Wide Receiver Outlook

MacReady

On 7/28/2018 at 12:39 PM, Cheech said:

Only one of the top 4 receivers this year is a deep threat, and Davis has yet to prove that he can consistently take the top off of a defense with pads on.  The utter lack of speed has hindered this offense ever since Jennings left.  About that same time Cobb and Jordy both lost a step or two.  

My biggest concern for the offense this year is that teams will sit in cover-2 with tight man coverage underneath.  Safety help will key in on 17 and 80.  That leaves 81 and 18 to beat man coverage for explosive plays.  Neither are explosive players.  

This offense desperately needs another receiver opposite Adams to play that #2 role well.  The three rookies are the only ones that have the physical tools to be dangerous and we all know that both 12 and MM simply don't trust young players.  

The offense should still be a top 10 offense with a balanced running game, but it is going to rely on moving the sticks in order to score.  

This offense has the bodies to run the football. If teams are going to try and sit back in a light box with some regularity, there is enough size to make it work.

In the passing game, Graham covered by a LB is a winning combination for us. As is Monty covered by a LB. If Graham can still play, this offense has the talent to be the most versatile we have had in a long time. 

On 7/28/2018 at 12:39 PM, Cheech said:

Only one of the top 4 receivers this year is a deep threat, and Davis has yet to prove that he can consistently take the top off of a defense with pads on.  The utter lack of speed has hindered this offense ever since Jennings left.  About that same time Cobb and Jordy both lost a step or two.  

My biggest concern for the offense this year is that teams will sit in cover-2 with tight man coverage underneath.  Safety help will key in on 17 and 80.  That leaves 81 and 18 to beat man coverage for explosive plays.  Neither are explosive players.  

This offense desperately needs another receiver opposite Adams to play that #2 role well.  The three rookies are the only ones that have the physical tools to be dangerous and we all know that both 12 and MM simply don't trust young players.  

The offense should still be a top 10 offense with a balanced running game, but it is going to rely on moving the sticks in order to score.  

I really don't buy this. He's 27. I think he's just a guy who plays well with AR12. That said, I'd certainly like one of the rookies/ect step up 

In his first 4 seasons Cobb averaged 14 yards per reception.  In 2015 he dropped to 10 yards per reception and has been there for the last 3 years.  He's lost a step and he simply doesn't compare to other deep threats around the league.  

26 minutes ago, Cheech said:

In his first 4 seasons Cobb averaged 14 yards per reception.  In 2015 he dropped to 10 yards per reception and has been there for the last 3 years.  He's lost a step and he simply doesn't compare to other deep threats around the league.  

I agree he's not a good deep threat, but I don't think he's lost a step.

34 minutes ago, Cheech said:

Cobb isn't nor has never been a deep threat. He's a slot receiver.

7 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Cobb isn't nor has never been a deep threat. He's a slot receiver.

Deep threat was the wrong choice of words.  Either way, he's clearly lost some speed.  Early in his career he was a threat to break a big play whenever he touched the ball.  He isn't that same threat in 2018.  

I think the issue with Cobb has been McCarthy's focus on attacking the perimeter as well as some injuries.

Sounds like he is healthy now, and with Jordy leaving there will be more incentive to target him, so I expect that his numbers will improve this year.

Way too early to close the book on Cobb.

I've always like Cobb - the football player. I dont get into "is a player worth his contract" stuff. Couldnt care less as thats the team's worry. On the field he's tough as nails (a reason he gets injured) has hands of glue and has made many a BIG play in a crucial down/distance...."we need this now" situation. Two seasons ago everybody was all talking about how we need to get rid of him - then he comes up with three TDs in a playoff game. Thats the money in the bank that matters to me.

3 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

I think the issue with Cobb has been McCarthy's focus on attacking the perimeter as well as some injuries.

Sounds like he is healthy now, and with Jordy leaving there will be more incentive to target him, so I expect that his numbers will improve this year.

Way too early to close the book on Cobb.

Who has closed the book?  I simply said he's lost a step and isn't as explosive as he once was.  Man....

36 minutes ago, Cheech said:

Who has closed the book?  I simply said he's lost a step and isn't as explosive as he once was.  Man....

I get caught in this trap too. It's not one post or person. It's the totality of them. There's been people writing him off for a while.

6 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I don't think Cobb is worth his contract.

I don't think Cobb is unskilled either though.

I think he's bad value for being the 3rd or 4th best option on offense.

I totally forgot we had Jimmy until just now. I've been so focused on hating Gmo lol

17 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I don't think Cobb is worth his contract.

I don't think Cobb is unskilled either though.

I think he's bad value for being the 3rd or 4th best option on offense.

I agree, but at the time he was signed he was the number two option, so Cobb had leverage on them.

That being said, I am not sure they have been using him to his full potential. His targets are way down from 2014.  He still has a very high catch rate on his targets.   In 2016, Nelson and Adams got 273 targets on 401 attempts.  That didn't leave much for Cobb and Cook.  I am sure that Adams will get a lot of targets this year, but losing Nelson's 150 targets from 2016 may make more available to Cobb.  I don't see Graham getting more than 100 targets.  I would guess there will be better balance this year.

4 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

I agree, but at the time he was signed he was the number two option, so Cobb had leverage on them.

That being said, I am not sure they have been using him to his full potential. His targets are way down from 2014.  He still has a very high catch rate on his targets.   In 2016, Nelson and Adams got 273 targets on 401 attempts.  That didn't leave much for Cobb and Cook.  I am sure that Adams will get a lot of targets this year, but losing Nelson's 150 targets from 2016 may make more available to Cobb.  I don't see Graham getting more than 100 targets.  I would guess there will be better balance this year.

Holy crap Jordy got 150 two years ago? Had to be among the leaders. Seems so long ago that would have been the case somehow.

Archived