Week 1 GDT: Broncos at Seahawks

broncos_fan _from _uk

Defensive penalties, historically bad fumble luck and some of the worst game management I’ve ever seen. That’s the game.

Russ basically kept us in that game converting 3rd down after 3rd down to extend drives. This is a double digit loss without the value a franchise QB brings. It is really really REALLY stupid to do the “I told you so” on Russ after what we saw tonight. But some people have their agendas and care more about being right I guess. 

16 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Being in Alaska, all my football friends are Seahawk fans. Before the trade this is what they told me and what I repeated here.

Russell Wilson is a running QB that's lost his legs. He's also showing the wear and tear of all the hits he's taken over the years. They all loved the trade.

Anyway, it's only one game but sure appears they were right. Pete Carrol's got to be laughing his a** off right now.

Idk how the takeaway from this game is that Russ doesn’t have it.  Penalties, red zone turnovers, game management. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, germ-x said:

Just watching the 2nd half.  That was about as bad a coached game as I’ve seen.  When you can’t get plays in on time there is something very wrong.

Beyond the penalties, that was the thing that stuck out to me the most.

One of my friends passed along the observation that teams who played their starters for part of the preseason faced teams that didn't - the teams that did just went 5-1.    I dismissed it because of the talent disparity, but man, it's hard not to think the staff underestimated the rust / lack of game reps in a hostile environment by a mile.  I don't think preseason is helpful at evaluating who should play - but it's becoming clearer especially with new schemes, you need the reps just to get timing down and gelling the chemistry.  It sucks we spent an actual game doing that.

I am DEAD serious when I say Seattle may only win 3-4 games.   They are that talent poor.  But when you get 7-8 more penalties, turn it over 2x at the 1, and then throw away 3+ minutes of 4Q game management wise...that's what happens.   I gave SEA a 20 percent win probability - and after all that, it took the worst last 4 minutes of coaching I've seen with the ball to lose it.  

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Being in Alaska, all my football friends are Seahawk fans. Before the trade this is what they told me and what I repeated here.

Russell Wilson is a running QB that's lost his legs. He's also showing the wear and tear of all the hits he's taken over the years. They all loved the trade.

Anyway, it's only one game but sure appears they were right. Pete Carrol's got to be laughing his a** off right now.

You might need new friends cause they sound like morons, but I guess they can enjoy the next decade of sucking.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

He shouldn't be fired.   But that's probably the absolute WORST HC start one can imagine:

-13 penalties IIRC

-Bad ST's

-Playing Javonte less than MG3

-Calling dive into the strongest part of SEA's D - their interior run D, and then not calling TO when the clock was dying on the 2nd fumble (and a huge reason why it got blown up).

-The literally worst play calling 4 min drive with the ball and 3 TO's left.   Literally might be the worst ever seen.

Coaches can learn.  The one guy who probably doesn't need to return on Monday was Hackett's game management consultant.  Still, the buck stops with Hackett, plain and simple.

Doesn't mean he needs to be fired.  But he has to own the worst possible debut imaginable on his & the staff's end.

All fair assessments.(Not pointing any fingers at you btw) I think its more than fair to be concerned about the start, but some people must not have watched many of the other first games of the season if they think that was even close to the sloppiest game this week.

I personally still think this is going to be a very good team that wins more games than they lose this year. Maybe I will have to eat crow maybe I won't, but I am also not going to jump ship after one game. Again not saying you are doing this, but some are posting like they are.

20 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Two easy wins against the Raiders huh?

You're welcome to come back in the Raiders forum to discuss Hacks late game decision making!

Nothing I can say in there that I just didn’t say when I was on the radio. You guys will beat us by 45 if things don’t change. Congrats on not taking last place in the AFCW, that basement belongs to us. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

@AnAngryAmerican you really had the stones to come in raiders forum to troll and talk about McDaniels playcalling. What in God's name was that mess we just watch. Lololololol

Hey man, check what I just said in response. I’ll keep my mouth shut from now on. After what I saw from the Broncos tonight I’ll gladly take Mac back as our HC and de facto GM. 

2 minutes ago, broncosfan07 said:

You might need new friends cause they sound like morons, but I guess they can enjoy the next decade of sucking.

I’ve lived in Seattle for Russ’ entire tenure and no one worth listening to is saying that. Hes a top 5-8 QB and the breakup was a function of personalities clashing, philosophy, and control.  If you’re DEN you make the Russ move every time. If you’re SEA you probably have a new coach, QB, and GM within 24 months.

3 minutes ago, MontanaBronco said:

All fair assessments.(Not pointing any fingers at you btw) I think its more than fair to be concerned about the start, but some people must not have watched many of the other first games of the season if they think that was even close to the sloppiest game this week.

I personally still think this is going to be a very good team that wins more games than they lose this year. Maybe I will have to eat crow maybe I won't, but I am also not going to jump ship after one game. Again not saying you are doing this, but some are posting like they are.

I had DEN at 11-6 as the median outcome.   This makes 10-7 more likely, but I'm not down on the team as a whole.  The talent improvement is incredibly real.

Keep in mind Gregory didn't have a PS.  Billy Turner & Josey Jewell didn't play (and I stand by my earlier comment that if we can't win without those 2, we don't deserve to win - but we'll be better in key spots shortly). 

It's easy to get down because it's a L we should have had - but that happens.     I'd much rather have this team than the one we had last year, even without next year's 1st.      And there's time for the coaching staff to learn & grow - but it's pretty clear Hackett & co. do need to learn & grow too.    How far behind they were is the part that's sobering.   But the best coaches start somewhere, and go through growing pains too - it's just unfortunate he probably had to do it with the possible worst performance coaching wise as a debut one can imagine.

4 minutes ago, MontanaBronco said:

Please tell me this is some advanced level sarcasm that I am not bright enough to understand

That game against the Raiders in 2010, when we lost at home 59-14, Mac did a better job coaching than what Hack did tonight. If I’m Walton, I give Hack $20 for bus fare and fire him before the team plane departs from SeaTac. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican

8 minutes ago, broncosfan07 said:

He has hated the trade from Day 1 and taken every opportunity to **** on Russ and take personal shots at him. He wanted to stay on the journeyman carousel forever and extend Fangio. Everyone else knows it was the right move. 

4 minutes ago, MontanaBronco said:

Please tell me this is some advanced level sarcasm that I am not bright enough to understand

You just gotta take AAA somewhere in the middle, he can be heavy on the sarcasm while also being a Debbie downer. He would probably burn the stadium to the ground before letting McD coach a game for the Broncos. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, broncosfan07 said:

So, for a guy that has averaged 5 carries a game for his career to have 1 carry for 2 yards doesn't seem a bit strange? To not call his number when we're inside the 5. No bootleg there?

Don't put words in my mouth. He can still play, we saw that tonight. I specifically mentioned his legs and running. If you saw something else let me know.