Around the league Talk 2022-23

KingTitan

what even are our biggest contracts?

tannehill, lewan, henry, byard, dupree, landry.

especially if we move on from lewan and dupree (and perhaps even tannehill), how on EARTH does that add up to not being able to afford simmons? it just boggles my mind.

I’d sacrifice tanny and lewan to keep big Jeff. Roll with Willis or draft a qb and find a T. It’s not easy to find a difference maker like big Jeff on the line. I’d be highly pissed if we lost Jeff. Losing AJ and big Jeff would be heartbreaking and inexcusable 

9 minutes ago, 615finest said:

I’d sacrifice tanny and lewan to keep big Jeff. Roll with Willis or draft a qb and find a T. It’s not easy to find a difference maker like big Jeff on the line. I’d be highly pissed if we lost Jeff. Losing AJ and big Jeff would be heartbreaking and inexcusable 

easily. not even a question

3 minutes ago, twotonebluenation said:

If we cut Cunningham and Lewan that gets us to 12.

If we add on Dupree that gets us to 21.

If we get real spicy and add Tannehill that gets us to about 40.

We could save 13 mill by cutting Woods also.

We have options to free space.

ah right i forgot about cunningham and woods both having big hits next year. i think a lot of us have been operating on the assumption we cut cunningham anyway. we did quite fine without him when he was gone to begin this season, and as monty rice works his way back to full go hopefully he can take on that role as well.

at any rate i really hope that this is just simmons doing a little negotiating through the press. because the idea of not being able to pay jeff is completely ludicrous.

• Like 1

We are also going to have to figure out what we want to do with Nate Davis, David Long, and Tart. Idk. Next offseason could be a serious shakeup to the roster and the outlook of the franchise.

I wonder if they would also maybe look at reworking Tannehills contract to be more team friendly and help spread out money. They have to be a bit worried about turning it over to Willis.

18 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

what even are our biggest contracts?

tannehill, lewan, henry, byard, dupree, landry.

especially if we move on from lewan and dupree (and perhaps even tannehill), how on EARTH does that add up to not being able to afford simmons? it just boggles my mind.

Yeah, cutting Lewan and Cunningham are no-brainers because it comes with very little dead money.  Dupree comes with a significant dead hit, and we're already hurting at the position.  I'd rather see them try to extend Dupree for less money.  He's a decent pass rusher, just not a 16 mil a year one.  Big dead money hits make rebuilding extra hard.

Woods being cut would free up a lot of money, but again, it's at a position we're really hurting at and he's been our best one.  Another great candidate for an extension.

Beyond that, yeah, just Tanny.  And him you probably can't extend to save money on like the other two.  It's either plug him in and go for one more year, or cut him completely and see what Willis can do.

Do all that, even without cutting Tanny, and you get enough money in the budget to re-sign priority FAs like Davis, Long, and Simmons, without opening current holes even wider, and enough leftover to keep on one or two contributors like Walker, Ola, or NWI.

What I hope they do is give Simmons a big extension that pays in 2024.  We have a ton of space there, so if they're clever, maybe they can use that to keep those guys around and still make a big signing in Free Agency.

21 minutes ago, twotonebluenation said:

We are also going to have to figure out what we want to do with Nate Davis, David Long, and Tart. Idk. Next offseason could be a serious shakeup to the roster and the outlook of the franchise.

I wonder if they would also maybe look at reworking Tannehills contract to be more team friendly and help spread out money. They have to be a bit worried about turning it over to Willis.

Oh man, Tart is gone.  Only way he's coming back is if we didn't re-sign Simmons.

I think the more likely candidates to be re-signed are Walker, Hand, and Naquan.  They'll all be much cheaper than Tart, and if you spend big on Simmons, you can't also spend big on Tart IMO.

19 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

i will say as much as we're all worried right now, this is true. any GM is going to be cagey about pay at the start of the negotations, and you better believe simmons getting that little tidbit in is a way of pushing his line. 

It’s like he said, the AJ situation got me on edge. Last year at this time, I thought there was absolutely no way AJ wouldn’t be a part of this team in 2022 or beyond and anyone who suggest he wouldn’t would be laughed and ridiculed. Whether he forced his way out or not, we saw how that ended.

So yeah, negotiations or not, I’m a bit on the nervous side when quotes like that come about. I’m honestly going to be until the deal gets done.

• Like 2

If Robinson messes up Simmons then yeah that is worth firing him alone. 

I do also feel like the quote was about their preliminary talks. Cause as of now, they don't have the money to make him the highest paid defensive player in the league. 

Not that they won't. 

I took it that way.