Training Camp 2022: Luh-trowb or Lay-trowb?

Dcash4

12 hours ago, jebrick said:

Lolly has reported that it "appears" that Jaylen Warren has supplanted Benny Snell as the Steelers' No. 2 🤞

He'll have an 8 yard carry in the next game, Tomlin will yell "Benny Snell Football!", then he'll finish with 16 yards on the night and be right back in the driver's seat for the #2 spot. We can't get rid of him. 

• Like 1

never been so excited to see a steelers team that will probably go 8-9. ready to bring on this new era. I think the ceiling of this young core can be high in the long run..they already have a DPOY level player part of the group

Edited by August4th

3 hours ago, jebrick said:

I have them pegged at 6 wins but I hope they surprise me.

Eh...this team always manages to get around .500....and its not like we are devoid of talent.    6 wins is certainly possible...but Tomlin teams overachieve when we get overlooked and underachieve when we get hyped.   

We are in a tough division, but I see at least 2 or 3 wins there.  I see 5 or 6 more wins with the rest of the schedule.

7 to 9 wins seems to be the most likely, but 6 to 10 wins would probably the widest range, barring injury or certain players being much better (or worse) than expected.

34 minutes ago, 43M said:

Eh...this team always manages to get around .500....and its not like we are devoid of talent.    6 wins is certainly possible...but Tomlin teams overachieve when we get overlooked and underachieve when we get hyped.   

We are in a tough division, but I see at least 2 or 3 wins there.  I see 5 or 6 more wins with the rest of the schedule.

7 to 9 wins seems to be the most likely, but 6 to 10 wins would probably the widest range, barring injury or certain players being much better (or worse) than expected.

Couldn’t have said it better. Compared to last year:

- Better QB play/opened up playbook

- improved o-line, even if only marginal

- additions of Pickens, Austin, Gunner on offense plus more growth from Najee, Claypool, DJ, ‘Muth

- improved defense with Jack, Ogunjobi, Leal, Wallace, return of Tyson

Key Losses: Haden - replaced with Wallace/Weatherspoon, JuJu -upgraded to Pickens (so far), Big Ben - upgraded to Mitch/KP

43 you make a great point, we always overachieve when we are counted out or no one expects it. Call me a homer but I think we’re making the playoffs and with some decent injury luck could win the AFC North.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Start the man 

Meh...as I said before, Im not for or against him starting immediately.    However, I do see much clearer POTENTIAL downsides to starting him immediately, especially if things get rocky early on.

Unless he is looking clearly better than Trubisky, Id roll with Mitch early on.     If they choose Pickett,  they better be prepared to start him all season, even if he is terrible all year.

7 minutes ago, 43M said:

Meh...as I said before, Im not for or against him starting immediately.    However, I do see much clearer POTENTIAL downsides to starting him immediately, especially if things get rocky early on.

Unless he is looking clearly better than Trubisky, Id roll with Mitch early on.     If they choose Pickett,  they better be prepared to start him all season, even if he is terrible all year.

To be honest I’m still in the same boat. I think we are in a good situation regardless but I think starting Mitch week 1 is still the right move. I feel equally confident in both at this point and as you said there is more downside to starting Kenny week 1 than Mitch.

Edited by bigben07MVP
  • Like 2

Can I just ask what we hope for Kenny to gain by sitting? It’s the part I don’t get. There’s multiple things a player could gain by not playing, but what Kenny needs is experience and there is only one way to get that — live reps. 

If he isn’t the week one starter, his development goes on pause because teams don’t give backup QBs reps with such limited practice time in season (unless you have Big Ben). So what do you hope he gains? 

The QB position is just so different. There’s no opportunity to share in-season and there is only so much you can take away from sitting when you come from a pro-style game and don’t have major mechanical flaws. 

10 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Can I just ask what we hope for Kenny to gain by sitting? It’s the part I don’t get. There’s multiple things a player could gain by not playing, but what Kenny needs is experience and there is only one way to get that — live reps. 

If he isn’t the week one starter, his development goes on pause because teams don’t give backup QBs reps with such limited practice time in season (unless you have Big Ben). So what do you hope he gains? 

The QB position is just so different. There’s no opportunity to share in-season and there is only so much you can take away from sitting when you come from a pro-style game and don’t have major mechanical flaws. 

We have major question marks on our o-line. You make good points about starting Pickett, but Mitch needs to be starting. Mitch is going to give us the best chance to win because he is a vet. He knows how to prepare as a starter in the NFL. If you start Pickett and get stinks, or gets blasted to death behind our porous line, we’ve probably destroyed his confidence which ends young QBs. You noted Pickett doesn’t have any mechanical issues, so he’s probably physically ready to be the starter but he can learn how NFL defenses play while standing on the sideline. Sitting him doesn’t mean he’s just going to sit there and do nothing. 

Basically I see it like this. You’re not going to hurt him by sitting him. You very well might hurt him by starting him behind our line at the beginning of the year. Either physically or mentally. Give Mitch 6-8 games. Or if he plays super well, the whole season. There’s not much to be gained, and potentially a whole lot to be lost by starting Pickett week 1. 

• Like 3