The Last Of Us - HBO ***No Game Spoilers***

Broncofan

51 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

If that was all we get for UEC than this show has successfully ruined two of the best chapters in the game.  Less than 10 minutes of show time, a joke. Didn't really see any reason to not at least have some scenes at the dam either as it's a big part of the game, and not week looks to be another completely fabricated origin story that isn't needed.

Still enjoying the show, but more than anything it's making me realize how epic the game is and that I need to pick up the sticks and play through it again.

This episode was kind of a dud to me.

Spoiler

Completely fabricated? Pretty sure it's straight from the dlc

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Yes they were both fantastic.   Even though there was very little action until the end - the character development was just so great.  

A few awesome touches that differed from the game: 

Reveal hidden contents

1.  Doing this chapter in Jackson itself rather than the dam compound will make S2 really work.   The attention to detail to make it exactly like in Ep2 was just perfect.   

2.  I’m pretty sure that was young  Dina staring at Ellie.  Great Easter egg.

3.  Having the diaphragm was an awesome add lol.   That & the haircut scene were terrific.   It added so much depth to the relationship between Maria & Ellie yet revealed the pain Joel still hides.  

4.  The expanded Tommie / Joel scene was awesome as well.   Joel’s new monologue on his weaknesses / fears was awesome.    The panic attacks / dreams addition IMO did a better job of showing his fear prior to him asking Tommy to take Ellie than the VG. 

5.  As I mentioned that  rifle scene was a perfect moment for Joel & Ellie. 

6.  The opener was a nice contrast that not everyone who meets Joel/Ellie has to die lol.   Graham Greene & the actress were terrific. 

LOU2 spoiler…

Reveal hidden contents

7.  Adding in Ep2 continuity with Joel talking about raising sheep on a farm and Ellie wanting to be Sally Ride - oh man, the feels when those 2 mentions get paid off later…

The payoff moment was the Joel-Ellie scene.    I prefer the VG setup but gotta say they nailed it out of the park.  

Spoiler

1. I thought the town definitely resembled Game 2's town as well. I think you're definitely right here.

2. Good call if that was Dina!! That never crossed my mind but it would make sense. Will be interesting if we get a formal introduction prior to this season ending assuming they make it back to Jackson prior the finale. 

6. This is a good call as well to those who have said everyone has to die. We knew that wasn't the case but up until now, I have no problems w/ people feeling that way b/c it's pretty much been the truth lol.

7.  Definitely makes me wonder if people will remember those conversations when we get to that point of Game 2 assuming they don't change that part. I wouldn't think they were going to since they've been talking about it multiple times this episode.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

It's interesting to read the dual realities of folks comparing the HBO presentation to the video game. I'm glad that I never played the game and can simply evaluate the series on it's own merits. 

I've told my wife she's lucky from that perspective. You don't know what they didn't include and that's great b/c for people like me, they've omitted literally my top two favorite moments of the game from the TV show and it's disappointing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

My biggest gripe so far is how little of these infected there have been. They've only popped up in like half the episodes. Seems like the threat has been overstated with how easy it is to avoid them.

I agree w/ this as well but they prepped game players by saying this would be more about the story than it would be fighting the infected which is a huge part of the game. I wish they would sprinkle more in from time to time as I would like to see more.

Edited by BobbyPhil1781

48 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

My biggest gripe so far is how little of these infected there have been. They've only popped up in like half the episodes. Seems like the threat has been overstated with how easy it is to avoid them.

To be fair, if you go by the show’s rules, there shouldn’t be as much infected in the open. Maybe you could have had something

Spoiler

at the end with the university. But I guess raiders made sense also in that scenario given that we just had a horde of infected in the previous episode.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Xenos said:

To be fair, if you go by the show’s rules, there shouldn’t be as much infected in the open. Maybe you could have had something

Reveal hidden contents

at the end with the university. But I guess raiders made sense also in that scenario given that we just had a horde of infected in the previous episode.

I guess. IIRC we've basically only seen them once in the last four episodes though, and the episode we did was easily the best of the four.

1 hour ago, Xenos said:

Hide contents

This is one of the trade offs of 1 season for Ep1.    2 seasons for Ep1 no doubt we get a lot more combat.    But they’ve followed the TV logic - non urban areas there’s very little threat.   I have to give credit where it’s due the TV logic has been impeccable. 

It does mean as they get to the next chapters we should see more infected.   But to set up the series S1 really needs to cover the story and character development.    So far it’s been an A+ job there.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bullet Club said:

I guess. IIRC we've basically only seen them once in the last four episodes though, and the episode we did was easily the best of the four.

We’ve seen them in 4 out of the six episodes. And they’ve been a viable threat in 3 of the six (pilot, ep 2, and ep 5). I guess I appreciate that the show breaks it up and doesn’t rely on them so much. Maybe they went too top heavy with the first two episodes but I think that made sense storytelling wise.

Edited by Xenos
  • Like 1