Wide Receiver Outlook

MacReady

3 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

...Yancey has improved a lot. I thought he ran nice routes, got open, had a few stick catches. I wouldn't be surprised if he makes the team

Think he's got a good shot to get a PS invite.  I'm guessing he's not a real high-ceiling guy, so think pretty good chance he'd clear to PS.  

I wonder with Kumerow.  He seems pretty good. 

I don't really have a good feel for how/why some other team might snag a guy. 

• Usually, I think pickups are for talent potential.  Claim a younger upside-guy, and hope you can develop guy into a good player for you.  Basically a red**** claim. 
  • From that angle, Kumerow turning 27 shortly after SB might NOT be super appealing waiver claim to other teams? 
  • So maybe Packers could park BOTH Kumerow and Yancey on practice squad?  
  • On the flip side, sometimes a pickup is for depth purposes and injury-insurance.  Somebody who can play this year if needed, even if the ceiling isn't ginormous.  For a team like that, Kumerow might be a **very** attractive candidate. 
  • I'm guessing the Packers-advantage there might be the learning curve with any new offense?  Can any waiver-claim WR at the end of camp be viewed as instantly "play-now" ready?  

Kumerow is this year's version of McCaffery. 

Having a nice camp but his future is on someone else's roster.

Rodger's comments on Kumerow where timed with his chiding of the rookie WRs to inspire.  Seems to be working.

1 hour ago, craig said:

Think he's got a good shot to get a PS invite.  I'm guessing he's not a real high-ceiling guy, so think pretty good chance he'd clear to PS.  

I wonder with Kumerow.  He seems pretty good. 

I don't really have a good feel for how/why some other team might snag a guy. 

• Usually, I think pickups are for talent potential.  Claim a younger upside-guy, and hope you can develop guy into a good player for you.  Basically a red**** claim. 
  • From that angle, Kumerow turning 27 shortly after SB might NOT be super appealing waiver claim to other teams? 
  • So maybe Packers could park BOTH Kumerow and Yancey on practice squad?  
  • On the flip side, sometimes a pickup is for depth purposes and injury-insurance.  Somebody who can play this year if needed, even if the ceiling isn't ginormous.  For a team like that, Kumerow might be a **very** attractive candidate. 
  • I'm guessing the Packers-advantage there might be the learning curve with any new offense?  Can any waiver-claim WR at the end of camp be viewed as instantly "play-now" ready?  

I'd say Yancey has a decent ceiling. He was a 5th round pick after all last year, with solid computer numbers (6'2'' 4.5). He's also gotten reps with the ones. I think he has a 50-50 shot.

Kumerow needs some magic to make the team. He needs some kind of combination of AR lobbying, becoming a special teams ace, or if Allison falling out of favor/getting injured. The 4th-6th wr roles typically go to development players and special teamers, not pure receivers that are 26 with #3 upside. 

Kumerow is making the team. There’s no way they don’t take ARs opinion in high regard when it comes to this, and the kid is playing great at camp and yesterday. Unless he falls off the map, he’ll be in the team.

( here comes the “ Rodgers shouldn’t make roster decisions” comments)

Just now, pollino14 said:

Kumerow is making the team. There’s no way they don’t take ARs opinion in high regard when it comes to this, and the kid is playing great at camp and yesterday. Unless he falls off the map, he’ll be in the team.

( here comes the “ Rodgers shouldn’t make roster decisions” comments)

Just wait until you hear my conspiracy theory about Rodgers secretly having given his blessing to cut Jordy in favor of signing Graham. 

They'll keep 7: Adams, Cobb, Allison, Kumerow, MVS, ESB, and Moore. With Yancey to the PS. Or switch Moore and Yancey. The next three games will tell. Next year Cobb and Allison will be gone and the WR roster will be Adams, Kumerow, MVS, ESB, Moore, and Yancey. That is my totally unqualified prediction. (I'm never right.) :$

3 hours ago, Leader said:

He'd get snagged faster than the you can blink....and the diatribe against Gute for exposing/losing him can begin. 

Last nights game alone wide receivers would you cut before him? I’ll add that MVS Kumarow and St Brown  call got better separation in the routes than Moore. 

4 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Just my 2 cents, but if J'mon Moore doesn't become more consistent catching the ball, he won't make this team, even with 4th round status.

I was thinking the same thing. The other two rookies and Kumerow leaped over him last night I'd think. I'd bet he'd get put on IR before he'd actually get cut though. 

1 minute ago, MantyWrestler said:

Last nights game alone wide receivers would you cut before him? I’ll add that MVS Kumarow and St Brown  call got better separation in the routes than Moore. 

I'm not making any decisions based on last nights game alone. I've not seen any of it but video clips off of Twitter. 
The word on JMo is he's got WRing skills. Its early.

I been feeling good abo8ut the height, speed and innate talents of the young guys. What pleased me most with last nights game was their ability to translate it to the field. That put a smile on my face - but its early for all of them.

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

After one game and knowing the Packers I'd be shocked to see any of the 3 rookies get cut. If anything, best case scenario would be an "injury" to one of them so you could stash him on IR. If not, them plus Adams and Cobb equal 5. Allison is probably a lock for 2018 even though he's has very little upside compared to the rookies. You could cut Allison but that's a risk for this year. If he's six, that leaves Kumerow v. Davis for a probable 7 spot. Jekyll and Hyde there because Davis is basically a ST-only guy but no one seems to be challenging him for the PR spot. Yancey IMO has no shot at making this team absent 2-3 major injuries in the next few weeks.

I'll puke if Davis makes this team. Kumerow showed in one preseason game what Davis hasn't been able to show since he's gotten here. Last year when he never even raised his arms on a pass was all I needed to see from him. I'd have cut him already. And who cares about the extra yard or two he gets on a punt return. 

7 minutes ago, Leader said:

I'm not making any decisions based on last nights game alone. I've not seen any of it but video clips off of Twitter. 
The word on JMo is he's got WRing skills. Its early.

I been feeling good abo8ut the height, speed and innate talents of the young guys. What pleased me most with last nights game was their ability to translate it to the field. That put a smile on my face - but its early for all of them.

Totally agree. Just saying, based on what I just saw (in 1 game) he’s behind the other rooks and Kumar. I’ll 

3 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

If he can't catch consistently, let him get snagged.  He needs to step it up because he doesn't get better separation, and he doesn't catch consistently.  At this point he is nothing but potential IMO.

We always worry about players getting snagged, but I don't remember a WR snagged at cutdowns that went on to be significant elsewhere.  Anybody?

Norm will get this one, but the great Patrick Swain is the only one that I can think of with his career of one start and 7 receptions after he left Green Bay. 

Archived