Plenty of chum for the media gulls above San Francisco

notthatbluestuff

2 hours ago, BayRaider said:

How can one judge either in that game with the conditions? It was the worst field I’ve seen since the MNF 3-0 Dolphin vs Steelers game in 2007. 

I’ve got high hopes for both Lance and Fields. Although Fields has more of an excuse this year with his high school level OL and school level WR unit. 

There are certain things that you can definitely judge, even in those conditions. 

That being said, I thought Lance was just fine for 3 quarters. Wasn't blowing the doors off or anything, but I think he was 8/14 for 120 yards. This would be in line with my in game expectations for hte most part. I was banking on a lot of 12/21, 165 yards type games.  The wheels fell off in the 4th quarter, admittedly, though that's also when it really started pouring. The first three quarters would be much more in line with my expectations for the year though. 

On 9/13/2022 at 12:59 PM, clarkfn2284 said:

What are you talking about? Lance was killed before the season even started. It has been determined that he would fail long before the Bears game by national media. There will be a learning curve for any young QB in 99% of cases even if they sit and learn. He has played in 3.5 games so far and had less than 400 throws since high school. I think its logical to give time to the guy to see how he develops.

I think what you just highlighted here is exactly why Lance was perhaps the worst possible sort of rookie QB for the 49ers to take. They have a legit Super Bowl roster now, and that isn't guaranteed a few years from now. Lance is one of if not the rawest prospects I can recall being taken in the 1st round to play QB. Then to mortgage everything they did to obtain him? 

Lance could take years to reach his potential. Look at Josh Allen, and he had more experience coming out. There's Tannehill. 

I don't think you can judge who Lance will be even by the end of this season, but it will be interesting to see if the 49ers braintrust has the patience to stick with him. I'm not even sure it would be the right call because, again, that is a Super Bowl ready roster right now with the right QB. And do Shanahan and Lynch have the job security to really be waiting 2+ years for Lance to pan out, even if they do have the desire to wait for him?