What is something that is accepted by society that you find creepy/weird?

biggie.

22 minutes ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

People of all ages don't change anything by voting. If voting made things better for the working class, we wouldn't be allowed to do it. 

Strongly disagree at the local levels. You have the chance to influence your schools, tax codes, roads, parks, and various other things that impact your day to day life infinitely more than federal blowhard rich people on both sides of the aisle that couldn't care less about you while actively pandering.

On 1/16/2023 at 11:04 AM, Heimdallr said:

TBH anyone over 65 shouldn't even be allowed to vote, let alone hold office. They have no stake in long-term decisions. They'll prioritize short-term ease/profit over long-term benefits every time, leaving younger generations screwed.

But I suppose (most) 18, 19 and 20 year olds who dont know jack **** about anything and vote largely out of ignorance and who their favorite celebrities/sports stars like are much better off deciding things, right?

I 100% believe there should be term/age limits for serving, but Im less concerned about the age of people voting as I am the actual KNOWLEDGE of people voting.   Its absolutely laughable to act like most high school or college students who have never spent a second living in the real world yet are better equipped to make those decisions than a 65 year old.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, 43M said:

But I suppose (most) 18, 19 and 20 year olds who dont know jack **** about anything and vote largely out of ignorance and who their favorite celebrities/sports stars like are much better off deciding things, right?

I 100% believe there should be term/age limits for serving, but Im less concerned about the age of people voting as I am the actual KNOWLEDGE of people voting.   Its absolutely laughable to act like most high school or college students who have never spent a second living in the real world yet are better equipped to make those decisions than a 65 year old.

Well said on all of it. I believe in age/term limits for pretty much all politicians. Age limits for voting seems a bit hypocritical on the "ageism" front.

While "with age comes wisdom" is certainly not always the case, neither is young people being equipped to make those decisions with the same logic either.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all in on the 26th Amendment, all in on age limits for politicians, term limits for politicians, etc., but selective application of voting is anti-American IMO.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, 43M said:

We have regular elections, why do we need term limits if we have opportunities to remove someone? Every single person that's in favor of term limits only wants them because a representative that they don't like from another part of the country keeps getting elected. It's always some other rep that's the problem, never their own. It's more likely you really have a problem with the entire electoral process, and financing, but that's a much more difficult discussion to have.

I agree with age limits though, anyone over 65 shouldn't be eligible. Anyone that reaches the age of 65 should be ineligible for re-election. I'd also argue that today's youth are far more knowledgeable and more informed than any previous generation's youth, and definitely have a far greater stake in the decisions politicians make than anyone past retirement age. 

Edited by skywindO2

On 1/9/2023 at 3:06 AM, -Hope- said:

edmunds collated some data on this in the US:

75% of truck owners use their truck for towing once a year or less

70% of truck owners go offroad once a year or less

35% of truck owners USE THE DAMN BED once a year or less lol

whole lotta folks out there could be driving something cheaper and more efficient + renting a truck on the incredibly rare occasions they need one. it’s a glorified status symbol

This male nurse that works at the hospital I works at has a massive truck that he drives 3 miles to an from work....which is absolutely horrible for trucks.

I know numerous people who worked at Norfolk Southern (which is extremely unstable employment these days) who went a bought big trucks and were paying over $1200 a month on payments/insurance/gas, and then a year later got laid off and were kinda screwed.

Then I see alot of older guys who cant park them and have alot of trouble getting in and out driving trucks.

Point being, most people who have trucks...shouldn't.    

Unless you have a ton of money to blow (and even then I think its kind of a waste) or your truck helps pay for itself in some way (construction, maintenance, etc...), trucks are definitely not worth their obnoxiously high prices.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

We have regular elections, why do we need term limits if we have opportunities to remove someone? Every single person that's in favor of term limits only wants them because a representative that they don't like from another part of the country keeps getting elected. It's always some other rep that's the problem, never their own. It's more likely you really have a problem with the entire electoral process, and financing, but that's a much more difficult discussion to have.

The spirit of term limits is to keep the "public servant" heart of the intent of the framers and founding fathers, or the fact that Congress can exempt themselves from things that they pass, which is absolutely corrupt. 

I agree with age limits though, anyone over 65 should be eligible. Anyone that reaches the age of 65 should be ineligible for re-election.

I'd be fine with this and compromise on a "Congress shouldn't be able to exempt themselves from anything that they pass" caveat.

I'd also argue that today's youth are far more knowledgeable and more informed than any previous generation's youth,

Teacher here. I'm thankful our 18 year olds can vote...but this isn't accurate IMO.

and definitely have a far greater stake in the decisions politicians make than anyone past retirement age. 

I agree with this, which is one of the many reasons I'm pro 26th Amendment, especially in light of the Golf of Tonkin Resolution and drafting of 18 year olds who were sent off to die by LBJ and couldn't vote him out of office.

I'd say that 65+ should be able to have a say in those who have legally stolen from their social security benefits the last 20+ years as well though. 

2 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

At the end of the day, that doesn't even really matter because certain areas vote certain ways no matter what.   So even if one person reaches their term limit, someone very similar to them is going to get voted in anyway.

Im for term limits for individual seats, but if someone does say....8 years as governor, 12 years in Senate,  4 years in House, 4 years as President....or something like that, so be it.    I just think its horribly unwise to have someone in the same seat for 20+ years.

I'd also argue that today's youth are far more knowledgeable and more informed than any previous generation's youth

Spider Man Lol GIF

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:
18 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

I'd also argue that today's youth are far more knowledgeable and more informed than any previous generation's youth,

Teacher here. I'm thankful our 18 year olds can vote...but this isn't accurate IMO.

Statistics would say you're wrong - this is the most educated, and most well-educated generation in history.

education-among-25-to-29-year-olds-2.web

If "school isn't everything", okay, well:

edattain-1.jpgThe overall trend here is we've got fewer HS grads working on farms and construction, and more of them moving into an office.

And for the record, I'm against the restrictions of voting by age in either direction.

• Like 1

The idea of asking people why they don't want to have children or wont have them. Like why are you digging into a very person part of their life?

1. Maybe they cant

2. They are expensive

3. It turns your whole life upside down

Why do you want to pressure someone into something they dont want? I have 2, I wanted them and still do but its so cringe that people feel pressure to have them

Also doing that just makes people into deadbeat parents and puts excess stress on a relationship

Edited by JaguarCrazy2832
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, 43M said:

At the end of the day, that doesn't even really matter because certain areas vote certain ways no matter what.   So even if one person reaches their term limit, someone very similar to them is going to get voted in anyway.

This is the cold reality of it.

When people are saying "people over 65 shouldn't vote", what they mean is, "I'm collectively disappointed in the views of 65+ year old Americans".

Edited by ramssuperbowl99

5 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

This is the cold reality of it.

When people are saying "people over 65 shouldn't vote", what they mean is, "I'm collectively disappointed in the views of 65+ year old Americans".

To be clear, I was talking only about age limits on elected officials. While I am disappointed in the voting habits of 65+ year old Americans, I still think they should have the right to vote. 

18 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

18 minutes ago, 43M said:

Spider Man Lol GIF

So you might disagree with the takeways they have but are you really going to argue that 18 year olds today aren't more informed of the current events than the 18 year olds of even just 20 years ago?

40 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm all in on the 26th Amendment, all in on age limits for politicians, term limits for politicians, etc., but selective application of voting is anti-American IMO.

I would say more generally it's anti-democratic.

The analogy I would draw is a crowd at a concert where each individual singer can be off pitch, but the overall crowd is on key.

There's value in having older people who vote on short term and younger people who vote on long term. Similarly, there's value in having old cynics who are good at understanding downstream consequences and young idealists who will vote on principles.

If the lead singer said, "okay everyone who is flat doesn't sing", the crowd isn't going to be on key, it's going to be sharp. Same thing here.

To be clear, I was talking only about age limits on elected officials. While I am disappointed in the voting habits of 65+ year old Americans, I still think they should have the right to vote. 

I don't see the difference at a practical level.

The people who elected [politician you don't like] aren't going to suddenly get smarter because [politician you don't like] retired. They're going to vote for whoever the successor is.

All this does is transfer power from the representatives in stable districts to the staffers who handle everything behind the scenes.