Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

15 hours ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

Jimmy Butler-esque players aren't signing for the Cleveland Cavaliers. Hell Jimmy has a heck of a squad in Minnesota, and now the rumors are swirling that he wants out of there. Probably so he can run to New York, or LA, or one of the star laden cities that NBA franchises exist in. 

As it stands right now, no you're probably right. But if we had a great young nucleus and appeared to be a piece away from contending, we absolutely could.

What big-name free agents were signing in Golden State before they got Klay, Draymond, and Steph?

• Like 1

if you haven’t listen to it, listen to the round table talk with the Cavs bear writers from bull and fox. It’s 3 hours long. I just finished the first hour and it was good listening. Talked about so many things that were never discussed before. 

Like the franchise did have issues with Irving before even James came back. Irving never really wanted James to come back. The Bledso PG trade fell through because I pick involved wouldn’t be unprotected. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

I wish we could have gotten TT to do a partially guaranteed final year like we did with JR. 

Yeah I 100% agree with this. If we had another JR smith contract, we would be in a lot better shape. I was reading JR's contract has language in it where if we trade him, nothing is guaranteed at all and I think we get his full amount as a trade exception. While the other team can simply cut him. If we had him and TT like that, we could drop 30 mill off the cap with one trade. 

That's all

Mastercheddaar

15 hours ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

Us locking up TT and JR had so little to do with who LeBron wanted. Do you really think if we had been in a position to go out and get a better quality SG or C that LeBron would have been like "oh no, this is my squad"? The salary cap was at 70 million in 2015-16. With Bron, Kyrie, Love and Varejao at the time (later traded for Frye), we were basically out of cap space. Letting JR and TT walk at that time, we would have had no viable options on the free agent market to replace them with. Just like how the Warriors benefited from the increase in salary cap, we happened to get hosed by being in the spot we were in one season too early. JR wanted to earn good money on his likely last contract, and TT was either going to get paid by us, or leave, and we didn't have any better options at the time. 

I’ve come to the realization that it doesn’t matter how many times this is explained, some folks will continue to insist we any other option.

• Like 3

Yeah, that was solid. Could really tell that Sexton's aggressiveness should translate well to the pro game. Cedi will improve with a better role in the team. And Preston has real potential.

My hopes for those three: Sexton - starting PG on a playoff team caliber, Osman - 7th/8th guy on a playoff rotation caliber, Preston - Backup stretch PF.

On 7/6/2018 at 12:16 AM, BleedTheClock said:

As it stands right now, no you're probably right. But if we had a great young nucleus and appeared to be a piece away from contending, we absolutely could.

What big-name free agents were signing in Golden State before they got Klay, Draymond, and Steph?

You are right KD never would have signed with gs 5 years ago, but to play devil's advocate the warriors are a complete outlier of the way teams are built through the draft. Curry and Klay were lottery guys, but late lottery guys, green was a 2nd rounder. It was a. Perfect blend of having a system, find guys that compliment said system,and then getting all lucky with those players falling to you, I'm not 100% sure, but didn't Minnesota actually draft 2 pgs before curry was selected???

4 hours ago, Keylargobrownie said:

You are right KD never would have signed with gs 5 years ago, but to play devil's advocate the warriors are a complete outlier of the way teams are built through the draft. Curry and Klay were lottery guys, but late lottery guys, green was a 2nd rounder. It was a. Perfect blend of having a system, find guys that compliment said system,and then getting all lucky with those players falling to you, I'm not 100% sure, but didn't Minnesota actually draft 2 pgs before curry was selected???

Yes, Rubio and Flynn

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Keylargobrownie said:

Jonny Flynn and Rubio IIRC.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bonanza23 said:

This team is in far better shape than when Lebron left the first time. 

I think Preston can make it. You can see improvement since the first summer league game. He’s raw but he’s got talent. 

He’s like a baby deer. He’s going to need to spend a long time in the g league to get his coordination back. 

maybe I’m in the minority here but I can see cedi turning into something really special. Hes looked great in summer league and you can tell he learned a lot from Lebron. I’m really excited to see how He,Sexton, and Preston develop. I’m kinda hoping he makes a move to more of SG position. He seems very natural with the ball in his hand. A great passer and if he can work on being more consistent with his 3 and D he’s going to be special. 

5 hours ago, bosko1616 said:

maybe I’m in the minority here but I can see cedi turning into something really special. Hes looked great in summer league and you can tell he learned a lot from Lebron. I’m really excited to see how He,Sexton, and Preston develop. I’m kinda hoping he makes a move to more of SG position. He seems very natural with the ball in his hand. A great passer and if he can work on being more consistent with his 3 and D he’s going to be special. 

Special as in a star? Nah, don’t see that, but I think he could develop into a viable roatational player for a good team.

That’s not bad for a second rounder.

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Special as in a star? Nah, don’t see that, but I think he could develop into a viable roatational player for a good team.

That’s not bad for a second rounder.

I could see him being a solid starter. If he had a friendlier buy out during his draft year he would of been a first rd pick. Glad the Cavs took a chance with him knowing it would take a couple years

• FGK changed the title to Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck