Will 2 teams from the same conference make the playoffs ???

Iamcanadian

Hmm, Auburn would've been the first two loss team in if they won the SEC. Being that Bama was always near the top, always had a target on their shoulder, and beat an elite (projected) FSU team it was evident their chance was based on more than reputation.

2 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Got OSU in last year and almost kept Washington out.

No it didn't.  It is very clear Penn State's blowout loss to Michigan (and the fact they had 2 losses) is what kept them out last year and gave Ohio State the spot.  Not Ohio State beating Oklahoma.  They could've replaced Oklahoma with Mercer last year and made it over Penn State.

Just now, seminoles1 said:

But it didn't keep Washington out.  It did keep Ohio State out this year.

No, getting spanked by Iowa kept them out. You keep stating as fact that if they didn't have that 2nd loss to Oklahoma they would have made it. At best that is speculative. But I would point out that Holcutt never mentioned two losses. The two things he mentioned were the committee feeling Bama was unequivocally better and the 30+ point loss to Iowa.

2 minutes ago, mse326 said:

No, getting spanked by Iowa kept them out. You keep stating as fact that if they didn't have that 2nd loss to Oklahoma they would have made it. At best that is speculative. But I would point out that Holcutt never mentioned two losses. The two things he mentioned were the committee feeling Bama was unequivocally better and the 30+ point loss to Iowa.

Ohio State made it in 2014 with an awful loss at home to a 7-6 Virginia Tech team.  They had 0 good OOC wins.

1 minute ago, seminoles1 said:

Ohio State made it in 2014 with an awful loss at home to a 7-6 Virginia Tech team.  They had 0 good OOC wins.

The loss was only by 14. Not saying it was a good loss but it wasn't close to as bad as Iowa. It was also at the beginning of the season. They also won 59-0 in the B1G Championship. They were also going against the madness that was the Big 12 that I think the committee wanted to somewhat avoid.

Not even close to the same. Though I will also say I didn't think they should be in.

5 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

You might be misremembering that game. 

In 2014, OSU lost to Va Tech in a game that was tied at 21 at the start of the 4th quarter. People could make the argument that OSU had a bad quarter and that it wasn't entirely representative of how good OSU actually was. 

In 2017, OSU lost to Iowa in a game that was 45-17 at the start of the 4th quarter. That was 4 quarters of Iowa dominating OSU. It really accentuated some of the very real problems that OSU had this season.

11 minutes ago, RollEagles said:

You might be misremembering that game. 

In 2014, OSU lost to Va Tech in a game that was tied at 21 at the start of the 4th quarter. People could make the argument that OSU had a bad quarter and that it wasn't entirely representative of how good OSU actually was. 

In 2017, OSU lost to Iowa in a game that was 45-17 at the start of the 4th quarter. That was 4 quarters of Iowa dominating OSU. It really accentuated some of the very real problems that OSU had this season.

I definitely misremembered that VaTech game then.  I thought it was a comfortable win that wasn't as close as the score indicated.  Mostly disregard, though I still think Ohio State would have made it had they been 12-1 instead of 11-2.  Obviously I can't prove it or anything, just how I feel the committee would have gone.

Just now, Raves said:

I hope Ohio State decides to cancel their good OOC opponents and just schedule Mercer and Little Mothers of the East now.  Make sure they don't lose 2 games by playing a quality opponent.

or maybe they should win against average teams and not get blown out?

Just now, GSUeagles14 said:

must be nice to just ignore reality... not like this came straight from the horse mouth or anything.

So not having an off day is more important than actually beating quality opponents, so like I said, don't schedule quality opponents that if you get a bad day will definitely beat you.  Alabama had 1 good opponent and lost and no difficult stretches.  THis is really jsut more SEC bias, I don't even think Ohio State deserve to make it, but Alabama definitely didn't deserve it either finishing 3rd in their own damn conference.  But since the real system seems to be don't have 2 losses unless you're in the SEC where you will have your conference overranked from the jump so that if you do lose a game you can still jump every other 1 or 0 loss team to get into the top 4 for having a "good win."

Archived