2023 draft prospects and college football talk.

ripsean21

On 4/13/2023 at 7:53 AM, MikeT14 said:

1.16 - Darnell Wright, OT
2.47 - Jack Campbell, LB
3.97 - Yaya Diaby, EDGE
4.118 - Kei'Trel Clark, CB
5.139 - Andrew Vorhees, G (traded 150 + 215)
6.193 - Sean Tucker, RB

Last pick added: Jarren Hall, QB

• Like 1

17 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Because, they are legit viable options that are better than what we have that will be available to us in the draft at TE. If you think that’s the case at QB then I’m all for it. I’m tired of this franchise deciding they can skate by with what they have when there are better alternatives. And yes, Kicaid, Mayer and LaPorta are all light years better than anything we currently have on this roster. 

So you perfer TE at 16 b/c they are legit viable options better than what we have. I think this TE group is has an abundance of talent. That what I saw at the combine. There is enough depth here were you can take your TE later. The same can be almost  said about the CB and RB. Now to me If Johnson or Jones slides to 16 I am pouncing b/c this not a deep draft for OT. However we just have to see how our boys plan comes to fruition. Who knows we may have a trade bade back opportunity.

35 minutes ago, 4209 said:

So you perfer TE at 16 b/c they are legit viable options better than what we have. I think this TE group is has an abundance of talent. That what I saw at the combine. There is enough depth here were you can take your TE later. The same can be almost  said about the CB and RB. Now to me If Johnson or Jones slides to 16 I am pouncing b/c this not a deep draft for OT. However we just have to see how our boys plan comes to fruition. Who knows we may have a trade bade back opportunity.

No, not necessarily. I really like LaPorta in round 2. I'd be okay with Kincaid or Mayer in the first but my first choice at 16 is Bijan Robinson. That is my favorite now however I know its a long shot. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I’m sorry, but I have to call amnesia on this & the fact that you’ve seemed to given up on Cole Turner’s potential bc he had injuries his rookie season. He was a good TE prospect last year & a lot of beat writers thought he had a real chance to make an impact as a rookie, especially in the redzone.  Then he hurt his hamstring in camp & got a concussion so it derailed his rookie season.

Cole Turner has a tremendous catch radius at 6’6, 240 pounds & made spectacular catches for your boy Carson Strong at Nevada in 2021.

And I know it wasn’t a lot of plays, but he showed off that catch radius in the Bears Thursday night game when Wentz threw him an awful pass that was high & outside but Turner made a spectacular catch on an awful ball. It just showed what he could do.

Cole Turner’s senior year he had 67 recs, 677 yds & 10 TDs in 11 games.

The guys you’re mentioning played 12 to 14 games.

Those stats are pretty similar to the guys you are mentioning in less games, except for LaPorta, maybe it’s the Iowa offense but LaPorta only caught 1 TD last year.

I don't hate Cole Turner, I just like the TEs in this draft better. I think there's a real chance to get better at the position and it would greatly help Howell's development. 

2 hours ago, taylor made said:

I'd rather have Joey Porter, Jr. than Brian Branch but yeah I agree he's a dark horse candidate. He mostly played nickel cornerback at Alabama - just what we need.  

I like Porter alot also and if the right senario occurs I would take him. Branch alone with some others I would do a trade down.

22 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

No, not necessarily. I really like LaPorta in round 2. I'd be okay with Kincaid or Mayer in the first but my first choice at 16 is Bijan Robinson. That is my favorite now however I know its a long shot. 

I disagree but hey I respect your choice. I think all of your aforementioned names will be there at 16 but like I said we will see who will be our targets will be and what will be their draft strategy be. Somebody will drop but who knows man. We could take a QB at some point.  I mean what if all the good CB, QB, OT even one of the top TE are gone and at worst what if we can't make a trade back. There just to many possibilties at this point. That why I like to sit back and see how this draft shake out.

4 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

But are they just mocking Porter because it’s a position they feel we should upgrade and he’s their top avalible because that’s what most mocks come down too. Most aren’t factoring in staff trends and history and player preferences. Like yes Porter makes sense but Ron has never ever been apart of selecting a CB in the first round and his history shows he prefers to develop guys with traits out of non power schools and he’s continued that here. That’s not to say he won’t but I just think that’s something to seriously consider especially with EB coming in. While I would sprint a Witherspoon or Gonzalez and maybe Porter isn’t my cup of tea for my preference I believe they are going BPA and I could see them going BPA over need unless it’s a top tier OT

What if that best player avaiable be a TE, QB, DE LB or RB would you still one of them. I think we should take the best player at a position of need. Like a OL or CB.

Edited by 4209

Dalton Kincaid is favored to be the first Tight End taken at -190 according to Vegas. He probably belongs in the discussion who to take at #16 instead of Michael Mayer. His stock has skyrocketed (Along with Deonte Banks & Darnell Wright) He didn't test at the combine so he (probably) doesn't have elite athletic numbers but we don't know for sure. We know he's not big. But he has great production and looks he can catch the ball in the air. 

15 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Assuming no trade and no Bijan is Mayer still your favorite option there?

15 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I don't hate Cole Turner, I just like the TEs in this draft better. I think there's a real chance to get better at the position and it would greatly help Howell's development. 

I think this is a perfect complement to my thoughts. Turner maybe could be something but this draft is stacked with upper echelon TE talent. 

• Like 2

FM-FkpCWYAUxy0K?format=png&name=900x900

The problem with Cole Turner is he can't vertically jump. Like historically bad can't jump. He has great height and decent speed where he can theoretically still succeed but he's a fifth rounder. And the odds are against him. Yes you can name George Kittle as a successful 5th round tight end, but count them over a 20 year period since 2000. There's been 50 tight ends drafted and 11 that have been "impactful" (Tyler Conklin, Kittle, Brent Celek, CJ Uzomah, Jesse James, Nick Boyle (TE2), Luke Wilson, Gary Barnidge, Dante Rosario (TE2), Donald Lee (TE2), Robert Royal (TE2)

That's around a 22% success rate in my opinion and the number lowers to 14% if he ever puts up TE1 numbers in his career. I like Cole and he should absolutely given the chance to develop but he shouldn't be blocking anyone from being drafted as a TE1.  It's certainly better than *cough* cough* success rates of 5th round quarterbacks. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Assuming no trade and no Bijan is Mayer still your favorite option there?

Yes, absolutely. I know the value and the price for taking a TE in round 1 doesn’t really add up but I think sometimes there’s a talent that eschews that. To me, Mayer is that guy. He’s already an excellent blocker and he’s a tremendous pass catcher to go along with it.

My feelings are this, I’m not reaching for an OL just to take one. Same with corner where I think you’ll be able to get one in the second round that’s just as good as the one you’d get in the first. But I fully expect Rivera to either reach for Torrance or take Brian Branch is he’s still on the board. He’s born to play the Buffalo nickel role. 

• Like 3

I haven't been following our draft threads a whole bunch like I'd like.

I've been working OT-3rd shift. So I have no idea what many of you are wanting, or our most likely projection on positions.

But I think I want us to trade down like last year.

I think adding additional day 2 picks, will go along ways in not just adding good depth, but possible starters.

We hit big on Jahan Dotson from a trade down, so I'm hoping we do it again.

So count me in on us going from pick #16, to the low-mid 20's & landing a very good player.

No idea who will be there at those spots. But I'm sure we land a pretty good player there, if we we've scouted well.