What is something that is accepted by society that you find creepy/weird?

biggie.

3 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Statistics would say you're wrong - this is the most educated, and most well-educated generation in history.

education-among-25-to-29-year-olds-2.web

If "school isn't everything", okay, well:

edattain-1.jpgThe overall trend here is we've got fewer HS grads working on farms and construction, and more of them moving into an office.

And for the record, I'm against the restrictions of voting by age in either direction.

The quality of education has absolutely dimished, as have academic standards.  So many come into the workforce without having a clue.  

I work in IT and my ex was a nurse.     We used to talk about how every year, we were (and still are) getting young people who are less and less qualified coming out of college (like, not knowing the most basic stuff) , and many have an overwhelming sense of entitlement.

Thats absolutely not to say there aren't still plenty of smart young people, but at the end of the day, even if those statistics weren't extremely misleading, kids in that age range know absolutely nothing of the real world.    My cousin just graduated high school and is probably going to end up a big shot in the medical field....very smart, but her common sense and emotional state are sorely lacking, and its clear alot of her real world "knowledge" is limited.

Im obviously not saying she shouldnt have a say, but those statistics dont prove anything, especially when common sense and understanding the real world are much more important in voting than anything you learn in school.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 43M said:

The quality of education has absolutely dimished, as have academic standards.  So many come into the workforce without having a clue.  

I work in IT and my ex was a nurse.     We used to talk about how every year, we were (and still are) getting young people who are less and less qualified coming out of college (like, not knowing the most basic stuff) , and many have an overwhelming sense of entitlement.

Thats absolutely not to say there aren't still plenty of smart young people, but at the end of the day, even if those statistics weren't extremely misleading, kids in that age range know absolutely nothing of the real world.    My cousin just graduated high school and is probably going to end up a big shot in the medical field....very smart, but her common sense and emotional state are sorely lacking, and its clear alot of her real world "knowledge" is limited.

Im obviously not saying she shouldnt have a say, but those statistics dont prove anything, especially when common sense and understanding the real world are much more important in voting than anything you learn in school.

Nah, they're plenty smart. They're smart in ways that older people don't recognize. Far and away the biggest difference is emotional intelligence.

Most often when I see people going out of their way to disparage intelligence of young people, it's a man 40+, who tend to be conservative and more on the "facts and logic" spectrum. I don't think it's a coincidence that these men tend to devalue emotional intelligence in others - they don't value it in themselves.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Statistics would say you're wrong - this is the most educated, and most well-educated generation in history.

education-among-25-to-29-year-olds-2.web

If "school isn't everything", okay, well:

edattain-1.jpgThe overall trend here is we've got fewer HS grads working on farms and construction, and more of them moving into an office.

And for the record, I'm against the restrictions of voting by age in either direction.

I should specify:

By "educated", I meant "well informed" as opposed to formalized education.

Sure, it's the most "educated".

It doesn't have the best work ethic, most common sense, or most life experience.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

So you might disagree with the takeways they have but are you really going to argue that 18 year olds today aren't more informed of the current events than the 18 year olds of even just 20 years ago?

More informed or more correct?

Fake news travels at 6x the rate that real news does (Source: The Social Dilemma, which, iMO, is the best watch I've had in a long time) and with SMART phones and social media at their fingertips and a 700+% rise in anxiety, depression, and self harm, I don't think this is the case at all.

A good portion of the kids I teach believe ANYTHING they read and don't both source or fact checking.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I don't see the difference at a practical level.

The people who elected [politician you don't like] aren't going to suddenly get smarter because [politician you don't like] retired. They're going to vote for whoever the successor is.

All this does is transfer power from the representatives in stable districts to the staffers who handle everything behind the scenes.

The reality is that those at the federal representative level only have to pacify their local geographic voting base. It's the beauty and absolute dark side to all things politics. No real accountability because their constituents are the only ones that they have to appease.

7 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

It doesn't have the best work ethic

This is a reflection of their emotional intelligence. They don't reduce their identity to a career.

most common sense,

As compared to what. How are we measuring common sense?

most life experience.

Oh get real.

They've got access to more information in 8 seconds on google than you or I had for the first 10 years of our lives. It's not even the same universe, and it shows up everywhere.

Who has more "life experience", the generation that learned about police brutality from Chappelle's Show, or the one that sees the cell phone footage on a weekly basis? Because I could go on, and on, and on with examples like this.

The reason that this generation is over-medicated is because they're worried about the world they're standing to inherit. That is not a problem from a generation that doesn't have enough information.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Nah, they're plenty smart. They're smart in ways that older people don't recognize.

This I absolutely agree with

8 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Far and away the biggest difference is emotional intelligence.

Most often when I see people going out of their way to disparage intelligence of young people, it's a man 40+, who tend to be conservative and more on the "facts and logic" spectrum. I don't think it's a coincidence that these men tend to devalue emotional intelligence in others - they don't value it in themselves.

Emotional intelligence to a degree, yes. Emotional intelligence to a degree in a very negative way in terms of self worth, body image, and social and emotional overall health, definitely not as the unfortunate suicide statistics would indicate. Absolutely awful stuff.

14 minutes ago, 43M said:

The quality of education has absolutely dimished, as have academic standards.

This is an undeniable fact.

For example:

My district is going to a 50% minimum grade model even if you turn nothing in and you have to justify why a student fails as opposed to the other. So, it's literally more work to "fail a student" then it is to just pass them.

• Like 2

Just now, MWil23 said:

Emotional intelligence to a degree, yes. Emotional intelligence to a degree in a very negative way in terms of self worth, body image, and social and emotional overall health, definitely not as the unfortunate suicide statistics would indicate. Absolutely awful stuff.

Yeah the problem is that they're over-medicated and depressed and nihilistic as hell. They've inherited a lot of problems all at once, and they don't have the maturity/experience to fall back on as reassurance.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

This is a reflection of their emotional intelligence. They don't reduce their identity to a career.

Fair, but look at the paradox in that they DO reduce it to how many likes they have on social media.

As compared to what. How are we measuring common sense?

15 years of evaluating it as an educator and coach

Oh get real.

They've got access to more information in 8 seconds on google than you or I had for the first 10 years of our lives. It's not even the same universe, and it shows up everywhere.

Fair

Who has more "life experience", the generation that learned about police brutality from Chappelle's Show, or the one that sees the cell phone footage on a weekly basis? Because I could go on, and on, and on with examples like this.

I get what you're saying

The reason that this generation is over-medicated is because they're worried about the world they're standing to inherit. That is not a problem from a generation that doesn't have enough information.

That's not the ONLY reason. There is an undeniable increase and cause/effect between smart phones and social media becoming available on them and youth anxiety, depression, and suicide rates.

Perhaps some of it is knowledgeable future that they'll inherit, but considering "I want to be an influencer" was the #1 answer from my senior students the past 2 years on future career, I'll respectfully disagree with the universal take.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Yeah the problem is that they're over-medicated and depressed and nihilistic as hell. They've inherited a lot of problems all at once, and they don't have the maturity/experience to fall back on as reassurance.

In fairness, their parents are largely the failures, not them. They handed their kid unfiltered access to the world that we live in starting at age 10 because it's a digital baby-sitter...and here we are.

Throw in unintended consequences of filter bubbles, algorithms, and the increased separation of the two party system, and it's a hotbed.

The next 10-20 years are pivotal in this next generation.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Strongly disagree at the local levels. You have the chance to influence your schools, tax codes, roads, parks, and various other things that impact your day to day life infinitely more than federal blowhard rich people on both sides of the aisle that couldn't care less about you while actively pandering.

I prefer anarchy or direct democracy. I am tired of this system. 

3 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Perhaps some of it is knowledgeable future that they'll inherit, but considering "I want to be an influencer" was the #1 answer from my senior students the past 2 years on future career, I'll respectfully disagree with the universal take.

Being a social media influencer is a very profitable career, with a very low success rate. Its no different than the previous generations saying they wanted to start their own companies and become millionaires. Also, you're relying heavily on anecdotal evidence which will almost be entirely dependent on the district you work in. I've worked in two school districts in my educational career. One was a VERY low income district in a rural area, one is a very affluent district 35 minutes from Boston. The aspirations and career hopes of the students are very different. Environment weighs heavily on this.

Edited by Kingram
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Kingram said:

Being a social media influencer is a very profitable career, with a very low success rate. Its no different than the previous generations saying they wanted to start their own companies and become millionaires. Also, you're relying heavily on anecdotal evidence which will almost be entirely dependent on the district you work in. I've worked in two school districts in my educational career. One was a VERY low income district in a rural area, one is a very affluent district 35 minutes from Boston. The aspirations and career hopes of the students are very different. Environment weighs heavily on this.

I work in a very affluent school district and get those answers.

I also worked in a 100% free/reduced lunch district early on as well. 

Not to be dismissive, but I’ve been around the block and seen a lot, experiencing the best and worst of affluence or lack thereof.

4 hours ago, MWil23 said:

That's not the ONLY reason. There is an undeniable increase and cause/effect between smart phones and social media becoming available on them and youth anxiety, depression, and suicide rates.

4 hours ago, MWil23 said:

In fairness, their parents are largely the failures, not them. They handed their kid unfiltered access to the world that we live in starting at age 10 because it's a digital baby-sitter...and here we are.

Throw in unintended consequences of filter bubbles, algorithms, and the increased separation of the two party system, and it's a hotbed.

The next 10-20 years are pivotal in this next generation.

See I think the "I want to be an influencer" crap is a subset of nihilism. I don't excuse it; it's the thing that annoys me the most about them, but just like most early 20's dudes I grew up with who liked smoking pot and disliked paying taxes managed to grow their way out of Atlas Shrugged, I feel like they'll do the same thing with some time.

So far, the best sign of progress is that young people are less likely to get hooked on fake news/turn on algorithm machine than their older counterparts. Which means they taught themselves some degree of social media control. They'll keep getting better at it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

See I think the "I want to be an influencer" crap is a subset of nihilism. I don't excuse it; it's the thing that annoys me the most about them, but just like most early 20's dudes I grew up with who liked smoking pot and disliked paying taxes managed to grow their way out of Atlas Shrugged, I feel like they'll do the same thing with some time.

So far, the best sign of progress is that young people are less likely to get hooked on fake news/turn on algorithm machine than their older counterparts. Which means they taught themselves some degree of social media control. They'll keep getting better at it.

Again, yeah I’m strictly speaking about the odds of the all as opposed to the 58% who will graduate college from my district. Those 58% will be fine. The biggest issue I’ve seen is that the bottom drops off harder than I’ve seen before this.