2023 draft prospects and college football talk.

ripsean21

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

We don’t need to create more cap space after cutting Wentz in order to improve our OL w/ a FA or 2. We’ll have $34.5 mil in cap space after cutting Wentz. And, that’s before the cap goes up this offseason which could be as much as $20 million more. So, we could end up with $50-55 mil in cap space after just cutting Wentz.

I think it’s make more sense to restructure a player or more (Fuller, Leno, Logan, Samuel, Roullier, Allen?) - rather than outright cut them to open up some cap space should we need it - rather than to cut guys & create more holes on our team.

As Lavar said, it doesn’t make sense to create a whole like trading your weapons away like Samuel when you’re starting a first year QB most likely. There’s no reason to take one our strengths - our top 3 WRs - and make that a weakness.

???? The cap is set. We’re not getting to $50 just from cutting Wentz????

• Like 1

On 2/17/2023 at 11:22 PM, ARTMONK HOF said:

I know it’s a highlight video. Good video.  I think he might be available at our 3rd rd pick (comp).

I like it. I’ve been watching him too. I do think 3rd round comp or 4th round pick that he’d be a good pick to develop behind Holcomb & Jamin.

9 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Just looked at more clips of CBs. I noticed @lavar703 mentioned Gonzalez. I like him a lot at #16. But will he fall that far?

I think we miss out on the top OTs and will have to go OL in the 2nd and 3rd rounds quite possibly. That leaves CB or TE in the first.

So Gonzalez at #16 is who I'd like to see

We’ve spent 6 of our last 7 first rounders on offense, and the one was Haskins.  I think it’s time to help the offense out with a premium pick.

7 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

We’ve spent 6 of our last 7 first rounders on offense, and the one was Haskins.  I think it’s time to help the offense out with a premium pick.

Huh?

What about Jahan Dotson? He was an offensive player too last year.

I do think we need to go offense again, really OL. 

We also can’t forget that while we haven’t drafted offensive players high as much lately that we have hit on some free agents on that side of the ball & Gibby was a hit as a RB/WR weapon in the 3rd round.

29 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Why do I feel like our best move would be to trade down (or out) in the 1st and obtain as many 30-50 overall picks as we can. I feel like the lineman talent is pretty good in the top 50. If we can end up with two, that would be ideal. 

I wouldn't mind bumping from like 17 to 22ish, but I am scared I will miss out on the handful of guys I want in that area. I only want to do it though if Gonzalez and Henderson are off the board. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I wouldn't mind bumping from like 17 to 22ish, but I am scared I will miss out on the handful of guys I want in that area. I only want to do it though if Gonzalez and Henderson are off the board. 

I've seen a lot of places mocking us a CB in the first. I'm a little confused if the thought is BPA or if people think that CB is our top need. To me CB is like #5 on the team needs. I would trade completely out of the 1st rather than draft a CB. 

I think we have to come away with one (or more) of the top guards or centers. Trading down and getting Steve Avila and John Michael Schmitz would be an ideal scenario for me. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I've seen a lot of places mocking us a CB in the first. I'm a little confused if the thought is BPA or if people think that CB is our top need. To me CB is like #5 on the team needs. I would trade completely out of the 1st rather than draft a CB. 

I think we have to come away with one (or more) of the top guards or centers. Trading down and getting Steve Avila and John Michael Schmitz would be an ideal scenario for me. 

But you're also assuming these guys will be available at that point. OL usually end up going much higher than where they're mocked. 

17 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

But you're also assuming these guys will be available at that point. OL usually end up going much higher than where they're mocked. 

Which is why I want to trade down to be able to acquire them. 

Something like:

Seattle gets: #16, #47

Washington gets: #20, #37 and #121

That gives us a pretty good chance at the top Olineman. 

4 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

Trading out of the first means you don’t have the 5th year option to use on a player that most likely will become a good starter for you if you’re taking them in round 1. That’s the main reason I wouldn’t trade out of the 1st round, losing that flexibility with a contract is a big deal.

Personally, I don’t think we have a good enough 3rd corner/nickel guy. We need to get a 3rd guy with some top talent to go along with Juice & Fuller, especially in todays pass happy NFL. You really need to have 4 CBs you can trust to put out their most games. Right now, we don’t have that.

Fixing the OL is definitely the top need, but if a CB is the best player available when we pick in round 1, it makes sense to get that guy & then come back in round 2 and take an RT prospect or a C/G prospect and then do the same with our 3rd round comp pick or 4th round pick while making one of those a LB to develop behind Holcomb & Jamin.

3 hours ago, Scott Land said:

I think someone to keep an eye on if he falls to the later rounds, is Tanner Mckee from Stanford. They ran a ton of RPO and he has to be fairly intelligent since he went to Stanford. He doesn't have a huge arm but he is 6'6" 230. 

I agree, I’m not sure where I’d take him yet though. Seems to me like he’s probably a mid round pick. I have to imagine we’re going to sign a veteran to back up Howell, help mentor him, whether that Heinicke or someone else.

The question then becomes do you spend a 3rd round pick on another QB? I’m kind of feeling like you don’t at that point.

• Like 1