Week 1 GDT: Broncos at Seahawks

broncos_fan _from _uk

8 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Because the HC took away the clock with 1:10 and let it run down and called for a yardage gaining play.

There's a reason why the others see it as a ridiculous take.    It's OK to have a minority opinion, but sometimes, a bad take is just a bad take.    You choosing to use the result to justify Wilson is not the answer when he & Jeudy/Sutton (and 3rd down fumble notwithstanding, Javonte) were the reason we stayed in the game on O, is just classic confirmation bias.   We don't have to agree, I'm quite happy to have Wilson on the team, and I'm willing to give Hackett & co time (his game management coach might want to update his CV, though).

Whatever. First game of the year and you're already boring me. You still didn't tell me why he he made no plays in that stretch. Three minutes, only 32 yards leaving us in a 4th and 5? 

You're telling me that was someone else fault?  0-4 in the redzone, some else fault? One of those red zone fumbles was on 4th down, one on 3rd and both times stopped short. Not one TD pass in the RZ.

A great QB has to make great plays. Looks to me that he had lot's of chances. If you really think he played great then we'll never agree on a bar set so low.

2 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Whatever. First game of the year and you're already boring me. You still didn't tell me why he he made no plays in that stretch. Three minutes, only 32 yards leaving us in a 4th and 5? 

You're telling me that was someone else fault?  0-4 in the redzone, some else fault? One of those red zone fumbles was on 4th down, one on 3rd and both times stopped short. Not one TD pass in the RZ.

A great QB has to make great plays. Looks to me that he had lot's of chances. If you really think he played great then we'll never agree on a bar set so low.

We're never going to agree as you clearly never wanted Wilson in the first place - so each time we lose, even if it's on the biggest coaching mismanagement,  you'll just say "but why didn't Russ make a play then?".  

I'll let you have your take, and then we can just agree to disagree.    But there's a reason why the others called it an awful take.   I'm right there with them.   

FWIW, as for the game management decision, courtesy of the Main Forum:

Even if we say McManus is 2-3x better than average....that's a crazy difference.   You don't even need to be a metrics guy to see the gap, but that's pretty crazy.   

Hackett deserves all the criticism thrown his way for that decision.   Again no HC deserves to be fired for their 1st game, or even their first season - but that's literally going to go down as the worst game management decision at the end of a game in at least 20 years, if not ever. 

Edited by Broncofan

18 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

We're never going to agree as you clearly never wanted Wilson in the first place - so each time we lose, even if it's on the biggest coaching mismanagement,  you'll just say "but why didn't Russ make a play then?".  

I'll let you have your take, and then we can just agree to disagree.    But there's a reason why the others called it an awful take.   I'm right there with them.   

He is philosophically opposed to investing in the QB position (remember he thought Teddy was going to the Pro Bowl last year) and you can see the ridiculous lengths he has to take that philosophy to in his arguments. Since the trade was made, he’s done nothing but complain about it for six months. Sucks to see a good poster basically give up on making interesting contributions to the board just because he’s upset that we got Russ. 

Edited by BroncoBruin

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

FWIW, as for the game management decision, courtesy of the Main Forum:

Even if we say McManus is 2-3x better than average....that's a crazy difference.   You don't even need to be a metrics guy to see the gap, but that's pretty crazy.   

Hackett deserves all the criticism thrown his way for that decision.   Again no HC deserves to be fired for their 1st game, or even their first season - but that's literally going to go down as the worst game management decision at the end of a game in at least 20 years, if not ever. 

I think I blacked out during that entire sequence. Couldn’t believe it was happening. 

• Like 1

McManus gets much respect for saying he should have made it.   But a HC is supposed to know what the better option is.

I hope Hackett owns this all week long and for the rest of the season whenever it's brought up.   Play to win, not to "not lose".   Playing to drain the clock and for the FG is an all-time "don't lose" strategy.   

13 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

He is philosophically opposed to investing in the QB position (remember he thought Teddy was going to the Pro Bowl last year) and you can see the ridiculous lengths he has to take that philosophy to in his arguments. Since the trade was made, he’s done nothing but complain about it for six months. Sucks to see a good poster basically give up on making interesting contributions to the board just because he’s upset that we got Russ. 

Pretty much none of that is true. I'm all for investing a lot in a QB in the right situation, like Stafford to the Rams. A perennial PO team missing just one piece to win a SB. We weren't anywhere near that close, I think the timing was awful. 

Since we've made the trade I've avoided the topic. At that point it is what it is, he's a Bronco and that's that. I was vocal before but not sure I've even mentioned it since, I've personally avoided it. 

Now, we had lots of problems, coaching being the biggest today. We had no solutions, Russ included. He'll be a good journeyman QB but that's it I think. I think the "special" part of his game is gone. Hopefully it returns but I won't be expecting it.

Now, if you guys think that he had a great game we really disagree. Bottom line, he generated 16 points, 7 of those being on Juedy. Otherwise that's a pick. 

I agreed when you made the comment when we got the ball back with 4 minutes down by a field goal, "this is what we got him for" . Absolutely true. He didn't come through. I'm not sure why pointing out the obvious makes me some kind of Hater. I'm not. He just needs to improve a lot, like many others if this is to be a successful season.

33 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

To add salt to the wound...

And in case cherrypicking is cited, he's 2 for 10 from 58+.    Ugh man Hackett.

Lol I remember him cussing out Fangio for not letting him try a kick there’s no reason to believe he will make. But Fangio gave him plenty of opportunities. 

it never even occurred to me they would think about the FG when we had 2nd and 14 after another clunky screen play. The screen game was hit or miss and at least encouraging to see after Shurmur but it looked pretty rough the whole game. Timing isn’t there yet.

Edited by BroncoBruin
  • Like 1

I’m incredibly encouraged by the improvement in talent except at ILB.   And pray Billy Turner stays healthy all year long once he’s back.  

But I post the above to underline how awful the decision was.   This honestly needs to be a #neverforget moment for Hackett and the coaching staff.   Learn from this and never have “don’t lose” be the philosophy.  

Off to bed.  

Well ... That was a whirlwind. 

We did everything we could to lose this game, against a poor opponent.

Abysmal redzone Offense which includes everything and everyone. Hackett calls the cute draw Play with the power RB, and the finesse RB gets the power run ..... Two fumbles inside the 1 - we could just leave it there really.

Abysmal, sloppy penalties Defensively. A total embarrassing first half performance, in particular our pass rush.

You just have to reserve Hackett for last. He bottled it, plain and simple. Take the timeout as soon as you have 4th and 4. Think about it. It was painstaking watching the clock run down.

Brutal loss, that puts so much pressure on our upcoming games.

• Like 2