What is something that is accepted by society that you find creepy/weird?

biggie.

1 hour ago, biggie. said:

"Respect your elders."

I mean, you should generally be respectful to anyone you first meet regardless of age. But if some old fart/hag disrespects me, I'm not putting up with that crap.

Yeah...you don't automatically gain respect just because you've done what most human beings naturally do. 

The fact that we should all spend 50 years of our lives working 'the grind' to make a decent living, taking up over 1/2 the time we are awake giving energy to a company we don't care about-- just to finally be able to enjoy 10-15 years of life by the time your 65, then die.

We do more working than living and I feel like we are all wasting a loooooot of our limited time we have on this planet in the name of capitalism.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

The fact that we should all spend 50 years of our lives working 'the grind' to make a decent living, taking up over 1/2 the time we are awake giving energy to a company we don't care about-- just to finally be able to enjoy 10-15 years of life by the time your 65, then die.

We do more working than living and I feel like we are all wasting a loooooot of our limited time we have on this planet in the name of capitalism.

It could be so much better but…

• Like 2

1 minute ago, D82 said:

It could be so much better but…

There are so many ways around it but unfortunately nothing will change. Retirement should be 50. You had my work/time from 16-50 years old, I want 50-85 years old to live. Even split. We all pay enough money in taxes to make it happen within the budget, but we would rather spend those tax dollars on......other things besides the lives of the people who earned it.

Im desperately trying to get out by the time Im 50-55 (33 now). Ill do anything and go on whatever business venture I have to (Ive already done 2). Walking into a cooperate office building at 60 years old to sit behind a desk for 40hrs a week is just not something I can even think about doing with my life. It aint happening, get me out.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

There are so many ways around it but unfortunately nothing will change. Retirement should be 50.

savingsrate2.jpg

Save half your money and you can retire in 18 years, assuming 5% growth and 4% withdraw rate.

https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/01/13/the-shockingly-simple-math-behind-early-retirement/

https://networthify.com/calculator/earlyretirement?income=70000&initialBalance=0&expenses=35000&annualPct=5&withdrawalRate=4

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

In my perfect world, that's me and I find a post retirement job that I can use for benefits when my mortgage is paid off. Working at a garden nursery sounds like a lot of fun for me.

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

That's assuming people can save half of their income. Given the ever-increasing prices on basic things, stagnant wages, etc....most people can't.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, D82 said:

That's assuming people can save half of their income. Given the ever-increasing prices on basic things, stagnant wages, etc....most people can't.

Which is fine, it's a parabolic curve so the most important percentage of your income that you save is the first one, and from there each additional percentage becomes less impactful.  Not everyone has to retire 18 years in. A 25% savings rate lets someone who starts working at 22 out of college retire at 55.

9 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

The secrets are own your own business and aggressively invest as early as possible.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/3/2023 at 10:26 AM, AkronsWitness said:

There are so many ways around it but unfortunately nothing will change. Retirement should be 50. You had my work/time from 16-50 years old, I want 50-85 years old to live. Even split. We all pay enough money in taxes to make it happen within the budget, but we would rather spend those tax dollars on......other things besides the lives of the people who earned it.

Im desperately trying to get out by the time Im 50-55 (33 now). Ill do anything and go on whatever business venture I have to (Ive already done 2). Walking into a cooperate office building at 60 years old to sit behind a desk for 40hrs a week is just not something I can even think about doing with my life. It aint happening, get me out.

This is pretty much why i went back to school to redirect myself toward something that i can physically do when i'm older.  It's just a reality that i'm gonna be working until i die.  But also hopefully something that i don't truly despise and might actually even want to do on some sort of basis at that point.  Something where i can maybe find interesting pursuits and challenges within it.

But the whole thing is absolutely absurd.  Literally just living to work.  So you can afford to retire and die.

I gave way too many of the prime years of my life to stupid waste of time bull**** that was way beneath what i'm productively capable of.  Real efficient system.