What is something that is accepted by society that you find creepy/weird?

biggie.

10 hours ago, Shady Slim said:

yeah like dont get me wrong, for people who can find use for them absolutely a+

but here, i think a solid 90% of people who own dodge rams have never driven on a non sealed road in their lives lol

LOL

It was a big deal in 2020 when I got my driveway paved with asphalt instead of the gravel. The road I live on is "kinda" paved.

I still drive my 2010 Ford Focus. It gets me 32-36 miles to the gallon. I'm going to drive it until it dies. I'm probably like 5-10 years away from my "truck" years unfortunately. I could use it to haul things like my tiller for my garden (brother and other family members use it), lumber for woodworking, and other DIY landscaping project. I do a LOT of work with river rock.

Towing occasional tools I rent like a gravel tamper/Tomahawk or pavers would be nice too.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, -Hope- said:

edmunds collated some data on this in the US:

75% of truck owners use their truck for towing once a year or less

70% of truck owners go offroad once a year or less

35% of truck owners USE THE DAMN BED once a year or less lol

whole lotta folks out there could be driving something cheaper and more efficient + renting a truck on the incredibly rare occasions they need one. it’s a glorified status symbol

I have a truck I use as a truck. And one I daily drive, kid hauler. F150 4 door.

Main thing for me is seating position, ride height/quality, 360 view, and durability. Cars are horrid nowadays. Stiff sport suspension for vehicles that never meet the required speeds to actually make them useful on a car. Overcramped cockpits, knees at chest level instead of a more upright position, and looking up at everyone around, unable to see anything else. Just getting in and out is a chore. I have to climb down and into a car, truck I slide right in and go.

Then the safety. I would not feel comfortable hauling the kids around in a car with our deer population. 15-17 miles to school. Every day theres a new deer on side of the road. One day last week I saw 2 about 6 feet from each other in the medium. Each from a different accident.

Now Im in a super rural region. And it does make a huge difference. But theres no status symbol to it. Its simply best fit for me and what I trust to put my family in. The wife liked my F150 a whole lot more than her Lincoln SUV when it came to hauling the kids. Also got better mpg. But she would NEVER get a truck. Cause, "status symbol".

6 hours ago, -Hope- said:

edmunds collated some data on this in the US:

75% of truck owners use their truck for towing once a year or less

70% of truck owners go offroad once a year or less

35% of truck owners USE THE DAMN BED once a year or less lol

whole lotta folks out there could be driving something cheaper and more efficient + renting a truck on the incredibly rare occasions they need one. it’s a glorified status symbol

Pricing on trucks is outrageously predatory too.

Per google, a new F-150 base model is MSRP'd at ~$32k, but the as shown models are going to run you more like $50k bare minimum and $70k more realistically by the time you're all the way done.

Compare that to a Honda Accord, which is MSRP'd at ~$26k, but even a top of the line model isn't going to run you more than $40k.

And this doesn't include maintenance costs/fuel/insurance, all of which are going to be so, so much higher.

A lot of lower class people get relentlessly up sold what may as well be an upper tier sports car and stay poor for way longer than they need to as a result.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Pricing on trucks is outrageously predatory too.

Per google, a new F-150 base model is MSRP'd at ~$32k, but the as shown models are going to run you more like $50k bare minimum and $70k more realistically by the time you're all the way done.

Compare that to a Honda Accord, which is MSRP'd at ~$26k, but even a top of the line model isn't going to run you more than $40k.

And this doesn't include maintenance costs/fuel/insurance, all of which are going to be so, so much higher.

A lot of lower class people get relentlessly up sold what may as well be an upper tier sports car and stay poor for way longer than they need to as a result.

I sold my 2016 F150 for 4k less than I bought it for. My new cost 2k more than the 2016 did. Getting about a 6mpg improvement.

Ive yet to see a car hold the value. But I am lined up for the electric F150. And the value will hold strong on my current in ensuring that. Which was a huge factor in why I upgraded in years before the electrics arrival.

My work truck will undergo the change to electric this year with a Ford MachE upgrade.

40 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

I sold my 2016 F150 for 4k less than I bought it for. My new cost 2k more than the 2016 did. Getting about a 6mpg improvement.

Because the used truck market is insane, because the vast majority of truck consumers straight up can't afford what they're being sold even when it's financed over more and more time.

47 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Because the used truck market is insane, because the vast majority of truck consumers straight up can't afford what they're being sold even when it's financed over more and more time.

Not disagreeing one bit. See it every day.

I like it from my standpoint though. Im rolling into the Electric market at a minimum cost off my original investment into F150s over a decade ago. So when this one pays for 90% of my next. 70% of that 90% was paid for 10 years ago. The years inbetween then and now fills up that other 20%.

19 hours ago, D82 said:

Letting a bunch of old dudes get lifelong positions and decide the laws that govern the rest of us. 

TBH anyone over 65 shouldn't even be allowed to vote, let alone hold office. They have no stake in long-term decisions. They'll prioritize short-term ease/profit over long-term benefits every time, leaving younger generations screwed.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

TBH anyone over 65 shouldn't even be allowed to vote, let alone hold office. They have no stake in long-term decisions. They'll prioritize short-term ease/profit over long-term benefits every time, leaving younger generations screwed.

Excuse me? Rather discriminatory there, wouldn't you say?

That an older person has no concern for future generations. Tsk, tsk....

35 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Excuse me? Rather discriminatory there, wouldn't you say?

That an older person has no concern for future generations. Tsk, tsk....

Leave everything in the hands of those of the age range that have such a problem knowing, "And The Biological Father Is!" that TV shows like Maury are dedicated to the topic.

And Im talkin bout me... *glances over at "League of Nations" lineup of own kids.*

• Like 1

On 1/16/2023 at 11:04 AM, Heimdallr said:

People of all ages don't change anything by voting. If voting made things better for the working class, we wouldn't be allowed to do it. 

Edited by 7DnBrnc53