8.5 sacks, TFLs NA
1146 tackles, Solo tackles NA

Ed Reed
174 games: 169 games started
64 INTs, 7 TDs, PD 139
11 Forced Fumbles, 2 TDs off Fumble recovery
6 sacks, 32 TFLs
646 tackles, 534 Solo tackles

Granted Ronnie Lott could not play in the NFL today most likely based on how aggressively he hit, but his ball skills are not bad considering he was arguably the best hitting safety in NFL history.  Totally beats him in tackles and longevity as well.  Ed Reed is the modern safety that could do great in the game of today, Ronnie Lott might have been moved up to linebacker because again the hits he did would not fly now.  Still the fact he could make them and still be that productive was wildly impressive, and nuts he is only 6-0 203, I thought for sure he was 6-2 220 because he looked big on the field.  Ed Reed's passes deflected number is insane, curious how many Lott would of had, same with tackles for loss.  

Lott (and im a huge Ed Reed fan), he was just as impactful on the back end but was a lock down corner then converted to a HOF caliber safety. I actually think this is rather easy. 

He could knock the snot out of you or he could take the ball from you, He was a game changer at any position he played.

Ed Reed…arguably the greatest offensive-minded defensive player. Meaning, when he got a chance to catch the ball, he would score. He consistently forced the offense by putting pressure on them, knowing that any time he could get an interception, he would make them pay for it by scoring. To me, he’s one of the greatest ever. So, yeah, I would rank him a little bit higher  because of what he did in terms of putting points on the board.

On 7/12/2022 at 10:38 AM, Yin-Yang said:

Ed Reed…arguably the greatest offensive-minded defensive player. Meaning, when he got a chance to catch the ball, he would score. He consistently forced the offense by putting pressure on them, knowing that any time he could get an interception, he would make them pay for it by scoring. To me, he’s one of the greatest ever. So, yeah, I would rank him a little bit higher  because of what he did in terms of putting points on the board.

Let's not go crazy here. The guy scored 7 career defensive touchdowns. Tied for 12th all-time with Ty Law, Malcolm Jenkins, Jonathan Joseph, Otis Smith, Lem Barney, Herb Adderley, and Erich Barnes.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Let's not go crazy here. The guy scored 7 career defensive touchdowns. Tied for 12th all-time with Ty Law, Malcolm Jenkins, Jonathan Joseph, Otis Smith, Lem Barney, Herb Adderley, and Erich Barnes.

My post is entirely a quote from Ronnie Lott, lol.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

Ed Reed is 1st all time in INT return yards. TDs is not a great measure in this case. Ed Reed also lateraled the ball to his teammates quite a few times, so he could have had even more. 

• Like 4

I'd want both at strong and free safety.

I will agree with everyone who is saying Reed is the better safety but Lott the better overall player.

Its close and you can't go wrong with either choice IMO.

I think on the NFL 100 or something like that Manning was talking about how well Reed prepared. He faked him out and went all the way across the field and somehow Reed was there. On replay you saw Reed faking the fake out and full on sprinting to where he knew Manning was going. He had studied so much film that he had that play down. Manning was so impressed at that  (It could have been Brady but I'm 90% sure it was Manning)

Correction: It was BB talking about what Reed did to Manning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7l-En_8NKs

On 7/14/2022 at 12:11 PM, seminoles1 said:

Nice twist haha. Did not see that coming.

My point still stands though. Lott is wrong.

16 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

Ed Reed is 1st all time in INT return yards. TDs is not a great measure in this case. Ed Reed also lateraled the ball to his teammates quite a few times, so he could have had even more. 

Also notable, that even on that All-Time list, Sharper and Jenkins are the only pure safeties there. Reed’s also got a decent number of games played less than both. 

Lott’s statement was a little bit of hyperbole, but wasn’t really meant to be taken literally in the first place. How Reed played the game and his ability as a deep safety, is pretty much unparalleled.