Will 2 teams from the same conference make the playoffs ???

Iamcanadian

19 minutes ago, MookieMonster said:

Bama beat FSU at full strength to start the year...Please don't pretend the FSU team now is the same one that started the year. They lost a very talented starting QB. Bama was 1-1 against top 10 teams. Ohio State was 2-1. Bama didn't even play Troy this year...so I don't know what you're talking about there.

So yes, Bama has a better resume because they had ONE loss to a top 10 team and Ohio State had TWO losses, one of which was an absolute blowout to an average, unranked team. Make all the excuses you want, but Ohio State has no business losing to Iowa and if they don't its an EASY choice for the top 4 teams.

Who knows what in week one? Are we going to pretend we KNEW FSU would be good? We can ASSUME they would be but we don't KNOW anything. Maybe we should just schedule Mercer and only play 9 power 5 games instead of 11. We could leave off Iowa, play Mercer and get in!!!

Klatt does a good job explaining it:

21 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

I'd be OK w/ your 8 team scenario but how much school would these kids have to miss as a result?

Zero, except for the two national title finalists. It's only 1 extra game, but most schools are out for the semester as of December 15 at the latest. Since the "extra week" would take place the week after Christmas, then they'd miss zero extra school. Our high school kids play 15 games if they make it to the state title game. This whole "their bodies can't handle one more week" theory is laughable.

That's the only thing I'm unsure of. I know if Ohio, we moved all schools to semesters. Do other states follow that as well?

Almost all of them. Plus, even if other schools are on the old "Quarter system", they're done after Thanksgiving. If anything, that only adds even more evidence to my point.

I know w/ a mixture of semesters and quarters, there was a major difference in when people were in school and when they were not.

See above. :)

I'd love to see UCF get a crack at this thing. I wouldn't expect them to do well but they did play some damn good offense all year and I think they have the possibility to upset anyone.

I agree 100%. They should be one of the 3 "at large" selections. 

46 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

Who knows what in week one? Are we going to pretend we KNEW FSU would be good? We can ASSUME they would be but we don't KNOW anything. Maybe we should just schedule Mercer and only play 9 power 5 games instead of 11. We could leave off Iowa, play Mercer and get in!!!

Klatt does a good job explaining it:

Excuses are like... well, you know the saying. Ohio State got blown out by a 7-5 unranked team. End of discussion. Ohio State controlled its own fate and they failed to play well against a FAR inferior team, they have no one to blame but themselves. The committee absolutely made the right decision.

Yeah losing to Iowa is the reason why. No ifs ands or buts about it. That cost them their spot. Heck we wouldn’t be arguing about a #4 seed they would be the #3 IMO. 

Still tOSU is the better team.  Sucks they can’t show it. 

8 minutes ago, MookieMonster said:

Excuses are like... well, you know the saying. Ohio State got blown out by a 7-5 unranked team. End of discussion. Ohio State controlled its own fate and they failed to play well against a FAR inferior team, they have no one to blame but themselves. The committee absolutely made the right decision.

Making the right decision and having the better resume aren't the same thing here.

6 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Still tOSU is the better team

Find me a non OSU fan other than the moron Jesse Palmer who thinks that.

Disclosure: I'll still say they're wrong, but this way is more fun and helps me know who to avoid.

I totally understand and 100% support the Ohio State hate. They got absolutely embarrassed and shut out by Clemson last year, embarrassed by Iowa this year, and lost to Oklahoma, all with JT Barrett at the helm. OSU will have to prove it to get the benefit of the doubt in 2018 and beyond.

It's the same thing with my opinion Oklahoma. They'll actually need to prove that they won't get exposed as a fraud, just like every single year since their National Title run/dominance in 2000, aside from them beating a mediocre at best Auburn team last year and a nice win vs. a decent Alabama team in 2013, whether it be to Boise State, USC, Florida, Clemson twice, Texas A&M, LSU, and West Virginia. They're big stage frauds until they prove otherwise, which could be this year...or it could be more of the same.

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

Yeah losing to Iowa is the reason why. No ifs ands or buts about it. That cost them their spot. Heck we wouldn’t be arguing about a #4 seed they would be the #3 IMO. 

Still tOSU is the better team.  Sucks they can’t show it. 

Totally disagree with this, but they would've definitely had the better resume if they beat Iowa.

1 hour ago, JTagg7754 said:

Making the right decision and having the better resume aren't the same thing here.

What...Resume is basically strength of schedule, big wins, and then losses. Ohio State had one more big win, and a slightly better SOS (I believe) but the Iowa loss was a nail in the coffin. A team with 2 losses, one of which being a demoralizing loss to an unranked team has no business being in the College Football Playoffs over a team who's sole loss came to a top 10 team in a tough stadium to play in.

Literally no argument for Ohio State to have made it.

4 hours ago, mse326 said:

Find me a non OSU fan other than the moron Jesse Palmer who thinks that.

Disclosure: I'll still say they're wrong, but this way is more fun and helps me know who to avoid.

College football reference believes so. They think tOSU is the 5th best and Bama is the 8th best team. 538 thought tOSU was Better too

let me guess your going by the so called eye test? Cause stats and numbers don’t prove it

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

College football reference believes so. They think tOSU is the 5th best and Bama is the 8th best team. 538 thought tOSU was Better too

let me guess your going by the so called eye test? Cause stats and numbers don’t prove it

I don't like references method too much because I think it emphasizes margin of victory too much, and I don't think that is reliable enough good or bad (for instance I think Bama had a better game control though I will admit that I'm a little dubious how accurate that can be too).
EDIT: Reading a little more on it they even admit it favors offensive team over defensive teams (Obviously OSU isn't Oklahoma but it does skew more offensive than Alabama). 

Can you show me what you are looking at on 538? What I saw had Bama ahead in FPI (that is from ESPN), Record Strength, and 538 favorite ELO.

The overall, season-long résumé metrics clearly favored Alabama.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/should-alabamas-resume-have-trumped-ohio-states-conference-crown/

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/5/2017 at 10:29 AM, MWil23 said:

I totally understand and 100% support the Ohio State hate. They got absolutely embarrassed and shut out by Clemson last year, embarrassed by Iowa this year, and lost to Oklahoma, all with JT Barrett at the helm. OSU will have to prove it to get the benefit of the doubt in 2018 and beyond.

It's the same thing with my opinion Oklahoma. They'll actually need to prove that they won't get exposed as a fraud, just like every single year since their National Title run/dominance in 2000, aside from them beating a mediocre at best Auburn team last year and a nice win vs. a decent Alabama team in 2013, whether it be to Boise State, USC, Florida, Clemson twice, Texas A&M, LSU, and West Virginia. They're big stage frauds until they prove otherwise, which could be this year...or it could be more of the same.

Seems to me, Ohio St. were national Champions not too long ago. As for Oklahoma, they will have a first round QB at their helm and a new HC who has done nothing but win so far!!! I could be wrong, but Oklahoma also has an absolute stud at LT and will go in with a huge chip on their shoulder and could surprise everybody.

Archived