Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

A 6’9 wing is exactly what we need. Hopefully he pans out. He has issues though. 

lots of issues lol His shot making/natural scoring ability are NBA level but the problem is he is poor in quite literally every other aspect of the game. From defense, passing, ball handling, BBIQ, ect--its all pretty bad.

He is a 2-3 year away project IMO but I feel like his high level comp is Brandon Ingram if everything goes perfectly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

lots of issues lol His shot making/natural scoring ability are NBA level but the problem is he is poor in quite literally every other aspect of the game. From defense, passing, ball handling, BBIQ, ect--its all pretty bad.

He is a 2-3 year away project IMO but I feel like his high level comp is Brandon Ingram if everything goes perfectly.

thats only on court

• Like 1

Gonna reserve comment on this player except for he certainly looks like he has a ton of growing up to do.

If, and only if, he is able to do that first - he will then earn the right to become an NBA player. Many past players had worlds of on the court talent that we never saw due to being an off the court knucklehead.

We'll see.

2 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Ehhh no

He was a 6’9 guard. His handles are good.

He has enough ball handling skills to take 2 dribbles and get to his jumper but I dont think he is ever going to be a guy walking the ball around the perimeter, breaking guys down and taking defenders to the rim off dribble. Its not catastrophically bad, but its going to limit him at least early in his career to being a bit of a one dimensional jump shooter.

Sort of like Michael Porter Jr in a way. Hes looking to take 2 dribbles and get to his pull up jumper, not that it is a bad thing--just pointing it out thats the type of player he is at least for now.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I thought Bates was a character concern guy for some reason. Apparently that isn’t true at all. He’s a good guy who works hard…just has a low BBL IQ. That can improve and I see why he has struggled. He was so amazing in HS that he never developed a team-oriented game. 

The nice thing for us is all he needs to do is get buckets playing off ball.

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The nice thing for us is all he needs to do is get buckets playing off ball.

Correct. Match made in heaven. If he’s a microwave scorer off the bench, that’s an amazing pick. They’re not similar athletes, but I could see him having a Jordan Clarkson type role for us as a shot chucking hot/cold weapon. Could be amazing and drop 25, could go cold and cost us a few games. I think that is his likely role.