Jimmy G is staying

John232

So who do we keep as the 3rd QB?

This team is f'n hilarious lol. Trey is going to have so much more pressure but at the very least, we will have a great back up ha.

Why didn't Jimmy attend the team meetings and practice? Even if he was going to be traded, it seems like this was always an option.

• Like 1

What I wrote last week. 

“If Jimmy G is gonna take back up money somewhere, why not take a pay cut to stay in a system you know with a questionable QB, and that questionable QB has only slid once in his entire career so as good a chance as any that he gets hurt. Give the man 10 mil to be a back up. I understand there’s feelings and pride and all, but it does make sense. Locker room will be fine too. They’ve handled this great now and that comes because Lance and Jimmy are both quality people anyway.”

I know it says no trade clause also, but if the right trade came up after a starter gets hurt somewhere, they could still make it happen. 

Comp pick rules confuse the hell out of me.  Next year we should be able to get a decent comp pick for him, right? 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, GW21 said:

I'm not mad at it. 1 year 7M for the best backup QB in the league. we still save almost 20M that we can roll over. 

I guess.. but when we are 2-4 and Lance has a 3 int game, will the locker room be divided then? I know the fan base will be... 

Edited by adamq
  • Like 4

Confused Little Girl GIF

what are we doing?! I get it, we AT LEAST saved some money, but wow! Hopefully someone spoke to Trey. This doesn’t sit well with me. Ppl mentioned that the locker room was already split last year, hopefully it doesn’t happen this year. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 9erFreak77 said:

Will this make it easier to trade him? Is that the ultimate plan?

No trade clause. Wouldn’t be shocked if we tag him at the end of the yr to try and trade lol….ugh 

Sorry we can’t tag him either.

Edited by StevenK

8 minutes ago, straighthate said:

Comp pick rules confuse the hell out of me.  Next year we should be able to get a decent comp pick for him, right? 

Basically, you are eligible to receive a comp pick if you lose more players to FA than you sign. So, if we have 5 FAs, and we sign 5 FAs, then we get no comp picks. If we lose 5 and sign 4, then you are eligible to receive one comp pick.

A player's value in the formula is determined by the contract they sign and their playing time in year 1 of the deal. So, we would get a comp pick in the 2024 draft for Jimmy, but only if we lose more FAs than we sign next year.

So, it could absolutely hamstring us next FA if they get too focused on getting a comp pick back. 

My main question about keeping Jimmy - does this divide the locker room? I am not ready for the drama if we lose a few games early. 

• Like 1