Update: Alex Leatherwood waived

RaidersAreOne

What would you do?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

• Try to find a trade partner, if nothing works then release him. Time to cut our loses.
    • Keep him and start him, and just hope he improves with playing time.
    • Keep him but purely as a backup. He hasn't earned a starting spot yet.

9 hours ago, FloydFan said:

31 other teams wouldn’t even flip a conditional 7th for him speaks volumes. 

And only 1, the Bears put in a claim. 30 teams didn't see him as an upgrade on their Oline depth.

4 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

We could have still signed our own players and made some sound value added FA signings.

That is literally what they did. Signed core guys, Crosby, Renfrow and Waller potentially. Added value FA's like Nichols, Averret, Harmon, Cole, Hollins, Robinson, Phillips. etc. Created a lot of competition for camp and kept who rose up. 

Let the Adams situation play out or the Packers lessen their price by round or by getting picks next year.  Maybe Adams is a FA next year and we would have plenty to sign him.

You act like all the other teams were just going to patiently wait around for Adams. He'd have been traded elsewhere, that's pretty mush assured. 

At the same time he has given us very little wiggle room to make the team better in the next couple years. 

Don't fault the new regime for Gruden/Mayock's poor management. They have to clean up ridiculous contract messes given to guys like Drake, Kwiatkoski, Littleton, Nassib. As well as all their failed first round picks.

Carr is in his prime, you have to give him a chance. Coaching is VASTLY improved on paper and that will show up. You can't fix it all in 1 offseason. They drafted Parham, Farrell and Butler in the trenches. 

I agree, they maybe should have shored up the Oline better, but I'm willing to see what the vision is there. McDaniel's is a smart guy and he's got solid coaches around him. Let's give it a chance. 

• Like 10

8 hours ago, Styrian Raider said:

According to Sanjit Leatherwood wants to play on the left side, and he wants to be a left tackle, but the coaches see him as a Guard.

Maybe that’s why he looked totally uninterested in preseason. I wonder if we ask guys if they’d be open to switching positions before we draft them? 

he was still mid-late 2nd Rn prospect imo

Edited by NCOUGHMAN
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, big_palooka said:

And only 1, the Bears put in a claim. 30 teams didn't see him as an upgrade on their Oline depth.

That is literally what they did. Signed core guys, Crosby, Renfrow and Waller potentially. Added value FA's like Nichols, Averret, Harmon, Cole, Hollins, Robinson, Phillips. etc. Created a lot of competition for camp and kept who rose up. 

You act like all the other teams were just going to patiently wait around for Adams. He'd have been traded elsewhere, that's pretty mush assured. 

Don't fault the new regime for Gruden/Mayock's poor management. They have to clean up ridiculous contract messes given to guys like Drake, Kwiatkoski, Littleton, Nassib. As well as all their failed first round picks.

Carr is in his prime, you have to give him a chance. Coaching is VASTLY improved on paper and that will show up. You can't fix it all in 1 offseason. They drafted Parham, Farrell and Butler in the trenches. 

I agree, they maybe should have shored up the Oline better, but I'm willing to see what the vision is there. McDaniel's is a smart guy and he's got solid coaches around him. Let's give it a chance. 

Ziegler understood draft value and took 2 swings at IDL knowing what a need it is. How many draft picks have we invested there recently? I loved the averett signing especially. I thought he was very underrated last year.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, big_palooka said:

1) Only one team saw him as an upgrade at that price.  Granted it is not a huge amount so maybe you are right.

2) The trade for Adams, Chandler Jones, and Carr's extension.

3) I could be completely wrong here but this is how I would have played it.  In negotiations you always have to be able to walk away from the table.  Adams was not going to play for another team.  All we had to do was show interest so Adam's knew he was wanted but be public that the Packers are asking for to much.  If you wait until after the draft you can still give a 2024 1st and it is valued at a 2023 2nd.  Example is you trade your 2nd round pick in 2022 for a 2023 1st round pick (this is how it plays out all the time) and after the draft go back to the table with the Packers.  Now Adams cost a lot less.  If he signs his tag then you go after him next year and keep all your picks.

4) I agree that Gruden left a huge mess and it was going to suck.  $63 million in dead cap combined.  The problem is they went all in right away.  We do not know how players are going to do in the new system or how other players would have done that we got rid of.  I blame Gruden for most of the cap mess but we had all these core players under contract for 2022.  We could have seen how they played under the new system and the payed they accordingly before FA began in 2023.  We would have had plenty to sign everyone.  Crosby is the only one I understand signing this year.

5) I have been giving Carr a chance for years.  He still has the physical abilities but his problems are in between his ears.  They always have been.  Better coaching can help but he is still not going to create very much on his own.  Carr has improved and is a good QB but I do not see him as being good enough.  To add to his issues the one thing he needs the most is the biggest question mark on the team.

Overall I agree McDaniels has done better than Gruden but that is a low bar.  My issue is a lack of patience and letting it build naturally.  If we shored up the o-line and then got signed Adams I would be much happier about the offseason.  I just do not see the value in a WR who is reliant on the QB, who relies on the o-line, and you did not fix the o-line.

10 hours ago, Styrian Raider said:

According to Sanjit Leatherwood wants to play on the left side, and he wants to be a left tackle, but the coaches see him as a Guard.

1000% Sanjit is making this up. That dude is a hack. How he has an audience is crazy to me. He doesn't know football and is a total homer about every player on the team. Has no ability to look objectively at anything.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Justin Fields has nightmares of that already 

I think you see a much better player on the left side.  I am baffled that they would not even allow him to try.  Instead of having Parker go at LT against Jax we should have looked at Leatherwood.

3 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

I think you see a much better player on the left side.  I am baffled that they would not even allow him to try.  Instead of having Parker go at LT against Jax we should have looked at Leatherwood.

I'd be genuinely surprised. 

Mentally, he's just not a quality NFL player. He doesn't have "it", to me. 

He's too jumpy, too prone to costly penalties, not the strongest, not a very good pass blocker. 

I think of he played on the left side, the mental strain of blocking a QBs blind side would absolutely crush any hope he has left of a career. 

Nothing personal, mind you. I feel for the guy. But I think it's clear as day he doesn't handle high expectations well and a move to the left side just would've probably made it worse, in Las Vegas at least. 

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

I'd be genuinely surprised. 

Mentally, he's just not a quality NFL player. He doesn't have "it", to me. 

He's too jumpy, too prone to costly penalties, not the strongest, not a very good pass blocker. 

I think of he played on the left side, the mental strain of blocking a QBs blind side would absolutely crush any hope he has left of a career. 

Nothing personal, mind you. I feel for the guy. But I think it's clear as day he doesn't handle high expectations well and a move to the left side just would've probably made it worse, in Las Vegas at least. 

You may be right.  We just have to wait and see.  I am upset that we did not give him a shot before we decided to let him go and took the chance of paying out his entire contract.  The Bears decided to alleviate some of my anger by picking him up off waivers.  I agree he is not the strongest or aggressive.  He is good at getting to his spot and sealing of the defender by out positioning them.  For that you can not think about what you are doing.  Your opponents are to big and fast.  This also leads to more penalties by itself.  If you put him where he feels comfortable he has a shot.  I think the starter in Chicago is a 5th round rookie so he has a shot at taking over the starting spot if he is good enough.

The things I am saying in this post are the same things I criticized Cable and Gruden for when they drafted him.  They set him up for failure.  He still might not make it but we did him no favors last year.

8 hours ago, big_palooka said:

1000% Sanjit is making this up. That dude is a hack. How he has an audience is crazy to me. He doesn't know football and is a total homer about every player on the team. Has no ability to look objectively at anything.

As much as I would like this to be true I agree about Sanjit.  If there was major breaking Raiders news and he was the only one with the story I would wait until gameday to find out.  I have tried to watch his stuff and just can not.

10 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Regardless if Sanjit knows really some guys in the building or that he was talking with some players:

It would make sense all in all to me.
Leatherwood got only worse as the pre-season was going on. In his last plays you actually see that he's given (himself) up.
And I think that it could be, that the coaching stuff said to him, that they see him as a guard rather than a tackle.
(Doesn't mean that they would have started him)
If that would be okay with him, then he would be still in our team.

Now that the bears claimed him we will see how it turns out. For now it seems that he will get another shot at RT.
Is Teven Jenkins injured or was he just don't good enough for the bears?

(I picked Jenkins in a few mock drafts, seems like I'm not good at picking Linemen - at least with Moehrig I had better luck lol)

6 hours ago, Styrian Raider said:

Regardless if Sanjit knows really some guys in the building or that he was talking with some players:

It would make sense all in all to me.
Leatherwood got only worse as the pre-season was going on. In his last plays you actually see that he's given (himself) up.
And I think that it could be, that the coaching stuff said to him, that they see him as a guard rather than a tackle.
(Doesn't mean that they would have started him)
If that would be okay with him, then he would be still in our team.

Now that the bears claimed him we will see how it turns out. For now it seems that he will get another shot at RT.
Is Teven Jenkins injured or was he just don't good enough for the bears?

(I picked Jenkins in a few mock drafts, seems like I'm not good at picking Linemen - at least with Moehrig I had better luck lol)

Jenkins was moved to and is the Bears starting RG. 

• Like 1