Tyron Smith suffers severe hamstring injury which could cost him multiple months

TheRealMcCoy

6 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Can't say I've ever heard of an injury like an avulsion fracture.  That sounds terrible.  I know Rap said December but I'd be shocked if he wasn't done for the year.  Seems like a distant memory from when that DAL OL was dominant.

I could've sworn this was the same injury Becton went down with.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

I could've sworn this was the same injury Becton went down with.

It was actually.  Didn't hear that term until I looked it up.  I just heard knee cap but yes you are correct.  Didn't put them together because of the hamstring tear part of it.

This is awful news for Smith, for 2 reasons:

1.  He's a lot older than Becton.   The likelihood of complete recovery gets worse the further you are in your career.

2.  This is a pattern of injuries on the same side - right knee, right ankle (x2), and now right groin.  That's not a coincidence.   There's some biomechanical vulnerability there that isn't going away.

Stellar career - but there's a good chance he's done being even a top 10 guy...and career-ender is definitely in the range of outcomes.    Tough break to say the least.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

If this is it for Tyron, what kind of Hall of Fame chances does he have?  Have injuries just ruined his chances, or does he have enough on the resume regardless?  5 years ago, I thought he would look like a lock, at this point.

I think he still has a very good shot at it, even if this is it.

3 hours ago, TVScout said:

They have tried but nothing is guaranteed. I remember there was a some controversy back in 2011 when he was picked.

Tried? I thought you all drafted Tyler Smith this year? I know he was currently filling in at LG (Tyron obvious Starter) but still?

Is he not switching over to LT? If not, that draft pick is even more confusing. 

3 minutes ago, JohnChimpo said:

Why is he on the market? Curious what his value is.

Wynn’s on his 5th year option, about $10.4M, and NE is tight to the cap. He’s had issues staying healthy (stayed healthy last year though). He’s a solid, but not spectacular player thus far in his career. Big Trent got switched back over to the left side, moving Wynn to the right, and he didn’t seem happy or look overly successful on the right in very limited action. Wynn’s good, but you don’t want him being your best linemen. You’re just gambling on his health a little bit. He’s also scheme versatile and can probably play guard in a pinch. 

It’s just a perfect storm of sorts, Bill isn’t going to pay him starting tackle money, even with a strong season. So might as well cash out now. Either Cajuste/Herron, or Onwenu will probably fill in there on the right. 

• Like 2