ago, Iamcanadian said:

For me, if Alabama gets in, the whole playoff system becomes no better the BCS and is back to square one and serious consideration will have to be given to allowing 8 teams into the playoffs.

It should be:

Clemson

Georgia

Oklahoma

USC, vs Ohio St. should be the battle. No way, Alabama should even be in the conversation based on SOS. But like I said before, Ohio St. and Alabama are huge TV draws and will bring in extra millions of dollars in revenue and that is all the NCAA really cares about.

It already is. They say "every team has a shot". Unless all P5 schools lose 3 games, it isn't happening that way. What does the committee want from non P5 schools? They're blocked, no matter what. 4 spots, 5 power conferences. 1 and 2 loss power conference teams ranked ahead of undefeated non P5 teams. Or this year, when it's likely that a 3 loss Auburn and multiple 2 loss teams are still ranked ahead of UCF. It's garbage. So long as there is an undefeated team out there at the end of the regular season and conference championship games, the argument over the "best 1 or 2 loss" team should not even exist. The fact that it does and has now happened two times in a row shows how bad this system is. WMU, for what its worth, was stuck behind 10 teams with at least 2 losses, 6 3-loss teams, and a 4 loss team. Do I think they were one of the top 4 teams? Probably not. But to have them stuck behind a 4 freaking loss team is an absolute joke.

And like the other poster said, teams get shoved into the top 4, lose a game, fall way behind other teams. The fact that the committee had Alabama in place ahead of 3 teams playing for conference championships today says it all. 1 loss Georgia and Miami should have been ahead of Alabama to begin with. Ohio State should only be playing spoiler this year, not playing for a spot among the best. Same for USC. Auburn, with 2 losses, probably shouldn't have been ranked as high to begin with either, certainly not with Penn St. being stuck so far down. 

If they put 2 $EC teams in the playoff, they need to do the right thing and rank them 1 and 4 so that they play each other in the 1st round. If they both get beat in the first round, or worse, have an all SEC National Title, I'm 100% in agreement with pretty much every other expert out there that there will be a massive playoff expansion, choas, a ratings tank, etc.

You know what, scratch that. I hope that either both lose in the first round or there is a Georgia/Alabama National Title so that this will expand to an 8 team playoff with clear criteria. Each Power 5 conference sends a representative, and then there are 3 at large positions for the "eye test". You want to take a 2016 OSU or a 2017 Alabama? Go for it, but the 2016 PSUs of this world are also getting in.

Head to head matters.

Strength of schedule matters.

The eye test could still matter.

Honestly, Alabama could be the best team in the nation this year or they could be a total fraud due to their joke of a resume. One of their Top 25 wins just went down the drain yesterday in Fresno State (LOL).

AND OSU got absolutely EMBARRASSED by 30+ points this year for their 2nd loss. That said, they'd have been better off scheduling Mercer than Oklahoma, because a 12-1 B1G Champ, losing by 30 or not, would be in. If you don't believe me, ask the SEC champion Georgia Bulldogs, who were embarrassed for their lone loss this year, even if Auburn wasn't in the title game for the revenge factor.

This isn't the same situation as last year. Ohio State had a good resume last year. Alabama doesn't this year. Just because they left a 2 loss conference champ out last year for a 1 loss team who didn't win their conference doesn't mean they will this year when the other factors aren't even close to being the same. 

Alabama's argument is the eye test only.  But we can all agree Oklahoma is a top for team this year.  If they lost yesterday no one would be saying put them in because they're clearly one of the four best teams.  Eye test is great but you have to have some type of resume.

My other issue with Alabama getting in is it won't be fair to Clemson. We are supposed to get home field advantage and New Orleans would be much more favorable to Alabama than it would us. 

Archived