Jimmy G is staying

John232

1 hour ago, John232 said:

yeah, Middlekauf was saying Silver is widely known as one of the most connected dudes in the league. 

These Haberman and Middlekauf pods are rough. Really agreeing that Shanny is more focused on winning now then getting Lance snaps and developing and that it could lead to a real short leash. 

I agree that Shanny job, especially after last year, is not in danger of Lance busts, but mortgaging the future on  QB who immediately busts out must result in heads rolling, it’s unconscionable. 

Middlekauf in particular is pretty adamant of what an indictment this is on Trey. He's not painting it as sunshine and roses. 

If Shanny couldn't handle potentially punting a season (not even really punting it - but maybe just being mediocre and sneaking into the playoffs) then I cant believe how badly that they misfired on their Lance evaluation. It's so bad. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean Silver was the one that reported the arm fatigue issue with Lance that others like Maiocco also heard which proved to be true...kind of lol. 

There may not be as many leaks but some coaches will still open up when reached out by reporters. 

You have it backwards. 

Maiocco reported it, then 5 months later, Mike Silver sensationalized it and reposted it, and it became a national story 

Same thing with the "Jimmy Ghost" story. Local guys reported it, then many months later Mike Silver sensationalized it, reposted it, and it became a national story

I am not falling for it a third time. I'm not happy this bum is covering our team. This fanbase gets riled up very easily. 

I hope this forum stays around forever. It's the only rational place for 49er football on the internet. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, N4L said:

You have it backwards. 

Maiocco reported it, then 5 months later, Mike Silver sensationalized it and reposted it, and it became a national story 

Same thing with the "Jimmy Ghost" story. Local guys reported it, then many months later Mike Silver sensationalized it, reposted it, and it became a national story

I am not falling for it a third time. I'm not happy this bum is covering our team. This fanbase gets riled up very easily. 

I hope this forum stays around forever. It's the only rational place for 49er football on the internet. 

I never said Silver was first on the report. Maiocco made reference implying something along those lines of arm fatigue but Silver stamped it and made it known to the public. 

Silver IS respected around the league. Is he wrong at times? Sure, but that can be said about anyone. Even if you don't have to agree with all his opinions or even his reporting, there is SOMETHING there.

That being said, Lance is going to be the guy and even if he struggles, a move will not be made unless he is injured and his play is being compromised. The offense will still be fine even if Shanny takes it a little easy early on. The run game is going to be filthy. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Silver IS respected around the league. Is he wrong at times? Sure, but that can be said about anyone. Even if you don't have to agree with all his opinions or even his reporting, there is SOMETHING there.

I am not disputing this, I am merely saying there have been two instances where he basically re-reported what someone else had said previously, with fancy new verbiage, and it turned into a huge story. 

I am just not going to take his reports as gospel. He was reliable 15 years ago, but, as we see with Maiocco, things change. 

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

Lol so we are paying him 13. Cool

honestly closer to what i was expecting. still ok with the move.

On middlekaufs point though, it is a big assumption to think that shanny is not ok with less than stellar play. Everything i’ve read and seen from reporters, and to some extent the FO, theyre aware there is going to be growing pains. but i agree with H&M that shanny feels like the kind of guy to pivot if wins aren’t comi and would be impatient with lance if it’s not happening. and to your ooint, if that’s the move, then  you throughly misplayed the draft and his development.

im and H&M agreed, as do, that i think this jimmy G thing is ultimately just a very good value on a backup QB. who is probably a top 20-top 16 QB. no one passes that up. 

But there is no denying that pressure is on Lance, more so now. 

3 minutes ago, John232 said:

honestly closer to what i was expecting. still ok with the move

We should get it back, keep in mind, but it hits the cap this year because it's likely to be earned from previous years (he's hit them before) . My original post was misleading because we aren't paying him that, but it's like a hold on the funds / cap space so we can't use it this year. So it will basically be rebated next year when accounting is done 

3 hours ago, N4L said:

"We've done it before" 

Hmmmmnnnmmmmmmm 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/04/21/jimmy-garoppolo-on-strange-year-of-2021-i-dont-know-if-id-wish-that-on-anybody/

"It was a strange year,” Garoppolo said. “I don’t know if I’d wish that on anybody.”

Is this supposed to be a "gotcha" moment mate? :)

Him and Trey could still be tight while not wishing both were in that situation. Regardless, he never once stomped his feet or pulled a Carson Wentz. And he decided to come back. Jimmy isn't a bad guy, and won't be a problem. Not sure what the rub is here. He's human too. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

Guess the 15 player committee? 

Fred Warner

Trent Williams

George Kittle

Deebo Samuel

Jimmie Ward

Arik Armstead

Nick Bosa 

Juice

Trey Lance (?)

Mike McGlinchey

I'm struggling to come up with the other five. The leadership committee does not need to consist of the top 15 players, though often times I'm guessing most teams will have the best players included. But after those 10, who are the other five? Maybe Robbie Gould? Brunskill? Greenlaw? 

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Guess the 15 player committee? 

Fred Warner

Trent Williams

George Kittle

Deebo Samuel

Jimmie Ward

Arik Armstead

Nick Bosa 

Juice

Trey Lance (?)

Mike McGlinchey

I'm struggling to come up with the other five. The leadership committee does not need to consist of the top 15 players, though often times I'm guessing most teams will have the best players included. But after those 10, who are the other five? Maybe Robbie Gould? Brunskill? Greenlaw? 

I'm really hoping one of them was Spencer Burford 

• Like 1