Training Camp 2022: Luh-trowb or Lay-trowb?

Dcash4

Dotson should be the starter, no brainer. I get the sense that he is not a favorite of the coaches, for whatever reason. And the health issues...

I don't see the team giving up on Moore at this stage, they like Haeg. Moore is a guy suited to a ground-first offense. He shines in the run game. They will hope that when they have Najee and the real bullets are flying, that they can protect him enough. 

Daniels needs to pull his head out of his ***. He's a veteran. If he isn't on board with what the OL coach wants, ignore him and do what has worked for him in the past. They aren't benching him.

cole has been...ok. Fine. 

chuks and Moore should probably switch sides, but again...team won't do that.

5 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

Dotson should be the starter, no brainer. I get the sense that he is not a favorite of the coaches, for whatever reason. And the health issues...

I don't see the team giving up on Moore at this stage, they like Haeg. Moore is a guy suited to a ground-first offense. He shines in the run game. They will hope that when they have Najee and the real bullets are flying, that they can protect him enough. 

Daniels needs to pull his head out of his ***. He's a veteran. If he isn't on board with what the OL coach wants, ignore him and do what has worked for him in the past. They aren't benching him.

cole has been...ok. Fine. 

chuks and Moore should probably switch sides, but again...team won't do that.

My biggest gripe is they didn’t bring in anyone to challenge these guys. Every single guy on the line was just handed a starting job outside of Dotson. After having an abysmal run game the last two seasons and knowing you’re ushering in a new era of QBs, that’s pretty inexcusable. Now they are caught with their pants down with 2 weeks until the season and no decent OL remaining on the market. Not to mention, we’ve had good injury luck up to this point. What exactly is the plan if one of these guys go down at this point? No one on the 2nd team is inspiring at all.

Isiah Wynn would be nice, but he has had trouble staying on the field, would require giving up yet another draft pick, and you’d be working with minimal time to get him up to speed.

https://steelersdepot.com/2022/08/watch-explaining-why-the-steelers-offensive-line-is-struggling/

Didn't get a chance to watch the whole thing yet, but sharing for everyone since this is the biggest topic we have right now I think. 

Kozora: "The overall conclusion I am at right now is that Pittsburgh is just uncomfortable trying some of the new techniques"

I think this is really important for Daniels. I have no faith in Green or Moore as talents and I don't trust Dotson to be on the field, but I expect Daniel to get sorted out at least. 

Really wouldn't surprise me if the starting OLine plays into the 4th of this final pre-season game because they need reps. 

Watching Alex Kazoras OLine break down was pretty telling in regards to these guys trying to adjust to Pat Meyers techniques.  So maybe there is hope that its more of a learning curve issue and it really is something they can work out.

I havent gotten to see the 2nd game other than alex's tape , not sure i really want to.

I had mentioned from game 1  the odd attempts by Kendrick Green to take on the pass pro at the LOS and not give ground at all (ie Rodney Hudson). I had never seen him do that in college. It is a very noticable technique /trait. 

Also I dont quite recall everything about James Daniels in college but I dont recall him blocking the way he has been on pass pro. I had mentioned the machine like hands and never really getting one strong punch as well as his feet continually moving rather than really making any attempt to set up. I dont think either of those were things i saw from him at Iowa, so i was a bit surprised to see it now. I dont watch much if any tape of guys once they go to other teams in the pros. 

48 minutes ago, 43M said:

Just to clarify...Im referring to drafting him in the first place.   Couldve had an extra body somewhere else.  

You could’ve literally drafted any other position besides DE and it would’ve made more sense.

• Like 1

Wouldnt mind seeing the Steelers kick the tires on Ellis Brooks - LB - Penn State that the Packers just released. 

Hes slightly more athletic than Spillane and instinctual. Tough kid that played much of his senior year with a big cast on his arm.. Wouldnt hurt to end up with him on the PS. 

• Like 1

Looks like Genard Avery got cut today. I think we'll be looking for outside help at EDGE. Surely we can't go into the season with Tuzka and that Hamilcar guy as our depth at OLB. Especially since Highsmith hasn't been 100%. Can anyone think of anybody that's potentially out there at EDGE?

• Like 1

Was just checking in on the GB Packers thread. I asked about the PSU guys Rasheed Walker and Ellis Brooks. 

Guys said Walker buried on depth chart hoping they can stash him on PS and said Ellis Brooks was in a tough spot behind 4 good ILBs.

Walker was very disappointing his senior season and Im not a huge fan of effort questionable guys, but there is some talent and nastiness there. Maybe even value as a possible OG, he was stronger with a good punch but his movement wasnt the greatest and seemed like they struggled with assignments with all the young guys in there last year for PSU. Maybe he could be something like our old #73.  

6'6 313 33 5/8" arms  10 5/8" hands 

Edited by JustPlainNasty

35 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Looks like Genard Avery got cut today. I think we'll be looking for outside help at EDGE. Surely we can't go into the season with Tuzka and that Hamilcar guy as our depth at OLB. Especially since Highsmith hasn't been 100%. Can anyone think of anybody that's potentially out there at EDGE?

SD pontificating that Adams or someone else might go on IR to bring Avery back. More of an order of transaction thing than actually moving on from him. We’ve done this with 2-3 guys a year. 

Why did we draft Chris Oladokun in the first place?  I understand he was a 7th rounder but I would have went OT Rashard Walker from PSU or Justyn Ross from Clemson.  I guarantee they would still be on the roster.

• Like 1

I’ve always associated the early cuts to guys you clearly have no use for or people you wanna do a solid by and allow them to try to catch on before roster crunches. 

I don’t think anyone here is circling back later. And that just makes for such an odd choice of the QB draft pick since they gave him zero chance. I don’t much care he got cut, but why draft him and never actually give him a shot?