Queen Elizabeth II has passed away

MikeT14

3 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

Wow that’s crazy, even though it was bound to happen at some point. Her reign by itself was a full human life. First royal family news I’ve ever actually cared about. 

I’m old enough to remember Princess Diana’s death (and it stands out to me because my grandmother passed away the same day). I remember the impact of that one more because of the tragic nature of it (being chased by paparazzi).

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I’m old enough to remember Princess Diana’s death (and it stands out to me because my grandmother passed away the same day). I remember the impact of that one more because of the tragic nature of it (being chased by paparazzi).

I don’t remember that, I was only 5. Even 9/11 is foggy to me, but that might be due to my school sending us home and not saying what was happening. I imagine at 9, a terrorist attack on a building didn’t really register with me 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

I don’t remember that, I was only 5. Even 9/11 is foggy to me, but that might be due to my school sending us home and not saying what was happening. I imagine at 9, a terrorist attack on a building didn’t really register with me 

I think the news getting out there the last few days took away a little bit of the shock. But it’s a weird feeling. Like her reign is many years longer than my parents have been alive. It had to happen eventually but was and is hard to picture someone else in that seat / on money / swapping to king in the songs / etc.

Diana I just remember my mom being sad. Seemed like such a big deal though. 

Yeah it would’ve been a lot different actually being told on 9/11, it was so spooky not knowing and kids just constantly being called out as their parents picked them up. Constantly hearing email pings on the teacher’s computer. They ended up calling an early dismissal and a brother of one of my friends in the neighborhood told me. Was like “huh?”, didn’t register til I went home to try to watch TV and every channel had the tower footage.

Im not sure this will register as a “remember  what I was doing when” moment, but does feel notable.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

I remember the Challenger disaster when I was five... But that was more interesting because I was big into NASA when I was a kid. (That same week, the nuclear disaster at Chernobyl took place, which I didn't even know about until I was in my early teens).

9 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Im not sure this will register as a “remember  what I was doing when” moment, but does feel notable.

I'm sort of in the same boat here. This feels significant, but I don't know if it's significant enough to burn itself into my memory.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

I was also 9 and I remember it vividly but it the importance of it was not understood. Last year for the 20th anniversary I watched a bunch of stuff on it and it's mind blowing. 

• Like 1

The two things I always remember from Diana's death was the media constantly showing the tunnel she died in (and it feeling very creepy) and Elton John Candle in the Wind constantly playing.

The queen lived 96 years and was queen 70 of those years.    She sure lived a blessed and full life.    RIP.