Queen Elizabeth II has passed away

MikeT14

20 hours ago, ET80 said:

I remember the Challenger disaster when I was five... But that was more interesting because I was big into NASA when I was a kid. (That same week, the nuclear disaster at Chernobyl took place, which I didn't even know about until I was in my early teens).

I'm sort of in the same boat here. This feels significant, but I don't know if it's significant enough to burn itself into my memory.

You're making me feel old.  We were skipping school (10th grade for me) at the bowling alley on that one.  I was so distraught that I actually decided to just go to school.  The amazing thing to me was that my stay at home mom didn't know when I got home last afternoon because she hadn't flipped on the TV all day.  When I got to school, no one even believed me, until the principal announced it an hour later.

Is it odd that I was dumbstruck the flag at half staff today?  I can never remember that for someone that wasn't an American.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ET80 said:

I remember the Challenger disaster when I was five... But that was more interesting because I was big into NASA when I was a kid. (That same week, the nuclear disaster at Chernobyl took place, which I didn't even know about until I was in my early teens).

TL;DR

A few years ago my dad was posthumously inducted into his HS HOF. Another lady there was also inducted as a long time educator/sports contributor (announcer at games, etc.). 

Her daughter inducted her, and she started off the speech with a letter her mom wrote her when she was a little girl entitled "It wasn't meant to be", because she was the last elementary teacher eliminated (down to the final 2) to do the lesson from space on The Challenger. Small world. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

TL;DR

A few years ago my dad was posthumously inducted into his HS HOF. Another lady there was also inducted as a long time educator/sports contributor (announcer at games, etc.). 

Her daughter inducted her, and she started off the speech with a letter her mom wrote her when she was a little girl entitled "It wasn't meant to be", because she was the last elementary teacher eliminated (down to the final 2) to do the lesson from space on The Challenger. Small world. 

Oh WOW - between her and Christa McAuliffe, wow.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Oh WOW - between her and Christa McAuliffe, wow.

It was a fairly neat "shift" on the speech with a tribute to Christa McAuliffe too, but basically the message was "You were right mom and I'm thankful it wasn't meant to be for you, and basically an overview of the next 3 decades and how it culminated into what was meant to be instead."

5 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

You're making me feel old.  We were skipping school (10th grade for me) at the bowling alley on that one.  I was so distraught that I actually decided to just go to school.  The amazing thing to me was that my stay at home mom didn't know when I got home last afternoon because she hadn't flipped on the TV all day.  When I got to school, no one even believed me, until the principal announced it an hour later..

My entire 6th grade class watched it happen live on TV.  I was really into NASA so I was stoked for the launch.  My friend’s family knew the McAuliffe family so it was a big deal for him to even see her get to go to space.  I just remember him crying… 😢

It was all so surreal.  I also remember the teachers being mortified on our behalf like they had unknowingly gathered our entire class to witness a tragedy together. 

Edited by thrILL!

1 hour ago, thrILL! said:

My entire 6th grade class watched it happen live on TV.  I was really into NASA so I was stoked for the launch.  My friend’s family knew the McAuliffe family so it was a big deal for him to even see her get to go to space.  I just remember him crying… 😢

It was all so surreal.  I also remember the teachers being mortified on our behalf like they had unknowingly gathered our entire class to witness a tragedy together. 

My sixth grade class watched the first Columbia launch, and then gathered in the auditorium a week later to watch it land safely.  Oddly enough, we had just studied the Challenger disaster years later with my fifth graders and I mentioned that the Columbia would be landing on TV that Saturday.  Needless to say, I ruined a lot of kids weekends with the outcome because they got up to watch it

Another weird "six degrees" connection.  When I first was hired to teach, I replaced a teacher who moved to middle school to teach astronomy, and she was one of the nine finalists that lost out to McAuliffe for the spot.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MWil23 said:

TL;DR

I replaced another teacher who was among the ten finalists as well.

• Like 1