2023 draft prospects and college football talk.

ripsean21

“Smith embodies the terms jack-of-all-trades or Swiss-army knife. Smith aligns all over the Bulldogs’ defense. This is a result of matchup dependency. Smith is seen as the free safety, in the box, and the nickel/slot position. He is one of the more instinctive defenders in college football. His football IQ and leadership are easy to identify as he communicates and helps teammates get aligned. Smith has impressive ball skills to combine with his high IQ. Versus Clemson last year and Oregon this season, he read the same pass concepts before jumping those passes for interceptions. 

You can spot which players are students of the game and detailed in their process. For example, versus LSU in the SEC Championship Game, Smith showcased the IQ and awareness on the blocked field goal to scoop the ball and return it for a touchdown. He also broke on passes and forced an interception in that game as well. His experience playing cornerback shows up when assigned to play in the nickel spot from depth. He understands coverage techniques and how to eliminate the receiver’s leverage, forcing them to his help. His hip transitions display fluidity to turn and run with his assignment. 

As a tackler, he will trigger downhill and deliver big hits to ball carriers and receiving targets. He has the hit power to dislodge the football from the offensive player. His range to trigger from playing up high is impressive. He covers ground in the run game to cut off lanes for the ball carrier.

Smith brings leadership, toughness, versatility, and playmaking to a defense. He projects as a free safety/nickel hybrid defensive back. His positional versatility allows him to be on the field with two other safeties if necessary. Smith provides three-down value and the potential to become an impact starter after a season or two.”

If this team goes CB in the first round, they are absolute fools. Not that their isn't talent on the front end of the CB class, but that is definitely not their biggest need. 

Drafting a CB first pretty much signifies they aren't going to address the OLine problems. Plenty of talented CBs can be found later in this draft. There is a dramatic drop-off in O-Line talent after the 2nd round. 

11 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

If this team goes CB in the first round, they are absolute fools. Not that their isn't talent on the front end of the CB class, but that is definitely not their biggest need. 

Drafting a CB first pretty much signifies they aren't going to address the OLine problems. Plenty of talented CBs can be found later in this draft. There is a dramatic drop-off in O-Line talent after the 2nd round. 

Free agency could determine what we do in round 1. If we sign an upgrade at G & RT then I doubt we go OL round 1. Like I could see us signing Mike McGlinchey to be our starting RT & then with Cosmi sliding down to RG, will they still have say Cyrus Torrence in round 1 or take CB or BPA in position of need?

I could do either way at that point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Free agency could determine what we do in round 1. If we sign an upgrade at G & RT then I doubt we go OL round 1. Like I could see us signing Mike McGlinchey to be our starting RT & then with Cosmi sliding down to RG, will they still have say Cyrus Torrence in round 1 or take CB or BPA in position of need?

I could do either way at that point.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 FA Period. What a joke!

Edited by ARTMONK HOF

I want to def bolster the OL. But in round one I do think Gonzalez or Witherspoon both I have a blue chip grade on would be the best players IMO. I’d be happy with either but I’d love to get a Cody Mauch ot Torrence but I wouldn’t skip a more talented player for that need but I’d also have probably two OL FA additions and still be prioritizing OL round 2

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IHatesnyder said:

Ron said the main 2 focus on the combine are OL/ DBs so I fully expect that to be the main focus . I guess tight end can be filled in free agency? 

They did not cut Logan Thomas, they like Logan Thomas, Logan Thomas is our starting TE & we have 4 young guys developing behind him. I will die on this hill. 😂