The Week 1 Thread: Jacksonville Jaguars vs. Washington Commanders, 1 PM Sunday on FOX

MikeT14

22 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

The only way he’s going to improve - if he does - is to play him. They did him & the future of the D a disservice last year by playing Mayo over him on run downs last Nov & Dec. Only way he’s going to diagnose/process & play faster is if he’s out there doing it. He’s improved over last year, we just need to see him keep progressing.

If your gonna keep him out there, use him more as a blitzer rather than having him cover WR's. 

What are you gonna do next week when the Lions line up in that same formation? Once again Davis will be responsible for covering a WR. Seems your suggesting keeping things as they are and playing time is gonna change Davis getting beat on that play? 

Edited by DCNative

3 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Most teams don’t spend that much time in their base defense anymore. The league has become so specialized in a sense that the defense most teams use involve five DBs in some capacity…..to counter most teams trotting out three WRs in their base offense. 

Is it working for us? 

2 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

So if teams are running out three wide receivers, one running back, one tight end, five offensive lineman along with their quarterback, you think we are better lining up against that with four defensive linemen, three linebackers and four defensive backs?

Yes if your LB can cover the TE and Safety can cover a WR.

6 minutes ago, DCNative said:

Yes if your LB can cover the TE and Safety can cover a WR.

Alright, thanks for being consistent.

I think we can both agree that, due to the lack of depth and current roster construction, neither is probably going to work right now. This is arguably the worst linebacker unit I’ve ever seen, and the defensive backs lack someone who can effectively play the slot. Plus, Jackson hasn’t panned out and he seems miscast by a defense that primarily runs zone. 

• Like 1

The biggest thing for me was the fact they had an amazing mix and really set them up and had them guessing. We had a real chance to do stack sets and have Terry and Dotson go deep and hit one of them with a pump that defense was cheating up huge. We had them where we wanted. Things can improve because there are so many mid and deep concepts to add to the things we did good yesterday. As teams catch up to how we have used these guys those things will be more avalible and this offense can evolve a lot. Carson with time will only get more comfortable. That said awesome win but we have alot that we can catch on film and build with.

Our defense had guys running free in the flats and underneath routes that were missed because pressure. When curl is back with Forrest getting time with he and Bobby this defense can def grow a ton on the back end with curls, Forrest and Percy’s speed. Percy has a ways to go but I think he’s having moments good and bad he will learn on tape

• Like 1

1 minute ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Alright, thanks for being consistent.

I think we can both agree that, due to the lack of depth and current roster construction, neither is probably going to work right now. This is arguably the worst linebacker unit I’ve ever seen, and the defensive backs lack someone who can effectively play the slot. Plus, Jackson hasn’t panned out and he seems miscast by a defense that primarily runs zone. 

And blame for all this goes to........Ron Rivera. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, DCNative said:

If your gonna keep him out there, use him more as a blitzer rather than having him cover WR's. 

What are you gonna do next week when the Lions line up in that same formation? Once again Davis will be responsible for covering a WR. Seems your suggesting keeping things as they are and playing time is gonna change Davis getting beat on that play? 

I agree, they should blitz him & Holcomb more than they do but, you can’t do that every play obviously. He’s still got to learn and develop as a Lb, in diagnosing plays, in recognizing route concepts and not blowing his assignments. That comes with playing & getting regular season reps. 

I sure expect Davis to be better in December than he is now, if he’s not, they had better draft another Lb w/in the first 3 rounds and sign a FA LB too.

13 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

The biggest thing for me was the fact they had an amazing mix and really set them up and had them guessing. We had a real chance to do stack sets and have Terry and Dotson go deep and hit one of them with a pump that defense was cheating up huge. We had them where we wanted. Things can improve because there are so many mid and deep concepts to add to the things we did good yesterday. As teams catch up to how we have used these guys those things will be more avalible and this offense can evolve a lot. Carson with time will only get more comfortable. That said awesome win but we have alot that we can catch on film and build with.

Our defense had guys running free in the flats and underneath routes that were missed because pressure. When curl is back with Forrest getting time with he and Bobby this defense can def grow a ton on the back end with curls, Forrest and Percy’s speed. Percy has a ways to go but I think he’s having moments good and bad he will learn on tape

Need to see more out of Percy. Percy was responsible for one of the TDs given ho when he was in as a Buffalo nickel/SS in goal line. He was supposed to cover the Lb in the flat but let him go uncovered for a TD.

2 minutes ago, Troublez said:

Anyone else feel like your friends and family aren't giving Dotson any respect... I mean my god, my buddy balked at me when I suggested he name his unborn son Jahan for a chance of greatness....

Yeah, well not a friend but a Penn State & I think Phila fan on Twitter wouldn’t accept my point that Jahan outplayed Wilson & Olave yesterday bc Wilson had one more catch & 12 more yards w/ 0 TDs. It was the dumbest argument I’ve ever seen, he tried to act like the 2 TDs meant nothing. Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

We only have $4.3 million in cap space. I’m not sure where this myth comes that we have a ton of cap space but obviously people haven’t check on that in 5 to 7 months.

We start off next year as of now with $9.15 mil in cap space but that’s before the cap goes up which it probably will by $10-20 mil. 

Edited by turtle28