Wide Receiver Outlook

MacReady

I find it interesting that while we have all focused on the rookies and Trevor Davis, Deangelo Yancy quietly put himself in position to be running with the one's while Cobb has been out.  I noticed it at family night, and he was there again today.

Rodgers named him as one of the players that was doing a good job in practice today, doing it right and putting in the effort.

There may be a lot more competition for these spots than we see.

8 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

I find it interesting that while we have all focused on the rookies and Trevor Davis, Deangelo Yancy quietly put himself in position to be running with the one's while Cobb has been out.  I noticed it at family night, and he was there again today.

Rodgers named him as one of the players that was doing a good job in practice today, doing it right and putting in the effort.

There may be a lot more competition for these spots than we see.

I'm curious about Yancey as well. I remember hearing very little about him in camp last year, and the same holds true this year. I don't exactly have high hopes for him, but I'm curious to see what he can do Thursday.

https://twitter.com/SconnieSports/status/1027025617211072512

I have no idea how you cut MVS, EQ, Or J’Mon; they all have way too much upside. Allison & Kumerow have the vote of confidence from 12 and are probably receivers 3 & 4 if you were playing the Super Bowl today. Adams & Cobb obviously not going anywhere. Davis the best ST’s player.

This is going to be insanely fascinating & maybe the decision will be helped by injuries. If things stay status quo I’d bet money that Davis gets traded between preseason weeks 3 & 4 for a conditional pick to give him a chance at another roster.

We shall see. Totally agree with you on the fact there’s a lot of time left and that 1 or 2 could fall flat, but at this point I think MVS & EQ in particular warrant enough skill today + upside in the future to make 53 man rosters this season.

Rodgers is an idiot and I'd really like for him to shut his mouth.  First, I'm not really bothered by him calling out receivers, but when he makes it clear exactly who he's upset with and singles some of them out, I don't think that's doing anybody any favors.  He's just being a ****.  For example, if he'd said something like, "A lot of the guys had really bad effort," or even if he said exactly what he said without saying exactly which three didn't, that's just kinda crap.  Say it to their face.  Nobody needs to know what you think of your young receivers, certainly not 31 other teams.  He might as well sign the Packers up for Hard Knocks if he's going to talk like that. 

That's not even why I'm mad at him though.  That wasn't a big issue and it's not something I would even talk about if it wasn't for what I just saw he said today. 

He's an idiot for even suggesting that the NFL move to more of an NBA-structured salary cap.  He's an absolute moronic idiot to think that would be good for the NFL, and especially to think that would be good for the Packers. 

Regardless of whether or not people believe the truth (players don't want to play in Green Bay over any other city), one thing is clear... The Packers have not stretched their limit cap wise since 1997.  Anybody who thinks the NBA has a better salary cap situation is a moron. 

Yeah, I don't like Rodgers, and I'm probably gonna get ripped for this, but I don't care because anybody who agrees with Rodgers on his salary cap statements is just as stupid as he is. 

Biggest diva to ever play QB in Green Bay, and that's saying a lot considering who the last one was. 

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

Rodgers is an idiot and I'd really like for him to shut his mouth.  First, I'm not really bothered by him calling out receivers, but when he makes it clear exactly who he's upset with and singles some of them out, I don't think that's doing anybody any favors.  He's just being a ****.  For example, if he'd said something like, "A lot of the guys had really bad effort," or even if he said exactly what he said without saying exactly which three didn't, that's just kinda crap.  Say it to their face.  Nobody needs to know what you think of your young receivers, certainly not 31 other teams.  He might as well sign the Packers up for Hard Knocks if he's going to talk like that. 

There's nothing to suggest that he didn't voice his displeasure with the players to their faces though. It's not like he gets pissed during practice, bottles it up, and gushes to the media. I'm sure everyone on that field is aware if he thinks the effort is lacking.

Just now, Fl0nkerton said:

There's nothing to suggest that he didn't voice his displeasure with the players to their faces though. It's not like he gets pissed during practice, bottles it up, and gushes to the media. I'm sure everyone on that field is aware if he thinks the effort is lacking.

Yeah, I know, and that's totally fine.  I have no problem with that.  I have a problem with him going public about it instead of just keeping it on the field. 

Just now, pacman5252 said:

I think it is good Rodgers is telling the guys to work harder. The young guys might have talent, but if you want to play you need to be in an exact area at an exact time when playing with the best.

Yeah.  I agree.  I don't think it's good that Rodgers is telling the media that guys need to work harder. 

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

Yeah, I know, and that's totally fine.  I have no problem with that.  I have a problem with him going public about it instead of just keeping it on the field. 

That's fair. I think it kind of comes with the territory. We all have different expectations of how we want our QB to act. It could be worse. At least ours didn't get filmed getting curb stomped by frat dudes on Spring Break. 

Not to defend Rodgers, but there is a bit of a missing link involved here. Nelson and Cobb and others have stated how the wide receiver position has been a mentor type fraternity. Nelson and Cobb learned from Driver and others. Driver learned from Brooks and Freeman etc. 

Don't know if Cobb can be that guy, or if the injuries have limited him or what the deal is. 

The CB position is another. I mentioned it a couple years ago. We had nobody to help the young guys. That situation has been rectified.

You can say it's the coaches job, but nothing works better than to say, ""watch that guy and do what he does"" or having veterans to lead a group if younger players at the position. It's lacking at the WR spot I think. We have a bunch of young guys that obviously don't know what it takes yet.

Just now, cannondale said:

Not to defend Rodgers, but there is a bit of a missing link involved here. Nelson and Cobb and others have stated how the wide receiver position has been a mentor type fraternity. Nelson and Cobb learned from Driver and others. Driver learned from Brooks and Freeman etc. 

Don't know if Cobb can be that guy, or if the injuries have limited him or what the deal is. 

The CB position is another. I mentioned it a couple years ago. We had nobody to help the young guys. That situation has been rectified.

You can say it's the coaches job, but nothing works better than to say, ""watch that guy and do what he does"" or having veterans to lead a group if younger players at the position. It's lacking at the WR spot I think

He might not have been around forever but I'm pretty sure you can point at Adams and say do what he does just as easily as any old guy vet

I didn't think I'd be saying this, but I'm thinking that possibly 7 WRs make the roster. As the vets are probably locks, guys stepping up seem like they're pushing for the 3rd and 4th spot and the three rookie draft picks.

Vets: Adams, Cobb

Step-up: Allison, Kumerow

Rookies: Moore, Valdes-Scantling, St. Brown

4 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

That's not even why I'm mad at him though.  That wasn't a big issue and it's not something I would even talk about if it wasn't for what I just saw he said today. 

He's an idiot for even suggesting that the NFL move to more of an NBA-structured salary cap.  He's an absolute moronic idiot to think that would be good for the NFL, and especially to think that would be good for the Packers. 

Regardless of whether or not people believe the truth (players don't want to play in Green Bay over any other city), one thing is clear... The Packers have not stretched their limit cap wise since 1997.  Anybody who thinks the NBA has a better salary cap situation is a moron. 

Yeah, I don't like Rodgers, and I'm probably gonna get ripped for this, but I don't care because anybody who agrees with Rodgers on his salary cap statements is just as stupid as he is. 

Biggest diva to ever play QB in Green Bay, and that's saying a lot considering who the last one was. 

Favre was an absolutely insane diva in his later years. The retirement games alone are seriously some of the worst examples of divaism in NFL history. Man makes TO look like Tim Duncan. What Rodgers is doing isn't even comparable.

Guaranteed contracts would be good for the NFL players. Probably not good for the NFL as a whole, but for the players it would be good, and I'm not expecting Rodgers to put Jerry Jones ahead of Josh Hawkins on his priority list. 

The players dream would probably be to get rid of the hard cap and let the absurdly competitive and wealthy owners spend asinine amounts of money to try and win like the NBA. In my opinion that's not as entertaining because it gets rid of parity, but I'm not gonna ride Rodgers for looking to get paid when that's all anybody else is doing.

There's no good guys in the NFL labor struggle.

Archived