2023 NFL Draft Prospects

Madmike90

42 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

The more i think about it, i can see the Texans grabbing a vet qb in trade or FA (i.e., Jimmy, Carr, Mac Jones) taking Anderson/Carter at 2, and then maaaaaybe taking someone like Richardson at 12 or just waiting until 2024 to get their QBOTF.  I don’t think it’s totally out of the realm of possibility that the bears trade to 4 and still miss out on Anderson/Carter.

Itll be interesting to see how this QB market develops in the next couple weeks.

To your Texans point, why would Jimmy G or especially Carr want to sign there when they’ll almost surely have better options elsewhere? NYJ, TEN, NO and maybe TB all seem like better options for both to be able to have immediate team success, and after each is coming off of a large contract already it may not be all about finding absolute top dollar over fit. 

Also, if we did trade down with IND and then Anderson and Carter go 2/3, our chances of a 2nd lucrative trade down go WAY up. I’d love either on our roster, but a second trade down to 7 or 9 and additional draft capital would probably be better for our long term outlook anyway.

I’m just ready for FA to get here already so we can start to get some answers. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

To your Texans point, why would Jimmy G or especially Carr want to sign there when they’ll almost surely have better options elsewhere? NYJ, TEN, NO and maybe TB all seem like better options for both to be able to have immediate team success, and after each is coming off of a large contract already it may not be all about finding absolute top dollar over fit. 

Also, if we did trade down with IND and then Anderson and Carter go 2/3, our chances of a 2nd lucrative trade down go WAY up. I’d love either on our roster, but a second trade down to 7 or 9 and additional draft capital would probably be better for our long term outlook anyway.

I’m just ready for FA to get here already so we can start to get some answers. 

I think despite all the recent drama, Houston has made some major steps to rehabbing their image.  Almost to the point of…dare i say…stability?  I haven’t heard a single negative thing about Demeco Ryans, and him being on a 6 year contract should show players that he’s here to stay (at least for more than one year lol).  Ridding themselves of Watson and getting a bunch of draft picks from the Browns puts them in a great position to rebuild their team.  Also firing easterby, that guy was just weird.

As for the QBs i mentioned, those were just the first few that came to my mind, two of which have have the Pats connection with Caserio there.  Carr may not want to go there given how his brothers tenure there was.  Any available vet QB could essentially fit the bill of what im envisioning.  For example, if TEN does move on from Tannehill, he would fit that bill too.

EDIT:  yeah im not at all against a double trade down at the expense of A/C.  Would make draft weekend way more exciting, this year and next, and could fill so many more holes since the bears have a lot of them.

10 hours ago, CBears019 said:

what a scumbag.  What do we hear about next?  He was late for practice once because he helped a stranded motorist change a flat tire?  He broke someone’s ribs while performing cpr on them after they went into cardiac arrest in front of him at the toys for tots donation line?  Take him off the big board!

Carter didn’t even want the guy to know he was picking up the tab for his meals…what a monster! 🙄😂

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CBears019 said:

I think despite all the recent drama, Houston has made some major steps to rehabbing their image.  Almost to the point of…dare i say…stability?  I haven’t heard a single negative thing about Demeco Ryans, and him being on a 6 year contract should show players that he’s here to stay (at least for more than one year lol).  Ridding themselves of Watson and getting a bunch of draft picks from the Browns puts them in a great position to rebuild their team.  Also firing easterby, that guy was just weird.

I agree with all of this. My point (poorly articulated) was more that either vet signing in HOU runs the very real risk of being nothing more than a 2023 placeholder, and that I think Carr and Garoppolo both may find situations that aren’t like that for themselves elsewhere. I had forgotten all about the Carr family connection for HOU, but agree that might also dissuade him from considering them. 

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Carter didn’t even want the guy to know he was picking up the tab for his meals…what a monster! 🙄😂

Let me preface this by saying I LOVE Jalen Carter. He's been #1 on my board with a bullet for a long time

Just because someone does some nice things, doesnt mean they arent a pain in the *** to deal with, or immature, or even a jerk to others (or have been in the past) and it works vice versa as well.

If you are taking this new meal story hook line and sinker, you are doing the exact thing that you are mad at McShay for doing. Its all being reported with an agenda.

I will say this, Carter being a bit of a diva and rubbing people in the locker room the wrong way was absolutely something out there as far back as last season. Maybe he has matured, maybe it was just a small group that felt this way. But paying for one guys meals, while a nice selfless gesture, is not like he solved world hunger either.

Its all just stuff that teams have to investigate and vet themselves. We personally dont have the resources to do those things, and I can promise you when you hear the likes of McShay say it on TV, it has been given to him by multiple people at that point. Pretending he just woke up one day and thought "I dont like Jalen Carter, Im going to go out on National TV and smear him for no reason" it the most ludacris thing in all of this. 

Personally, from what Ive heard, I think last season Carter was a bit immature, maybe a bit of a Diva, and just isnt an extremely vocal person (like alot of that Georgia Defense is). Those things often get filed under the large general umbrella of "Character Concerns". I have heard he was much different this year as alot of those Lineman graduated to the NFL, and he was looked upon as more of a leader. Not that he is suddenly Ed Reed, but I dont believe there is anything to worry about

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CBears019 said:

The more i think about it, i can see the Texans grabbing a vet qb in trade or FA (i.e., Jimmy, Carr, Mac Jones) taking Anderson/Carter at 2, and then maaaaaybe taking someone like Richardson at 12 or just waiting until 2024 to get their QBOTF.  I don’t think it’s totally out of the realm of possibility that the bears trade to 4 and still miss out on Anderson/Carter.

Itll be interesting to see how this QB market develops in the next couple weeks.

The more I look at the top prospects, Im not all that convinced that Anderson is on the Elite Level of prospect that Carter is. He is more of a Stand-up Rusher, hes always going to be on the light side of a rusher, and while he is fundamentally sound, that in itself makes me question his long term projected potential. 

I think Tyree Wilson is much closer to Anderson than we initially projected, and honestly the Gap between Anderson/Wilson is going to be closer than the gap between Carter/Anderson (some are already projecting Wilson to go before Anderson, especially based on team fit) 

So in the end, to me, its going to come down to, is Jalen Carter the absolute cant miss, must have prospect in this draft. Or are we fine with passing on him to collect the Draft Capital and find another good/very good prospect wherever we land

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

think Tyree Wilson is much closer to Anderson than we initially projected, and honestly the Gap between Anderson/Wilson is going to be closer than the gap between Carter/Anderson (some are already projecting Wilson to go before Anderson, especially based on team fit) 

I’ve been saying it for a while. The question marks with Anderson are more worrisome than the question marks taking Wilson a little later. Wilson looks to be a better pure pass rusher, with better mechanics and moves. Anderson is undersized, shown struggles against tackles, and while he’s got elite speed as a pass rusher, it’s kinda all he has. A lot of his film is his blowing up plays when he’s not even accounted for. In Chicago, he will draw doubles most of the time unless we overhaul the entire line. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

I’ve been saying it for a while. The question marks with Anderson are more worrisome than the question marks taking Wilson a little later. Wilson looks to be a better pure pass rusher, with better mechanics and moves. Anderson is undersized, shown struggles against tackles, and while he’s got elite speed as a pass rusher, it’s kinda all he has. A lot of his film is his blowing up plays when he’s not even accounted for. In Chicago, he will draw doubles most of the time unless we overhaul the entire line. 

Agree with most of this, But Im saying that some might even end up with Wilson ahead of Anderson on actual boards.

Was it Daniel Jerimiah who just mocked Wilson over Anderson? I think he didnt do any trades, had us take Carter at 1 and then the Cards take Wilson at 3

23 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Agree with most of this, But Im saying that some might even end up with Wilson ahead of Anderson on actual boards.

Was it Daniel Jerimiah who just mocked Wilson over Anderson? I think he didnt do any trades, had us take Carter at 1 and then the Cards take Wilson at 3

Most of my appreciation for Wilson is the value for taking him at 7 or so. It’s a different conversation if we’re taking him top 3-4, but i think I’d still be comfortable with him. 

2 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Let me preface this by saying I LOVE Jalen Carter. He's been #1 on my board with a bullet for a long time

Just because someone does some nice things, doesnt mean they arent a pain in the *** to deal with, or immature, or even a jerk to others (or have been in the past) and it works vice versa as well.

If you are taking this new meal story hook line and sinker, you are doing the exact thing that you are mad at McShay for doing. Its all being reported with an agenda.

I will say this, Carter being a bit of a diva and rubbing people in the locker room the wrong way was absolutely something out there as far back as last season. Maybe he has matured, maybe it was just a small group that felt this way. But paying for one guys meals, while a nice selfless gesture, is not like he solved world hunger either.

Its all just stuff that teams have to investigate and vet themselves. We personally dont have the resources to do those things, and I can promise you when you hear the likes of McShay say it on TV, it has been given to him by multiple people at that point. Pretending he just woke up one day and thought "I dont like Jalen Carter, Im going to go out on National TV and smear him for no reason" it the most ludacris thing in all of this. 

Personally, from what Ive heard, I think last season Carter was a bit immature, maybe a bit of a Diva, and just isnt an extremely vocal person (like alot of that Georgia Defense is). Those things often get filed under the large general umbrella of "Character Concerns". I have heard he was much different this year as alot of those Lineman graduated to the NFL, and he was looked upon as more of a leader. Not that he is suddenly Ed Reed, but I dont believe there is anything to worry about

Young people generally in GA are expected to be always polite and deferential to any older person, especially people in authority.  Sometimes the players that grew up stars in that environment or are emulating someone else don't feel same and they pop off and will quickly get a bad label.   

Sometimes maybe they are just not in mood to small talk with someone they don't know and too quickly dismiss a fan who feels part of program. 

Sometimes they are standing up to a coach they may feel is misusing them.  Or could be any number of legit grievances with a coach.    

Sometimes players deserve the label if they take that too far or too often as would anyone.     

Point is you have to do a lot of homework and walk in their shoes a bit before you label someone a jerk.  They may well be.   But you have to trace where it is coming from and why.

I have always thought a good rule of thumb is if most people around you wherever you are have a problem with you, the problem likely isn't everyone else.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

The more I look at the top prospects, Im not all that convinced that Anderson is on the Elite Level of prospect that Carter is. He is more of a Stand-up Rusher, hes always going to be on the light side of a rusher, and while he is fundamentally sound, that in itself makes me question his long term projected potential. 

I think Tyree Wilson is much closer to Anderson than we initially projected, and honestly the Gap between Anderson/Wilson is going to be closer than the gap between Carter/Anderson (some are already projecting Wilson to go before Anderson, especially based on team fit) 

So in the end, to me, its going to come down to, is Jalen Carter the absolute cant miss, must have prospect in this draft. Or are we fine with passing on him to collect the Draft Capital and find another good/very good prospect wherever we land

I tend to agree - but honestly I have only watched one game of Anderson against TN in 2022 and highlights of Tyree.

I would have to watch way more to give a definitive opinion on it.

But my initial watch tells me Anderson is great with his hands, but doesn't have elite bend, power or closing speed.  Which worries me for a top 4 pick.  Maybe I watched a bad game.   

I think Jalen Carter is most talented prospect in draft.   Again maybe I only watched one of his better outings. 

But I also think if people are expecting him to come out and dominate like Aaron Donald they are going to be very disappointed.  I don't want to just compare him to best ever though.  

I think you are going to see best Carter in year 2 or 3 like you saw with Quinnen Williams.   Jets fans were really disappointed with Williams after rookie year if I recall.   He looked really good this year.   

We very likely see something similar with Carter.  Someone said he went like 10 straight games at one point without a TFL or sack.  If that happened next year that would be very disappointing for Bears fans taking him with a top 4 pick even in his rookie year.

But I go back to when I watch this guy (Carter),  he does things vast majority of other guys just can't do.   He was best player on 2021 and 2022 GA defenses which are/were loaded.   Usually when I see that and those other guys are doing their thing in NFL already, that guy succeeds in NFL.  I think of Jalen Ramsey on a stacked FL defense still being man.  I think of J Chase at LSU amongst those great WRs.    (Also using that logic makes a good case for JSN at WR being a pretty safe bet to succeed next level).  

I think given choice of any defender Carter has to be the pick - even with edge being much more valuable and rare.

I think Tyree vs. Anderson is a tougher choice.  That requires more study.   Tyree seems to be a prototypical NFL DE.  But his production wasn't amazing like you would think it would be.  

• Like 1

In the Carter vs Anderson (and Wilson) debate, I’m way more comfortable with projected available IDL options in the 2nd round and later than I am with edge later. I believe that what’s projected in most mocks (huge run on edges early) will make it more paramount to go for. But at the same time does flubby need his 3T most of all? Is that always going to be his pick?

2 hours ago, Ty21 said:

In the Carter vs Anderson (and Wilson) debate, I’m way more comfortable with projected available IDL options in the 2nd round and later than I am with edge later. I believe that what’s projected in most mocks (huge run on edges early) will make it more paramount to go for. But at the same time does flubby need his 3T most of all? Is that always going to be his pick?

Maybe, but there’s a really strong chance he gets that on 3/15 when FA officially opens. At that point the whole conversation would change, no? If we sign Dre’Mont Jones or Hargrave or Payne (somehow) at the outset of FA, the need for Carter becomes much less. That’s not to say we shouldn’t still take him if he’s there at our pick after a trade down, but it opens up everything a lot more on draft weekend if we fill that particular need before the draft.