Random Thoughts - Training Camp edition

dll2000

4 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

And SoFi.  It's going to be a gorgeous new stadium.

And hopefully not have the smallest capacity in the league anymore. Between that and hopefully taking advantage of architectural designs (overhands, noise reflective materials that angle back to the field, rounded dome top potentially, etc) ID be excited at the prospective designs. 

I'd like to see opposing QBs struggling to hear the calls in close games. 

8 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

And hopefully not have the smallest capacity in the league anymore. Between that and hopefully taking advantage of architectural designs (overhands, noise reflective materials that angle back to the field, rounded dome top potentially, etc) ID be excited at the prospective designs. 

I'd like to see opposing QBs struggling to hear the calls in close games. 

I’ve been to probably 40 games at Soldier Field, but none ever NEARLY as loud as the Cardinals stadium in its inaugural season when they had the roof closed (I had season tix there then when I still lived in AZ). Big 3rd downs on defense were crazy loud, like can’t hear the guy right next to you loud. I want THAT. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

This would make for a Merry Christmas.

20 minute train ride for me.  Can’t wait.  Dont have to worry about parking.  

Just went to soldier field and it took over two hours to get into stadium from about 40 miles away by car.   Awesome seats, first section on 45 and still not easy to see players.  

That was my last trip ever to Soldier Field. I will only return for museums. 

I’ll just go to Arlington sometimes to tailgate or go to a local restaurant and watch with fellow Bears fans.  Going to be awesome.  

Arlington was done deal from minute they announced it.  

44 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

20 minute train ride for me.  Can’t wait.  Dont have to worry about parking.  

Just went to soldier field and it took over two hours to get into stadium from about 40 miles away by car.   Awesome seats, first section on 45 and still not easy to see players.  

That was my last trip ever to Soldier Field. I will only return for museums. 

I’ll just go to Arlington sometimes to tailgate or go to a local restaurant and watch with fellow Bears fans.  Going to be awesome.  

Arlington was done deal from minute they announced it.  

Both will be about the same distance/time from me. Parking at Soldier without a pass ahead of time is nearly impossible. I took my kids to the Mitch preseason game last year and had to park on the opposite side of the harbor after getting directed all over the place. Coming into the city from 55 it took over an hour to actually park once I had reached McCormack Place, and then it was still a 20 minute walk. I’ll never drive to another game at Soldier again (the train is a far better option for me). The parking in Arlington can’t possibly be worse. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

Both will be about the same distance/time from me. Parking at Soldier without a pass ahead of time is nearly impossible. I took my kids to the Mitch preseason game last year and had to park on the opposite side of the harbor after getting directed all over the place. Coming into the city from 55 it took over an hour to actually park once I had reached McCormack Place, and then it was still a 20 minute walk. I’ll never drive to another game at Soldier again (the train is a far better option for me). The parking in Arlington can’t possibly be worse. 

Disney can get 80k people parked and inside the Magic Kingdom in about 15 minutes.

It took us about an hour from Lakeshore with a parking pass to get into a 1/8 full stadium on Family Day.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Disney can get 80k people parked and inside the Magic Kingdom in about 15 minutes.

It took us about an hour from Lakeshore with a parking pass to get into a 1/8 full stadium on Family Day.

I’ve been to Arlington as it is now when it’s full and it took like 2 minutes to park. That’s only 35k capacity, but when you consider both that the parking area will be expanded and that the arrival of a crowd for a football game will take place over several hours because of tailgating and other pregame festivities (especially at first because people will want to take time to check out the new stadium) it should still be WAY more efficient than it is for Soldier Field.

Seeing that the eventual move to Arlington seems like a given at this point, I’m curious what will happen to Soldier Field. Any stadium type concerts will almost certainly want to go to the new venue too. The Bears will certainly push for that as a revenue generator for themselves. I can’t imagine the city will just let it sit vacant there, so does it get demolished and turned into something else? It’s a prime location for pretty much anything other than a sports stadium. 

Edited by AZBearsFan
  • Like 2

It's been funny watching people get their panties in a bunch and arguing that the Bears don't have the worst roster. The counter has been "we don't have the worst".......which is true and also subjective.  But it still isn't good no matter how you look at it. 

Arguing that we only have the 5th worst roster as opposed to the absolute worst is like arguing who is the best Bears QB of all time.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

It's been funny watching people get their panties in a bunch and arguing that the Bears don't have the worst roster. The counter has been "we don't have the worst".......which is true and also subjective.  But it still isn't good no matter how you look at it. 

Arguing that we only have the 5th worst roster as opposed to the absolute worst is like arguing who is the best Bears QB of all time.

I think even saying bottom 5 is laughable.  Please list the 27 rosters better than the Bears and how they are better.  The reality is the Bears roster is middle of the pack, as the league is designed for.  You can list the rosters definitively better than the Bears on one hand, if you actually dive into it.  Because there are only a handful of rosters definitively better than the middle of the pack.  The bad roster trope is so overdone at this point.  No they are not a top of the league roster, bit they aren't at the bottom either.  What people really mean when they talk about the roster is, they're aren't any WRs who are fantasy superstars.  I don't know anything about the guys playing on the OL and it was bad last year.  They lost Mack and Hicks so their DL must be terrible.  Actually dive into it, beyond PFF rankings (not you JAF as IK you aren't a PFF guy) and you'll find, oh the gap I thought that was there may not be what I thought it was, or maybe the gap isn't even there.  

Watching a clip of Bruce Arians this morning on first take.  When asked which young QBs today have a chance to become all time greats.  His response "Patrick is well on his way, Justin Herbert, Josh Allen, and then you have some really young guys like JUSTIN FIELDS."  

Notice no Trevor Lawrence, no Trey Lance, no Tua.  He put some respect on Justin's name.  Knew I liked that man for a reason.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

I think even saying bottom 5 is laughable.  Please list the 27 rosters better than the Bears and how they are better.  The reality is the Bears roster is middle of the pack, as the league is designed for.  You can list the rosters definitively better than the Bears on one hand, if you actually dive into it.  Because there are only a handful of rosters definitively better than the middle of the pack.  The bad roster trope is so overdone at this point.  No they are not a top of the league roster, bit they aren't at the bottom either.  What people really mean when they talk about the roster is, they're aren't any WRs who are fantasy superstars.  I don't know anything about the guys playing on the OL and it was bad last year.  They lost Mack and Hicks so their DL must be terrible.  Actually dive into it, beyond PFF rankings (not you JAF as IK you aren't a PFF guy) and you'll find, oh the gap I thought that was there may not be what I thought it was, or maybe the gap isn't even there.  

The point is, a bad roster is a bad roster. Regardless of whether you think it's the worst or bottom 9.

I have dug into it Supe, and compared to the rest of the league it's not pretty.

Now I'm sure there is going to be some guys who may surprise everyone that nobody is expecting but there may also be some guys who play well below expectations as well.  It happens every year.