Should a safety be worth more than two points?

Dome

Should a safety be worth more than two points?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the compensation for tackling a team in their own endzone?

• 2 points and a possession seems fair.
    • More than 2 points but less than 6 and an extra possession seems fair.
    • A full 6 points and they should get the extra possession.
    • 6 points, but they shouldn't get an extra posession as well.

4 hours ago, everlong said:

Debated about this with a buddy of mine before. As mentioned before, the fact you're getting the ball back along with the 2 points is more than adequate. A safety has the potential of costing a team up to 10 points. So no, leave the current rule as is.

When you consider that an offense could score 8 points, but instead they take a safety and the other team scores 2, followed by a possibility of the other team's offense then scoring 8 points, a safety has the potential to be an 18 point swing.

Regardless, most safeties I can remember are really just centers messing up on shotgun plays, so I really don't think we need to make the largest potential point swing in the game become even larger all on the mistake of one guy.

It’s actually a good question. I guess it depends on probabilities. 

A safety should be worth more than a field goal and at least be worth the value of a TD. So the big question is what is the average number of points per drive. According to football outsider the best offenses in the NFL get about 2.5 points per drive. Average offenses get about 2 points per drive. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestatsoff2017

So...if you wanted to make a safety AT LEAST worth a TD...it should be worth 5 points and not 2. 

Make it worth 4 points and the team chooses to kicks off or punt, who knows maybe the punter is better than the kicker.  More immediate value for a safety but reduced the overall potential value some based field position, which would mean that it's more likely to result in a FG or punt due to the extended distance to drive, the value of a safety should be closer to a TD overall, Safety and FG, than it currently is.

3 minutes ago, kramxel said:

A 2 pointer and a possession, is already a pretty hefty return for a glorified sack...

A glorified sack? A sack is a glorified tackle, a safety is extremely rare, and takes either a massive individual effort to get there whilst the offense are at peak alert, or clever scheming to get a guy unmarked into the backfield quickly. I'm fine with it staying at 2, but I do think it's more impressive than anything other than a TD.

2 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

A glorified sack? A sack is a glorified tackle, a safety is extremely rare, and takes either a massive individual effort to get there whilst the offense are at peak alert, or clever scheming to get a guy unmarked into the backfield quickly. I'm fine with it staying at 2, but I do think it's more impressive than anything other than a TD.

I don't have the stats to back it up, but I'd guess the majority of safeties come from botched snaps, rather than "massive individual effort".

14 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I mean, it’s harder, but it’s a lot more luck than anything else IMO. 

Archived