Update: Alex Leatherwood waived

RaidersAreOne

What would you do?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

• Try to find a trade partner, if nothing works then release him. Time to cut our loses.
    • Keep him and start him, and just hope he improves with playing time.
    • Keep him but purely as a backup. He hasn't earned a starting spot yet.

2 hours ago, S&B Bleeder said:

I thought it was more than that?

My understanding is we still get the hit for any contract money already paid like the signing bonus.  The Bears are now on the how for any remaining guaranteed money that has not been paid like the base salary.  He was owed around $1.9 in signing bonus per year and close to $2 per year in base salary.  When we cut him the $6 million in remaining signing bonus accelerated to dead money this year but was real cash already paid.  The other $6 million now comes off our dead money and the Bears are responsible for it.  Saves us $6 million in cap and real cash. 

I wonder if the Bears tried to swap Jenkins for Leatherwood.

Edited by drfrey13

On 8/30/2022 at 5:19 PM, drfrey13 said:

This is an issue that he would need to work on but even with that he was not the worst lineman we had out there when account for talent also.

He was an All-American on the left and we cut him after one year of playing really bad on the right.  A lot of players take more than one year to develop.  If it was one and done most players would not stick around very long.  My problem is not that I think he should have been given a roster spot or stayed on the right side.  It is that he was never given a shot to even attempt to play the position he played at an All-American level fortwo years in college.  Even if he is only a back up level LT his contract was already paid for and we need a back up LT.  Now if they thought he was just not capable of playing the position I understand but how do you make that judgement based up him never lining up on the left in the NFL game or practice and his top level tape from college.  I think has more to do with McDaniels trying to set a tone for the players.  Also why Mullen was traded for nothing.  He was making an example.  Now if he did this because he felt the players where not taking it seriously or thought they had an assured spot then go ahead.  But if he was just looking for someone to make an example out of the I do not agree.

Considering he was picked up off waivers we get a nice 5.9 mill break. I was upset about the Mullen trade but I don’t care what Leatherwood was doing in college. He was not good with the chances he was given and that 31 other teams wouldn’t even flip a conditional 7th for him speaks volumes. 

25 minutes ago, FloydFan said:

Considering he was picked up off waivers we get a nice 5.9 mill break. I was upset about the Mullen trade but I don’t care what Leatherwood was doing in college. He was not good with the chances he was given and that 31 other teams wouldn’t even flip a conditional 7th for him speaks volumes. 

The pick was not so much the issue as cutting a player who has more potential or even ability than the worst linemen that is going to make the team when you have 1) Not even attempted to see how he plays on his natural side and 2) was guaranteed his whole contract.  Now Chi picking him up helps out a lot but also shows that maybe other teams know how McDaniels shows his hand.  No coach is perfect but I did not want to see weaknesses this soon.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

The pick was not so much the issue as cutting a player who has more potential or even ability than the worst linemen that is going to make the team when you have 1) Not even attempted to see how he plays on his natural side and 2) was guaranteed his whole contract.  Now Chi picking him up helps out a lot but also shows that maybe other teams know how McDaniels shows his hand.  No coach is perfect but I did not want to see weaknesses this soon.

Eh you seem a little overtly critical on McDaniels. Let him cook for now. We haven’t had a full year even and let’s see what happens. There’s a lot of promise to this team and who knows how it goes. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FloydFan said:

Eh you seem a little overtly critical on McDaniels. Let him cook for now. We haven’t had a full year even and let’s see what happens. There’s a lot of promise to this team and who knows how it goes. 

I am critical of McDaniel because I believe he is rushing into trying to make a Super Bowl contender.  At the same time he has given us very little wiggle room to make the team better in the next couple years.  This year was a perfect year to strengthen the trenches and next year was the time to make splash moves.  The middle of the defensive line is unproven and there are big questions on the offensive line.  We could have still signed our own players and made some sound value added FA signings.  Let the Adams situation play out or the Packers lessen their price by round or by getting picks next year.  Maybe Adams is a FA next year and we would have plenty to sign him.  So many reasons to take it easy this year.  We should be better this year but I do not think we will improve as much as we want and will not have much improvement in 2023.  Since we will not have much cap space next year it is almost an assured thing that our top needs next year will be on the o-line.  2024 we might have some thing to build but that will be the final year for our window and need to make decisions based upon what we want for 2025.  If it has not happened by then McDaniels might already be on the hot seat.  A lot of what ifs and maybes but just how I see things playing out without some big surprises.